Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Xgl/compiz with Dapper, ATI, Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How To: Install Xgl/compiz with Dapper, ATI, Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by kwaanens
    Nope, no luck. Tried with the Feb. 7th version, and even rebooted to be sure. No such thing in gconf-editor.

- Ketil
    Have you tried the one from this thread?
    The tarball without 'src' in the filename contains all the .debs needed to get compiz running.

Beans

Same here, trying on a dapper flight 5... compiz not showing up in gconf-editor. Also tried removing the package from the repository, installing the one from battlehorse, removing it, and reinstalling gompiz-gnome from the repository. Btw the package installer tells me that the version from battlehorse is tagged newer than the one from the repository. Starting compiz manually also doesnt work, altough Xgl is running. Also, until now window drawing is extremly slow and laggy. I also notice that the windows are somehow splittet in two half diagonally from the lower left to the upper right corner while being drawn. I think thats caused by Xgl running that slow.

Hardware is i386 / ATI 9600pro

edit: Also the debs in the tar jocko just postet dont work for me. They installed properly, but still no compiz in gconf-editor
    Last edited by TB2; March 20th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.

Beans

Just FYI,
    I followed the directions on http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=916 and everything seems to be working well on my Dell I9200 (w/ati9700). Video playback in MPlayer is still a work in progress, but everything else seems to work ok. I did have to add the "resize" plugin after following the instructions, but am not sure why, I think when I cut/pasted it I left out the resize plugin. Anyway things seem to run pretty smoothly and I'm now looking for info to put backgrounds on the top and bottom of the cube. I disabled xv in gstreamer and tweaked mplayer a bit and things seem better, but i'm still not able to watch video fullscreen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question No Shiver effect on a window grab

i am not getting the "shiver" effect when I grab a window while using Xgl as the xserver, however I get it when I run Xgl in a nested xserver. What gives? Anybody know how to correct that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm now looking for info to put backgrounds on the top and bottom of the cube.
    I tried entering the path to an svg-file in the cube plugin's settings in gconf, but nothing happened. I also had problems changing the color of the top and the bottom of the cube; I can enter a color hex, but it just pops back to the default.

I disabled xv in gstreamer and tweaked mplayer a bit and things seem better, but i'm still not able to watch video fullscreen.
    I also have a Dell I9200, and watch movies fullscreen in Xine with no problems.

Stian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
    For some reason it is working now.

Lots of stuff seems broken though.
    GDM is acting strange. Firefox is acting strange. Evolution suffers from the problem described below.

Many, many applications (those from the "System" menu + Evolution?) have a titleless title bar which cannot be moved (so the window can't be moved, though the bar is transparant). Neither do these apps appear in the bottom bar (which lists active apps). This bottom bar is also acting strange with apps which do appear.

Also Opacity isn't working. Edit: Nevermind, it is working; shortcuts are different than listed.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Overall though, this stuff is quite amazing.
    I having the same problem. No "Close" "Minimize" "Maximize" buttons on top right window. Terminal stays "glued" to the top left screen, also without those buttons. Every window I open has no title bar.

On top of that, it freezes at the GUI login screen...or it will freeze when it loads to the desktop. I actually cannot get back in because of the freezing and I have to do a hard reboot. So, now I have to reinstall Dapper.

Awesome features, but testing needs to continue. I looked over at the NVIDIA thread and they have the worst bugs gone.

I hope we can solve these issues.

-William

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by massivevoid
    On top of that, it freezes at the GUI login screen...or it will freeze when it loads to the desktop. I actually cannot get back in because of the freezing and I have to do a hard reboot. So, now I have to reinstall Dapper.
    Just get the boot menu from grub, select one of the recovery mode kernels, enter your root password when prompted and fix your config. (I often just do a 'chmod -x /etc/init.d/gdm' to stop gdm from launching, then 'chmod +x /etc/init.d/gdm' to enable it again later on). Ctrl-D when you're done to continue booting.

Beans

As told, i've got the problem, that i can't start compiz, like some others here, and also there is no compiz entry in the cgonf-editor. I just tried a fglrxinfo, and now that was strange: It doesnt talk about mesa, nore about ati, it just tells me "Error: unable to open display :0"

I followed the tutorial, and checked my gdm.conf and gdm-conf-custom for typos, and there arent any. Is there something special about the two devices listed in the xorg.conf? There's a "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]" entry, and a "ATI Graphics adapter 0" entry. I think that after I installed the proprietary ati driver, and initialized it, the first adapter still used "ati" and the second one was changed to "fglrx". I manually switched to "fglrx" so that both devices run that driver. The ati control center doesn't work eighter, offering no FireGL stuff.

I also reinstalled the driver with no succes. I'm completely sure, that everything is configred the way, the tutorial tells.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't run fglrx (compaq evo n620c ati mobility m7 7500). I can and do run radeon driver and DRI seems to be on so I thought I would see if any xgl stuff would work.

It does but...
    1. mouse cursor is missing. it is very hard to navigate around the screen.
    2. screen does not redraw properly. when the invisible mouse moves over something it redraws.
    3. glxinfo says that I am no longer running DRI (with xgl off, DRI is on)
    4. menu popups work and I guess the wobbly plugin is working since the popups wobble.
    5. window switching is great - the OS-X switch user effect of a rotating cube. even on my setup it is smooth and fast and impressive.
    6. transparency seems to be working but the srceen is so messed up due to the lack of redraws it is hard to tell.
    7. At one point I had the login screen and a X session on the same screen - weird

I followed the instructions at the begining of this thread to the letter, but I needed to reboot after installing compiz so that the basic compiz gconf stuff is available for editting (probably a X restart would have done).

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Tried to get Xgl working, but... Here's my xsession-errors, so if someone could point out what to do :/

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tone/xsession-errors.txt

If you need some more info, then please ask, cause I don't know where to look from.

And my videocard is Ati Radeon 9600 128MB

Edit: I have Dapper Flight-5 installed

Edit2: Got it working Dunno what I did But...
    Last edited by raketti; March 26th, 2006 at 02:17 PM.

Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast