Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karmic: Wlan Atheros AR928X ath9k: no fix works

Beans

Karmic: Wlan Atheros AR928X ath9k: no fix works

Hello

I've been looking around since yesterday for a fix and tried several fixes to get my wireless ath9k to work on Karmic but in vain

-Tried removing ath from blacklist
    -Tried to use wicd

In all cases, the wireless disconnects after something like 10 minutes and I can't reconnect. None of this happens on Jaunty.

So I can't install Karmic because I can't install the language packages nor use it (and I don't have wires everywhere in the house). So I'm stuck with Jaunty.

Other than recompiling the kernel with ath9k, is there any other way?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Karmic: Wlan Atheros AR928X ath9k: no fix works

Quote Originally Posted by Prosis View Post
    Hello

I've been looking around since yesterday for a fix and tried several fixes to get my wireless ath9k to work on Karmic but in vain

-Tried removing ath from blacklist
    -Tried to use wicd

In all cases, the wireless disconnects after something like 10 minutes and I can't reconnect. None of this happens on Jaunty.

So I can't install Karmic because I can't install the language packages nor use it (and I don't have wires everywhere in the house). So I'm stuck with Jaunty.

Other than recompiling the kernel with ath9k, is there any other way?

Thanks
    Hi

Please visit my thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1309072
    It might help you.

Best of luck
    Dr kurian
    Last edited by drpjkurian; November 1st, 2009 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

Is it supposed to work on the liveCD? Because it didn't so, I want to make sure that, if I install it again this trick could work.

Beans

After doing this, I can't even turn my wireless card on...

Help?

Beans

Someone named sebz_ posted a solution that worked fine!

I commented the ath_pci blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf.

You check if ath9k (or ath5k) is loaded in /etc/modules

echo ath9k | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

Then you install

linux-backports-modules-karmic and linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic (and linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic-pae if you can but I didn't need it)

Reboot and all should be fine!

Beans

Then you install

linux-backports-modules-karmic and linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic (and linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic-pae if you can but I didn't need it)

This seemed to work for me with Karmic Koala on an eeePC 1000HE. (I assumed "commented" meant "commented out.")

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Then you install

Simply installing the two backports-modules worked for me on this Acer laptop with:

Code:
    06:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    It was using ath9k, and still is (presumably a newer version), so I didn't bother with the system file edits. Working so far....

Famous last words.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Prosis,

I was having the same problem with my Sony Vaio X111. I had tried everything I could (installing madwifi, ndiswrapper, turning of WPA, etc) but couldn't fix it.

I installed the 2 backport packages as you said, and it is much better.

Before the update:

- signal strenght was always between 20% and 65%, even if I was only a couple of meters from the base station
    - hundreds off log messages from wpa_supplicant (disconnecting, searching, negotiating, reconnecting)
    - needed to kill / restart my connection manually every hour or so.

After the update:

- signal strenght is 100%
    - no more error messages on log files
    - the connection is stable.

Thank you!

Beans

Then you install

I also tried the "solution" from drpjkurian, and it also shut down my WiFi. I then tried the solution you give here. During the install process, there was a warning message and a suggestion to install one additional package. At first - my WiFi was working great - but I had to boot in low-graphics mode. After I installed the additional recommended package - everything was fine. My WiFi no longer cuts out on me, but I must say that my page load times seem a bit longer. Anyway - things are MUCH better now. Thanks for your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Then you install

Thank you for this, it saved my laptop from getting Windows back.

It work just perfect on my Acer Aspire 5536 with the Atheros 928X ath9k. Now signal strength is about 80% (before it maxed out at about 30%). Now I just need to see if the dropped connections problem goes away.

Cheers,
    Nikolaj

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast