Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Fuppes on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Install Fuppes on Ubuntu 9.10

This seemed to do the trick. Of course, it's always needing the plugin dir specified.

I did a recompile from this thread I was directed to(and replied to). After recompiling, I ran fuppes again and got the same error. Then I realized I was running the old, broken copy of fuppes. Tried another copy of the executable I found on my system(which I assume is the recompiled one), and it worked.

I still haven't fired up the xbox to test it, but it's actually running. It segfaults when I try the web interface, but I shall just not use that then.
    Last edited by s1500; November 9th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm wondering if anybody can get in contact with Ulrich? I've tried all three of his email addresses and I have gotten no response yet. I just want to speak to him to help him develop fuppes but If i get no response within the next week then I will spawn my own unofficial repository and keep on developing there; that will be a temporary measure but atleast it will let fuppes development continue until Ulrich pops back in.

Just letting everybody know what's going on. If your interested in helping out with fuppes in some way don't hesitate to send me a PM.
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro

The official fuppes site shows the last build as being over 2 years ago, but sourceforge shows a bit more recently.

As someone who owns an Xbox 360 + Ubuntu server downstairs, I would like to see development of this continue. It was rather disheartening to do the Ubunutu upgrade, only to have less functionality than before.

I have tried other attempts to unite the game console + server, only to find badly made software that doesn't function, and has zero documentation. One such UPNP server showed my mp3 files in "movies", and my videos in my Music folder(wow, double fail).

While I cannot contribute any development help(otherwise I would), all I could offer as a contribution would be QA testing on server + Xbox 360. Surely there's some PS3 owners that could help that side.

I would like to see this work better, a lot better. Tell non-Linux users they can stream content to their gaming console w/o Windows, and that just might turn some heads.

Beans

any news on the update?

eagerly waiting for it.

Beans
    Distro

I had good success last weekend.

First off, I must remind myself to run fuppesd, not fuppes. Fuppes is the interactive app. You will never be able to toss the process in the background. No way, no how. Impossible. It will never start as a bootable service via tinkering in webmin. Never.

I swore many moons ago I was able to get fuppes(not fuppesd) to be shoved into the background. Not anymore. So I do the same thing by running fuppesd, and it works.

So far, MP3s play.

So far, the only pictures I can view are the JPEG album artwork files. I swore I added a folder for just images, but it doesn't show in "my pictures".

Videos work okay. When I mean okay, I mean about only 40% of them work, and the remaining 60% use some codec the Xbox can't.

What GUI designer thought it would be a good idea to mix the randomize & orderly button around? To play tracks in shuffle mode, the icon must be showing 2 straight lines. I thought it would be the other way around.

So I'm going to shut down x360mediaserve & maybe just use that only for streaming station if I can get that to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I heard back from Ulrich the other day and learned a few things.

1. Ulrich does not have much time to develop fuppes
    2. There is a fair amount of cleanup to be performed
    3. I'm going to start working on fuppes with Ulrich and a complete move from git to svn is being considered. To ease development.

In response to these changes and interest in the project I might just start a blog that lets people know what is going on in the fuppes project. So far I have only:

• Made a list of bugs that need to be solved
    • Gone over the todo list with Ulrich and picked an area of the project to improve. I have chosen to improve the configuration and presentation (web interface) of fuppes first. Easy configuration leads to ease of use and should get me familiar with the project. Then I plan on making it so that as many different types of digital media can play on the xbox (or any other device) as possible.
    • All the while bugs will be solved and documentation written.

There is alot to do and only two people to do it so we could obviously use all of the help that we can get but I'll post about that elsewhere. Things are slowly picking up pace and we'll get something happening. I'll post the link to the blog here soon and then I'll post there instead.

P.S. If you google around you might find my git repository for fuppes.
    P.S. I used to have a git repository that I took down because I am now working on the main branch. Don't click on it from google because I took it down.
    Last edited by Shhnap; November 24th, 2009 at 06:02 AM.
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Shhnap, thanks for getting things moving again. I had fuppes somewhat working in the past and have been meaning to get it set up on my desktop and server in the near future. I would be happy to help out with some testing.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't get past the ./configure line.

It keeps ending with this:

Code:
    check minimum dependencies

./configure: line 16311: syntax error near unexpected token `PCRE,'
    ./configure: line 16311: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PCRE, libpcre >= 5.0)'
    I'm lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Two things may solve this problem.

1) Before trying ./configure did you remember to type in the following:

Code:
    autoreconf -vfi
    2) Do you have pkg-config installed?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install pkg-config
    If the problem still persists after that then let me know.

P.S. Also make sure that you have all of the required dependencies specified here: http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki...iling_on_Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Shhnap View Post
    2) Do you have pkg-config installed?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install pkg-config
    Ah. That was it.

I rarely ever compile programs, so I don't always know what's needed or what the various errors mean. Thanks.

EDIT: I have it working now. But when I browse the Fuppes server with my 360, all the music is lumped in one giant list. I did notice in the ./configure output that the metadata plugins weren't enabled and such. So the 360 isn't getting Artist or Album tags. It makes it a lot more difficult to create playlists (especially since I can't save the playlists, because the music isn't on the 360 itself). Of course, not all my music has proper tags, but it would be a great help if I could get that enabled. Is it possible to enable it after installation, or do I have to configure and install it again?
    Last edited by Zeikcied; November 19th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast