Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: major gripe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

major gripe

Why do people think all of there hardware is going to work when it is 10 years old.It will not even run xp but they put ubuntu on there old system and all they do is whine and gripe.Have they ever looked at supported hardware? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: major gripe

People just get frustrated, it's not their fault. People really shouldn't expect Ubuntu to work on 10 year old hardware, if they must have an Ubuntu based distribution though they could try Xubuntu and see if that works. It does get annoying though when people post rants about how nothing works. Just research the problem and be done with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to The Community Cafe

edin9 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by necromonger View Post
    Why do people think all of there hardware is going to work when it is 10 years old.It will not even run xp but they put ubuntu on there old system and all they do is whine and gripe.Have they ever looked at supported hardware? NO!
    Apart from the fact that even Shuttleworth says if you have an old PC, put Ubuntu on it?

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

yeah but did he say 10 year old? probably not. what's that defining line? there isn't one. also, if you're kicking around 10 year old hardware, you need to get your head examined if you think anything new will run flawlessly on it.

edin9 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    yeah but did he say 10 year old? probably not. what's that defining line? there isn't one. also, if you're kicking around 10 year old hardware, you need to get your head examined if you think anything new will run flawlessly on it.
    Hmmm not really. The old family PC at home runs Hardy and it's ancient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is funny though, I'll try some distro on an old box and just laugh in astonishment of some of the crap it recognizes and makes work. I just stare and think, this shouldn't even run anymore. Then I hang on to it longer despite it's overall uselessness.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sometimes there are oddball things that don't work. The old Broadcom cards are notorious for not working and there's not much anyone can really do about it because the drivers needed to be reverse engineered. I had an old PIII that some kind of soundcard/modem for which there were no drivers either, hence no sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

In my experience, about 12 y/o hardware is where Xubuntu fails. I've managed to get ubuntu working on most hardware less than 10 years olds. (i.e., on a lot of machines that ran win98 )

Beans
    Hidden!

Last edited by openuniverse; January 21st, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast