Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: gnome-power-manager sucks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    850
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    gnome-power-manager sucks

    seriously, anyone have a laptop? Dont u love it when your laptop suspends in the middle of a game?

    things i hate about gnome-power-manager:

    1. No profiles.
    2. No automatic powersaving inhibit (like KDE??)
    3 .Doesn't even work all the way. (laptop users, ever close your lid and see it still shining? cause i do every time i log into gnome)

    please someone kill it!
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    KDE is best for laptops because of all its features... not to mention its design

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Mine always suspends on lid close.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Beans
    5,815
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    Mine always suspends on lid close.
    Some people don't want it to suspend they want it to only turn the screen off.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    RiceMonster: You can change this stuff in the power preferences.

    As for instances where you don't want it to suspend at all, these are meant to be controlled by individual apps. Like screensaver inhibit, they can ask for the system to not turn off. Transmission does this when it is downloading something, for example. There is an applet you can use called Inhibit Applet, which does the same thing when you click it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    850
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Some people don't want it to suspend they want it to only turn the screen off.
    which it randomly forgets to do; a huge issue on laptops.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    RiceMonster: You can change this stuff in the power preferences.

    As for instances where you don't want it to suspend at all, these are meant to be controlled by individual apps. Like screensaver inhibit, they can ask for the system to not turn off. Transmission does this when it is downloading something, for example. There is an applet you can use called Inhibit Applet, which does the same thing when you click it.
    I know, it's intentional that it suspends on lid close. I was saying it works for me . Obviously not the case for everyone, though.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Oh, I get it now. I just wasn't following the thread very well

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    676

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    which it randomly forgets to do; a huge issue on laptops.
    Not on mine.

    Gosh, why people insist on following the "I had a problem with it, thus it obviously sucks for everyone and must die" logic? Filing/confirming a bug report with details about your hardware would take less time than posting this useless rant.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    4,624
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: gnome-power-manager sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    Not on mine.

    Gosh, why people insist on following the "I had a problem with it, thus it obviously sucks for everyone and must die" logic? Filing/confirming a bug report with details about your hardware would take less time than posting this useless rant.
    This
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •