Thread: External Microphone for EeePC 701SD

Beans

External Microphone for EeePC 701SD

Prior to Ubuntu 9.10, I could never get the external microphone to be recognized for the EeePC 701SD to be recognized. Even when I plugged a microphone into the 1/8 in. jack, it still used the built-in microphone. I tried all the solutions I could find.

I recently did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on my EeePC 701SD. The external microphone jack still did not work. However, I found that the post for the EeePC 900a at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1289061 also works for the 701SD.

For me, I just changed the delivered line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf of:
    options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
    to
    options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=quanta power_save=10 power_save_controller=N

One restart later, and all was good.

Just wanted to share this if others were having the same frustration I was with the 701SD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: External Microphone for EeePC 701SD

I am brand new to the forum. i am using Eeebuntu 3.01 NBR on an Asus EeePC 701SD 8G and your advice got my external microphone working after several days of research. My alsa-base.conf did not have any snd-hda option line so I just added "options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=quanta" and alsamixer now has all the options I need. Thank you,