Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MySQL slow on ext4 - Karmic 64 bit?

Beans

Unhappy MySQL slow on ext4 - Karmic 64 bit?

Installed 9.10 Karmic 64 bit and updated to latest packages. I used ext4 for / partition, and kept ext3 for /home partition. Installed MySQL 5.1.37 through apt.

Struggled couple hours finding that MySQL performance was horrible when datadir is poiting to default /var/lib/mysql (ext4). Simple script which INSERT 20K rows took more than an hour (io wait was around 20%, CPU 15%). Don't see any error logs or issues, the thing is just slow.

Finally moved the datadir to /home ext3 partition, everything flies (script finished in just couple second).

Does anybody else has similar experience? The ext4 root partition otherwise works pretty well, I did "dd" testing and the io throughput is quite normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: MySQL slow on ext4 - Karmic 64 bit?

I rebuilt a LAMP server I was testing on from 9.04 to 9.10. I can confirm that inserting the dump file took a lot longer than it did under ext3. Could this be a performance issue? I believe so.

Beans

I also installed 9.10 Karmic 64 bit (ext4) and experience the same slowness in mysql. I don't have a ext3 partition to test the workaround.

Beans

I disabled the write barrier mode on the ext4 partition and that fixed it

/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,barrier=0)

Beans

Do you guys have SSD, I have SSD storage and I experienced the same problem. But. some people whom I asked never had this issue (they didn't had SSD).

Beans

Confirmed. A 128mb data import took almost 9 hours before I addeded barrier=0 to /etc/fstab After restart the same import to 5 minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had script that was running through 130+ create table statements, and it was taking nearly 10 seconds to complete on a fresh 9.10 install of Ubuntu. It used to take 0.8 seconds on my old machine, running an older version of Ubuntu (with ext3 fs). I discovered that the individual create table statements were taking 0.05 second to complete, whereas on my old system they took 0.00-0.01 seconds. Obviously that makes a big difference.

All that to say, adding barrier=0 to my /etc/fstab for my new ext4 hard drive brought things back in line with my old system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I got the same issues with the same config (64 bits Karmic server, on Ext4). So I tried adding barrier=0 to my fstab and did a restart but it didn't help. It still does a 100 simple UPDATE queries to take almost 4 seconds.

This is in my fstab:

Code:
    UUID=edc1335e-bfe2-4e5a-869c-1fa02a502b4f /               ext4    errors=remount-ro,barrier=0 0       1
    I got a software raid setup, maybe that makes difference?
    Last edited by Bruut; April 28th, 2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Textual change

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

(a humble kick)

Can at least anyone confirm that my fstab is correct?

Does the fstab apply for raid setups?

Beans

I'm running into the same issue on Lucid. I've installed 10.04 server on a software RAID0, and mysql runs painfully slow by default. The nobarrier switch, along with noatime and nodiratime seems to help, but I'm not sure the issue is completely resolved...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast