Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu needs some kind of package revisor.

Beans

Lightbulb Ubuntu needs some kind of package revisor.

Example: http://revisor.fedoraunity.org/

There's no universal set of packages, which would be as good for me as for others. Why doesn't Ubuntu LiveCD / DVD contain some kind of package revisor ( so I could choose, what to install and what not ) ?

What would such a feature mean to devs ? Would it require them to change the CD structure and make other modifications, which might lead into other problems ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Ubuntu needs some kind of package revisor.

The thing is, Ubuntu tries to target the largest possible user base. In this case that's usually new users. Most new Linux users probably won't care what gets installed by default or become confused by such option in the installer. The goal of Ubuntu's installer is to ask as few questions as possible. This would add unnecessary steps to the installer.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    The thing is, Ubuntu tries to target the largest possible user base. In this case that's usually new users. Most new Linux users probably won't care what gets installed by default or become confused by such option in the installer. The goal of Ubuntu's installer is to ask as few questions as possible. This would add unnecessary steps to the installer.
    As an example, when you install Fedora, you don't see it unless you know where it is. I mean, no one forces you to choose what to install and what not - it just includes such a feature, which can be used in cases if you need it ( and I think many of use would find it useful ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by liquidbee View Post
    As an example, when you install Fedora, you don't see it unless you know where it is. I mean, no one forces you to choose what to install and what not - it just includes such a feature, which can be used in cases if you need it ( and I think many of use would find it useful ).
    I absolutely love the Fedora installer. I can live without it, so I wouldn't say Ubuntu NEEDS a feature like that, but it would be nice.

Beans
    Hidden!

maybe they could add a ubiquity-revisor, that is not visible in the main menu/desktop, only used by pressing Alt-F4 or similar methods of launching software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

They have such a thing. The minimal installation CD has it and if not mistaken, the alternate CD also.

The LiveCD just installs a workable desktop. If you don't want it, use different ways of installing Ubuntu or just upgrade
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    They have such a thing. The minimal installation CD has it and if not mistaken, the alternate CD also.

The LiveCD just installs a workable desktop. If you don't want it, use different ways of installing Ubuntu or just upgrade
    If it's true, how do I access it ( eg., from the alternate cd ) ?

Beans

its written somewhere on the first screen you see after picking language. 'modes' i think... press f4 or somesuch. i dont have it memorized because... well, i guess i just read whats on the screen lol. then pick command line install.

PANIC: you will have to type one command in a terminal and then reboot once to get away from the terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg gdm gnome-core synaptic
    (replace gnome-core with your DE of choice.)

but, i suspect people interested in super custom installs aren't afraid of the terminal anyways.

Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

During the installation it will bring up a selection of different groups of packages along with an option to manually select other packages to install.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    its written somewhere on the first screen you see after picking language. 'modes' i think... press f4 or somesuch. i dont have it memorized because... well, i guess i just read whats on the screen lol. then pick command line install.

PANIC: you will have to type one command in a terminal and then reboot once to get away from the terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg gdm gnome-core synaptic
    (replace gnome-core with your DE of choice.)

but, i suspect people interested in super custom installs aren't afraid of the terminal anyways.

Check Revisor - Ubuntu doesn't have such a feature ( at least I haven't found one .. that's why I opened this thread ). All you can do is to perform a command-line installation and then install/configure everything manually, which isn't really what Revisor does. The idea is to have a set of default applications ( + a few additional ones, if they fit into the CD/DVD ) which can be customized ( eg., I don't need Transmission but I know that I need Ruby .. why not to give me a chance to have what I want by default ? ).

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    During the installation it will bring up a selection of different groups of packages along with an option to manually select other packages to install.
    [ shutting down my PC and checking whether this function really exists ]
    Last edited by liquidbee; November 3rd, 2009 at 06:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast