Thread: Will 20pin molex PSU run 24pin motherboard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Will 20pin molex PSU run 24pin motherboard?

Hello!
    I've had the good luck of being donated an ASUS motherboard with a dual core cpu.
    I've no idea what the cpu is since its not been fitted/fired up yet because I'd like to find out more before I start slotting it all together and doing the wrong thing.

I'm wanting to use the dual core with blender for rendering animations, so while I wont be loading the motherboard with power hungry graphics cards, the system will be working hard.

Has anyone run a PC with a 20 pin power supply on a 24 pin motherboard and all gone ok?
    Has it gone wrong?

Beans

Re: Will 20pin molex PSU run 24pin motherboard?

yeah you can use the power supply no problem if it has the right wattage

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gompa View Post
    yeah you can use the power supply no problem if it has the right wattage
    I've been finding a lot of conflicting information about this topic, with some websites saying "it'll be ok for a while, and then it'll melt the power connector on the motherboard."

Can you verify?

Beans
    Distro

I discovered that new PSU's have a 20 pin connector, plus the extra plug to connect as needed.

All over the internet I found a lot of sites that discourage the use of adaptors because of the likelyhood of the motherboard connector melting.

While motherboards that have the 24 pin socket will boot from a 20pin PSU, it seems to be ok for testing only.