Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could you suggest a simple, lightweight distro for my folks

Beans

Thumbs up Could you suggest a simple, lightweight distro for my folks

Hey Guys,
    First of all I would like to thank all the guys who help us new users. Ive so far managed to fix ALL my problems using the SEARCH tool. And now have a stable, up-to-date system with all the programs I want configured that way I want So for all the help...I say THANKS!

Now, Here is my question:
    Im a student and I stay away from home (in a diff country). And though I call home, I chat using yahoo and voice using skype is a very important mode of communication between me and my family. I have a decent system so Ubuntu works great on my pc. But this is what my folks have:
    A Pentium 2 - 450 Mhz
    128Mb shared ram with 32mb alloted to memory
    6Gb hard drive
    Dialup connection
    OS- Windows ME (not working anymore)

So my question to you is, Which OS (Linux) do you guys suggest? Now there is nothing but Ubuntu that I would them to use. But, looking at the system specs I really do not know if it would run at a usable level. So my dear friends, could you suggest any distribution that is simple and works on the above mentioned specs?

So far on Searching I have found that:
    1.Ubuntu is too heavy, but Xfce/fluxbox can be a way out
    2.DamnSmall Linux is good
    3.Puppy Linux runs great and I can create a custom ISO with all the programs custom added to the ISO (?)

I am currently leaning towards Puppy linux as it has the custom Iso feature (since I would have to download/burn the ISO and send it to them I can put all the applications that they would need). But since this is the only place I know that can give me a sincere suggestion..I ask you..what should I do... where should I look? Which distribution would you suggest?

Thank you for your time, suggestions and thoughts.

Beans

Re: Could you suggest a simple, lightweight distro for my folks

If Ubuntu is to heavy, only thing other I can suggest is DSL (Damn Small Linux)
    Cheers,
    Joey
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

ubuntu and xfce should work just fine on that hardware you can even install and run nautilus and gnome-volume-manager in xfce so cd's, usbdisks, and other media will automount and it is still faster than gnome other than ubuntu id go with damsmall.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

maybe xubuntu may need more ram mind not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    I think that ms's future will be a drunken and down-on-his-luck Steve Balmer on a beach somewhere in South America or the far east, trying to convince bored american tourists that he used to be important.

Beans

xfce may be too slow on that. when I had 256mb ram, xfce was slow... try openbox, fluxbox, blackbox, icewm, windowmaker, et al. there is a page on the wiki about low memory installations, I don't have the link right now, but there have been recent threads about this where I posted it.. you can search "low" on wiki.ubuntu.com and you should find that page..

Beans

First of all. Thank you for your response. You have no Idea how cool it is to see that there is someone who can tell you this stuff
    Coming back to my question:
    I have used XFCE and ICEWM and they seem to be pretty easy on resources. So would it work if I installed Ubuntu (gnome) and installed XFCE and ICEWM and used them instead of gnome? That way they can have the necessary applications and have a light-weight desktop too?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yb1011
    First of all. Thank you for your response. You have no Idea how cool it is to see that there is someone who can tell you this stuff
    Coming back to my question:
    I have used XFCE and ICEWM and they seem to be pretty easy on resources. So would it work if I installed Ubuntu (gnome) and installed XFCE and ICEWM and used them instead of gnome? That way they can have the necessary applications and have a light-weight desktop too?
    you don't even have to install gnome with ubuntu to get xfce just do a server install after it finishes and when you reach the terminal just run
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    uncomment the universe lines in the sources file save then run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Hidden!

On top of installing a light DM, make sure they use _light_ programs as well. You might want to change the resource-intensive Firefox for Opera (although some might say Firefox is lighter). Rox isn't too hard to move through and do basic operations with (file manager). Word processing (et al)? You'd want Abiword and Gnumeric for Spreadsheets. Instant messaging? If they use MSN, aMSN, if not, gaim (aMsn is lighter).

Beans

Thank you codejunkie. Now I have some Ideas.
    Since they have a very slow dialup connection. I think I can download the xfce-desktop ISo and give the codes to install it from the CD.
    By the way, would Gnome work better if I somehow figure a way to increade the RAM? I mean WindowsME was slow but it was usable. Does Gnome have a bigger foot-print that ME?
    Thanks

Beans

bored2k. thank you for the tips. NOTED!
    I am really overwhelmed here.. you guys are helping me so much here! THANK YOU!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast