Thread: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy47 View Post
    I was following post #4 in this thread.
    As per your pastebin link:
    You really did not need to go through all of that. All I have ever done to remove pulseaudio was to remove pulseaudio and gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio. Then I run gstreamer-properties and set everything to alsa. However, everything worked fine for me before I ever even bothered to run gstreamer-properties.
    Make sure alsa-base and alsa-utils and gstreamer0.10-alsa are installed. On my Xubuntu install these are the only alsa packages I have installed. (I also have libsdl1.2debian-alsa; but I don't think you even need that).
    How would I ensure that gstream and all of pulseaudio is removed?
    You could look in Synaptic Package Manager, or (what I do), install aptitude and run from the terminal:
    Code:
    aptitude search pulseaudio
    A "p" before a package means the package is purged (i.e., not installed). A "i" before a package means it is installed.
    Just install aptitude and post the output of:
    Code:
    aptitude search pulseaudio
    and
    Code:
    aptitude search alsa
    (Use code tags to post these outputs please. This is the # icon at the top of the post window).
    This will tell us exactly what you have and don't have.
    ~/.asoundrc renamed to asoundrc.bak using gksudo nautilus
    There is no need to use gksudo with configuration files in your home directory. These files are owned by you and can thus be edited or removed from your regular user account without using sudo.
    Last edited by tommcd; January 23rd, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Final chapter of this Pulseaudio party

Hey guys it looks like I have a final solution for this problem. My both ubuntu computers are working without this **** called pulseaudio also icon in notification area works and volume bar too.
    Also my friend help me resolve volume keys problem. SO :
    My ubuntu is 9.10 on big computer and 10.04 on notebook.

Zoot7 wrote a great article in this formum how to recompile panel applets to include volume applet, just one o two improvements, so step by step:

At first say goodbye to pulseaudio:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
    ... now reboot the computer to let changes take effect and after reboot we can continue with game.

... ALSA should take control over the soundsystem after this reboot, my experiences are that sound works (also sound from multiple sources at one time) you do not need to install anything and can continue to next steps ... if no, lot of posts are i this thread describing how to get sound working using ALSA, after that you can come back and continue

Open console:

satisfi depencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install devscripts build-essential fakeroot
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-applets
    CD to your home directory:
    Code:
    cd ~
    Make directory called for example "build":
    Code:
    mkdir build
    CD to this directory:
    Code:
    cd build
    get source code
    Code:
    apt-get source gnome-applets
    Then you're going to have to specify the configure options to enable the mixer applet. To do that:
    Code:
    gedit debian/rules
    ... Look for the line that starts with
    Code:
    DEB_CONFIGURE_EXTRA_FLAGS +=
    (in my case there were two lines with this, but I edited only the first and it was enough) and add another option to this line:
    Code:
    --enable-mixer-applet
    OK now trick from me... When you klick sound icon in tray (!! I mean notification area NOT indicator applet, maybe icon will appear in indicator applet too but I haven't tried it ...) the widnow with volume bar will appear. Also there is button called "Volume control" and here is the point of joke.
    By clicking this button your system want to open "gnome-volume-control" ("system >> preferences >> sound" for better imagine) which is not working because you purged pulseaudio.
    But it is possible to resolve this by editing this source file:
    Code:
    gedit mixer/applet.c
    search for:
    Code:
    gnome-volume-control
    (it is only expression in file like this, in my case line number 707) and rewrite it to any command you like, I used:
    Code:
    gnome-alsamixer
    which is program - mixer from repos and can be installed by:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer
    ... now save and close and follow to next steps ...

now we are going to build .deb packages
    first install this (i get error first time, something about gstreamer inproper version i dont remember)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
    now build debs
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -b -j4 -D
    compiling takes me about 10 minutes, after that finish CD one directory up
    Code:
    cd ..
    leave console (terminal) opened and just for sure open file browser (nautilus) in your build directory and check if there are three .deb packases named gnome-applets-"something", but no reason why shouldnt ... so continue ...

Now we can go for beer, we are close to finish ...instal this debs by
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    ...restart GDM after this (logout/login will be enough to do it)

...now FINALLY right click on panel >> add to panel >> you should see volume control somewhere ... that's it

... oops I forgot ... It's good to not allow update-manager or something another to overwrite this packages so go to system >> administration >> synaptic and search for this packages:

gnome-applets
    gnome-applets-data
    gnome-applets-dbg

... and lock them (mark package, from upper menu: package >> lock version, apply for all three packages)

In next post I want to explain using multimedia keys / function keys and notifications
    Last edited by kovo1533; January 29th, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot add something at the beginning

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122