Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UNR 9.10 - classic desktop mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: UNR 9.10 - classic desktop mode

Screen shots of my Classic desktop, note in the bottom right corner the icons I added for the "Go Home" and "Force Quit" applets to turn the UNR desktop on and off.

Followed by a shot of my same classic desktop with the UNR turned on.

Click the images to enlarge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by tom4jean View Post
    Well after discovering another "glitch" in the UNR desktop;
    That if you install more then 30 games the icons in the middle of the game menu get huge and push off the bottom icons so you no longer have access to them. (this is a known problem with no known fix that I have found on another forum after it happened to me and I searched).

I have gone back through this thread and gleaning tips from everyone and went to the "classic desktop".

My steps;

1. Open "startup applications" in preferences.
    Un-checked "Maximus windows management" and "Netbook launcher". Log out and back in.

2. Removed "go home" applet from upper left corner by right clicking it and selecting "remove from panel".
    (as noted by others if you click on the "go Home" applet the UNR desktop comes back on.)

3. Remove the "window picker" applet from the top panel the same way.
    (You cant "see it" without an open window but it is in the middle of the top panel just right click anywhere and the menu is there to remove it)

4. Right click the middle of the top panel and add the "Menu Bar" applet and move it to the left top corner and lock it to the panel.
    (Don't confuse this with the "Main Menu" applet. The "Menu Bar" is the familiar Ubuntu drop down menu that includes the; "Applications", "Places" and "System" drop down menus. "Main Menu" is the generic Gnome menu that wont give you access to Places and System.)

5. Right click the middle of the top panel again and click "new panel" it should put it at the bottom of the desktop.

6. Right click the middle of the new bottom panel and add the "show desktop" applet and move it to the bottom left corner and lock it to the panel.

7. Right click the bottom panel again and add the "window list" applet and move it to the left lower corner next to the "show desktop" icon and lock it to the panel.
    (The "windows list" applet is the familiar way that open windows are shown on the panel. This is not the same as the "window picker" removed from the top panel. The "Window picker" Applet is the one some people think is part of the way maximus displays windows and they don't like it)

8. Right click the middle of bottom panel again and add the "trash applet" and move it to the bottom right corner and lock it to the panel.

9. Right click the middle of the bottom panel one last time and add the "screen switcher" applet, and once it is activated right click it go to preferences and change it to show 2 columns, then move it to the bottom right next to the "trash applet" and lock it to the panel.

I don't think I missed anything this should be the "classic desktop" arrangement.

Edit;
    I just figured out a trick to get the UNR desktop to display and then turn off again if you want to switch it on or off.
    After setting up the classic desktop add the "Go Home" and the "force quit" applets to one of your panels where ever you like. If you click the "Go Home" applet the UNR desktop starts. Then if you click the "Force quit" applet and click on an empty place on the UNR desktop and then confirm you want to "force quit" this application the UNR desktop goes off and you are back to the Classic desktop.
    Between the two applets you have a switch to turn on or off the UNR desktop.

This worked very well for me. Thank you so much!

Beans

Does anyone know how to get my ~/Desktop files displayed on my Desktop?

Beans

Follow the instructions in step #2.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix55 View Post
    Here's what I did.

Step 1: Uncheck Maximus

- Go to: System > Preferences
    - Uncheck 'Maximus Windows Management'
    - Restart the system
    New applications will not open maximized to the netbook's full screen

Step 2: Enable show_desktop

- Open a terminal window (Accessories > Terminal)
    - Enter: gconf-editor. That opens the configuration editor GUI
    - Go to the node: / apps > nautilus > preferences (click preferences)
    - On the right window (showing the parameters associated with
    preferences) scroll down to 'show_desktop' and enable (click) it.
    This will get rid of the default desktop. No need to restart.

Step 3: Add the 'Main Menu' Applet to the panel

- Right-click on the panel (mine is at the top edge)
    - Select the 'Main Menu' applet
    This will put the same menu structure as the original desktop but in a
    drop-down menu as the good old classical desktop.

I still need to fine tune things a bit further (eg make minimized apps go to a panel at the bottom of the screen rather than the top panel) but in the meantime I've got what I want the most.

Enjoy the classical desktop look.

Beans

Are those of you that are using gconf-editor to enable show desktop upgrading or new installs? I ask because I cannot adjust that key. Gconf-editor says it is unwritable. Also, I cannot adjust - in any way - the top bar. All the options to unlock the applets are greyed.

It occurs to me that these problems are because I have a clean, new install, and perhaps, I don't have the standard gnome desktop installed?

(I feel as if I have returned to the gentoo world!)

Beans

Arrow Re: UNR 9.10 - classic desktop mode

Quote Originally Posted by varanasi View Post
    Are those of you that are using gconf-editor to enable show desktop upgrading or new installs? I ask because I cannot adjust that key. Gconf-editor says it is unwritable. Also, I cannot adjust - in any way - the top bar. All the options to unlock the applets are greyed.

It occurs to me that these problems are because I have a clean, new install, and perhaps, I don't have the standard gnome desktop installed?

(I feel as if I have returned to the gentoo world!)
    If by "new installs" you mean LUCID LYNX (10.4), then the procedure is much easier:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...97#post9283097

With Karmic, I never tried changing from the tabbed interface, because it felt too much like like "jumping through hoops"

cheers,
    Last edited by eltonw; May 12th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.
    "You only live once: let's make life better for each other."
    Lenovo G-50 / AMD 2.0 GHz. Mint 17.2
    Registered Linux User #193975

Beans

thanks for all the guidance in this thread. .

i've llaterly found ( linked elsewhere iin these forums) these useful hints

http://maketecheasier.com/13-ways-to...ity/2010/02/07

i've followed the process in 9.10 and now have a very flexible desktop- tho' panels are rather crowded on my netbook

i've made some screenshots of my work in progress -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoI4wRVVjBs

i have created a couple of perl scripts attacheed to launchers to toggle elements in my setup -

enable/ disable nautilus desktop

you can use gconf-editor manually and /apps/nautilus keys to show/hide desktop should give you the right-clickable desktop

show/hide simple nbr desktop
    pkill netbook-launcher gets rid of it and the go-home applet will wake it again
    i'm looking forward to developments in Uunity inteface and DockbarX looks interesting

show/hide cairo-dock

show/hide cairo-clock

happy to post the code if any are interested. .

i'm writing this in eb4 netbook remix booted from a usb created on 9.10 - its default Orbital theme features nice icons, fine use of screen real-estate but seemingly lacks a show desktop button. several fave ubuntu apps are also not included . .

for reasons unknown to me the developers seem to have abandoned ubuntu in exclusive favour of Debian Sid.

i'm hoping to upgrade from karmic to lucid ( and perhaps maverick as it appears ) so as to continue benefit from the inestimable benefits of the Ubuntu community.and to include sid as extra repositories

P.S.

for those like me who like to tinker i've made a handful of custom launchers . .

NAUTILUS - user home
    nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U

AYOR - use root with caution - you can do damage from here

NAUTILUS - ROOT home
    gksu nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U

NAUTILUS - filesystem as ROOT
    gksu nautilus --no-desktop --browser /

ROOT terminal :
    gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

ROOT GNOME CONFIGURATION :
    gksu gconf-editor

<pad>
    onwards and upwards - per ardua ad astral avenues . . .
    way up on . . ,
    http://ip.icefactory.heliohost.org
    /http://icefactory.heliohost.org/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234