Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: grub 2 - loading slow

Re: grub 2 - loading slow

Hi all,

I've had this problem and tried all the solutions in this forum but without good result.

The solution for me was install 9.04 and then update to 9.10 ... after that the grub2, grub-pc works properly and fast.

If I am not mistaken,Grub2 isn't loaded when you upgrade? Or I think it wasn't when 9.10 came out.

Talking Re: grub 2 - loading slow

Quote Originally Posted by stempleton View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm running dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu 9.10 (separate HDDs) and also had the same problems initially with grub2 - very long waiting time for "grub loading..." at startup. I tried the "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and installed grub onto my second HDD (/dev/sdb) but it did not work when i changed my bios to boot from hd1. However, when reconfiguring grub, it told me to check the contents of "/boot/grub/" and i found that it was loading hd0 as /dev/sda and hd1 as /dev/sdb. When my bios was reconfigured, hd0 becomes hd1 and vice versa. So I changed them in my to suit and voila! it now works perfectly, almost no waiting time (faster than grub legacy) and it boots every time.

The contents of my new are as follows:

(hd0) /dev/sdb
    (hd1) /dev/sda

Hopefully if you try this solution it may be able to help those of you with similar problems to mine!

Good Luck!
    You are my hero. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
    I also have dual boot on seperate hdd. This fixed a ~5min grub lag.

Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My grub was delaying for 1 to 2 minuites before showing the Os menu, the only thing that helped was downgrading to grub 0.97~

1. Make backup copies of the main GRUB 2 folders & files. (Optional)
      • sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.old
      • sudo cp -R /etc/grub.d /etc/grub.d.old
      • sudo cp -R /boot/grub /boot/grub.old

2. Remove GRUB 2
      • sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
      • The system will be unbootable until another bootloader is installed.
      • Once the packages are removed, many files will still remain in ‘/boot/grub’

3. Install GRUB 0.97
      • sudo apt-get install grub

4. With grub installed, the user must still create the menu.lst and stage1/stage2 files by running the following two commands.
      1. sudo update-grub
        • Generates menu.lst
          • Tab to “Yes” when prompted.

2. sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
        • Choose the correct device (sda, sdb, etc), normally the one on which Ubuntu is installed.
    vik@vik-desktop:~$ sudo make-me sandwich -h -ch

Quote Originally Posted by nulldevice View Post
    OK, seems to be this problem:

And as pointed out there the culprit is grub2 and the boot partition being on different drives. As a workaround you can do this:
    sudo dkpg-reconfigure grub-pc

Select the disk that has your boot partition as the disk to boot from. Then change the boot order in your bios to boot from that drive. This solved the problem for me, grub2 now loads immediately!

worked for me too..

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have an option in my bios to change the priority of the hard drives. This option was under the option to select boot-device priority.

After reinstalling grub2 to /dev/sdc (hd2), then setting my drive priority in the bios to boot from the same drive, it worked fine.

In my instance, this had stemmed from when my Windows drive was the first device, and therefore always hosted the boot partition.

My only question now is why on earth I had never considered this earlier.

On a single-drive, clean CLI-only install, Grub2 takes 15 solid seconds to show up. (Lucid and Maverick installs)

Very odd.

Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I have that problem too. Not CLI, but it's only one drive. In fact, it's only one partition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123