Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Installation Does Not Detect Hard Drives

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Installation Does Not Detect Hard Drives

Quote Originally Posted by mxc1090 View Post
    True.

BBUCommander I tried it both ways...no go, but thanks.

Details:

Mobo: gigabyte p35-ds3p
    CPU: 2.66 Intel E6750 Core 2
    HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10(11?) (320gb)Sata2
    HDD2: Western Digital WD3200 (320gb)Sata2
    Vid: XFX Nvidia 8600gt
    Memory: Geil 2x1gb 800mhz

(Note: Hard drives were both in a raid 0 (striping) setup before I removed windows. Since then I deactivated raid on the Mobo and formatted HDDs. I have tried 'dban' to erase the hdds, but that seems to fail wiping them.)
    ive had a bit of fun with raid drives similar to you however i found that some installers similar to ubuntu debian ect, are not all the same at automatically picking up these alterations ie when you de activate the raid using many differing methods ( ie dynamic drives lvm's partitions ect), however i found the suse install disks where most helpfull, other times i got one drive back but not the other, which seemed a little confusing. switching off the electric after the partitioning, silly but it helps. then putting my fav ubuntu back on. yep experimentation with hdd programmes sometimes works 4 you. also try pmagic 4.5 thats good.

Beans

Well, I'm through with my installation hell with Ubuntu! I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the release. The installation has several big issues and this is one of them.

I had the same issue and after messing around for hours and swapping drives I think I figures it out.

I agree that it has something to do with DMRAID. I think that the partitioner looks for "free" disks that have no MBR or something like that. I tested this out and sure enough if I added a brand new disk to the system, the partitioner would pick it up, but if i added a disk from a previous installation it would not. I was thinking that zeroing out the MBR might be the way to fix it, but I never got that far.

Beans

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by shoegoo View Post
    EDIT: Found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301697 which also links to the bug report for this issue. Solution is to apt-get remove dmraid. It worked for me.
    Ok...I misunderstood the first time. I did not understand that sudo apt-get remove dmraid had to be executed through the liveCD. Of course that would make sense, but I'm kinda slow. Anyway I tried it and it worked! That was my problem and I can now say that this is solved. Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
    I had the same problem until I ran sudo apt-get remove dmraid. I followed these steps:

1) Boot into Ubuntu 9.10 using LiveCD (without installing)
    2) Open Terminal and run sudo apt-get remove dmraid
    3) Start the installer by double-clicking on its icon on the desktop

After that, the installer could see my drives and I was able to install. One more thing, if you install GParted later, it will reinstall dmraid as part of its package. I didn't know that, installed GParted, and then when I rebooted I could no longer access my second SATA drive. When I manually removed dmraid again, everything was normal.
    This worked for me! thanks!

Beans

works here as well. thanks for posting solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

if you are like me and upgraded 1 computer and everything was fine( cause it did not have a second sata drive) then upgraded your desktop (which did have more than 1 sata drive) then you might be interested to know that removing dmraid after you have installed also worked, to be clear i did sudo apt-get remove dmraid , when it finished i rebooted and then i was able to mount my 2nd and 3rd hard drive!!
    so thanks to all of you that found the solution before me! i still think ubuntu rocks and i am now not even using windows (skipped the vista upgrade) (and i am a pc and i use ubuntu 9.10 because it is my choice it is fun and windows 7 and the miserable empire known as microsoft can keep their crap!)
    and they really should start paying the for the items they "borrow" from linux/unix
    and quit trying to patent software that has been around longer than they have.

k i am done ranting now, thanks to you all and the open source community you are the true innovators & dreamers in the world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by recluce View Post
    How can anybody help you, since you provide no details whatsoever?

lol is all i can help you out with regarding this subject.

Beans

rampage
    we are glad that you are so happy with you installation

Beans

I followed Ginsu543's recommendations to the letter, and they worked for me, too. Previously, I had a VERY bitter experience wherein I somehow managed to lose the partition table of my 250GB USB drive, which was very painful since I use it to boot various Linux distros that I install for testing, etc.

My customary practice is to install a test system onto a single partition on the drive, which is usually about 50GB. I have a GRUB (not GRUB2) installed on that spindle's MBR and from there, the grub.conf/menu.lst dispatches to the GRUB installed on the distro-specific partition. Whether this is the Best Practice or not is irrelevant - it works for me, I understand it, and can deal with strange problems as needed.

So, in this case, I booted one of the other distros, used it to (re-)format the partition I'd designated for Ubuntu, using ext3, and then shut it down, and rebooted the system with the Ubuntu installation CD. Everything went well - I made sure to, despite the vociferous objections from the installer, have GRUB2 installed on Ubuntu's partition (/dev/sdc7) only. After the installation CD completed its work and signified that it was time to reboot, I did so, and everything came up perfectly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It doesn't if the cd is broken.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast