Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grub 2 - loading slow

Beans

grub 2 - loading slow

Hi,

I've read elsewhere about slow grub 2 load times - I suffer from this with a Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot setup. Windows installed first, then Ubuntu.

Drives are setup as follows:
    hdd1 (sda) Windows OS
    hdd2 (sdb) Ubuntu OS
    hdd3 (sdc) Windows data
    hdd4 (sdd) Ubuntu data

Bios boot priority:
    hdd1

Presumably grub overwrote the MBR on hdd1 as if I change this the boot priority to hdd2, nothing happens, so no boot record on hdd2.

What I get is a delay of 15 seconds or so with "Grub loading" shown on screen. Eventually I get the choice of OSes to boot. Both boot without any problems.

I have a dual boot laptop (XP/Ubuntu 9.10) with both OSes on the same physical disk and there is almost no lag between BIOS to OS choice - I can't read the "Grub loading" screen it flashes so quickly.

Have I got something wrong in my config? Has the MBR been written to the correct hdd and is my hdd boot priority correct?

Any advice welcomed.

H0ff.

Beans

Re: grub 2 - loading slow

grub2 is still more problematic than plain grub. Read here http://aronzak.wordpress.com/2008/09...ay-from-grub2/. Also read the comments section for help on this blog page. If you struggle too much getting grub2 to load faster you just may have to install plain vanilla grub again. I am not sure what script/application is responsible for creating the menu.lst grub configuration file in Ubuntu, but else just google for menu.lst examples.

Beans

I have the same delay, it's annoying.

I have Ubuntu installed on sdb2 now, and had the 9.10 beta on sda6, which did not give me that delay, so I reckon it is related to the fact that we have ubuntu on the second harddrive.

I don't mind going back to the old grub, but how will I do this? Just go to synaptic and remove grub2, install grub? Will grub still be updated when I update my kernel? Won't other things break?

Thanks for the help, HeinzVoerbakje

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hre is some good info on Grub2:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302743

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sliketymo View Post
    Hre is some good info on Grub2:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302743
    Thank you for your reply, but it doesn't help me, it doesn't say anything on removing grub2 in favour of grub legacy. Is it possible do do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the same grub2 problem: 15 sec Grub loading. I have Windows 7 on hda and Ubuntu 9.10 on hdb with an encrypted home partition on a Dell Precision M6400 laptop. I had to use the alternate installer and had to deactivate dmraid otherwise the installer would not show two separate drives but a RAID array, although disabled in BIOS.

I have the same setup on another Desktop PC working without problems though, also Windows on hda and Ubuntu 9.10 on hdb. Grub2 loads immediately here.

It looks like Grub2 is scanning all partitons, but why, and how can I stop it to do so?
    I would also not mind to go back to grub but I would prefer to find the cause of this grub2 problem and solve it. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, seems to be this problem:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/420933

And as pointed out there the culprit is grub2 and the boot partition being on different drives. As a workaround you can do this:
    sudo dkpg-reconfigure grub-pc

Select the disk that has your boot partition as the disk to boot from. Then change the boot order in your bios to boot from that drive. This solved the problem for me, grub2 now loads immediately!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nulldevice View Post
    OK, seems to be this problem:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/420933

And as pointed out there the culprit is grub2 and the boot partition being on different drives. As a workaround you can do this:
    sudo dkpg-reconfigure grub-pc

Select the disk that has your boot partition as the disk to boot from. Then change the boot order in your bios to boot from that drive. This solved the problem for me, grub2 now loads immediately!
    Thanks, that has worked for me too (but you had a little typo) - should be:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

Followed the screens and then changed the hard disk priority in my bios and now it loads quick as.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by h0ffmeister View Post
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    Yes, also works for me, thanks for the help! Thread can be marked as solved as for as I am concerned.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I ran "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" but grub2 is still slow to load.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast