Thread: Spontaneous speaker crackle on laptop in Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Spontaneous speaker crackle on laptop in Karmic Koala

I recently upgraded to Karmic Koala . The upgrade went flawlessly, but since then I have have noticed that the speakers give off an intermittent cracke every 10 -15 seconds , even if no audio file is being played. This happens even if if tap on the laptop Vol UP/down keys, but strangely does not occur everytime if i do it in quick succession. Seems as if some time is required for charge - like thing to build up ????. Pl. help

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit on a Compaq AMD-Turion 64-bit laptop with NVIDIA graphics card.

Beans

Re: Spontaneous speaker crackle on laptop in Karmic Koala

I am having the same issue on my HP Pavilion dv 6000. I get one crackle then one second later i get two crackles then ten seconds later it starts over again.

I hear it on both the laptop speakers and external speakers at the same time. But when I disconnect the external speakers it stops after one more single crackle.

I thought at first it may be a system sound that was supposed to be a click or tic sound, but it is not effected by the volume setting or mute.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I suspect you're using a high definition sound card? check that with lspci in the terminal.

I found the solution to this problem in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306963

It seems that the power saving feature with high definition sound card doesn't work so good.

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition AudioController (rev 01)

Problem solved after commenting the line #options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Beans

Thanks, that did it!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Worked well... thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

THANK YOU!!! That was my only problem with Karmic on my HP dv6000!