Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox on Ubuntu 9.10 can't play Quicktime Streaming

Beans

Re: Firefox on Ubuntu 9.10 can't play Quicktime Streaming

this seams to work now:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove kaffeine-mozilla mozilla-helix-player mozilla-plugin-vlc totem-mozilla xine-plugin

sudo apt-get install mplayer mozilla-mplayer
    tho i can see the news on www.apple.com like: http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video
    i can't see any of the trailers in http://www.apple.com/trailers/
    Last edited by quimkaos; January 28th, 2010 at 01:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmings View Post
    Hi!

Here's how I got Firefox 3.5 to play Apple's iPad quicktime video:
    -Closed Firefox
    -Deleted the plugins registry file. That should be in your ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile (like xxxxxxxx.default)> folder, where ~/.mozilla is generally /home/<yourname>/.mozilla. Delete the file pluginreg.dat, which firefox will recreate when it starts.
    -Using Synaptic Package Manager, ensure that the multiverse repository is enable.
    -I removed the totem mozilla plugin named totem-mozilla.
    -I installed gecko-mediaplayer, which automatically installed all of the mplayer goodness as well.
    -Also ensure that firefox 3.5 gnome-support is installed.

I think that's it - the main issue seemed to be replacing totem with the better gecko-mediaplayer/mplayer combo.

Aloha,
    -Jeff Mings
    works great thanks!!!!!

Beans

This method works for me on Lucid. Thank you for sharing it.

Beans

....on Lucid.
    I actually find the totem-mozilla plug-in to be superior to the gecko one for quicktime - particularly on sites like apple trailers.
    Now totem-mozilla buffers the complete video very quickly - about 1 - 1.5 MB/sec here
    (the same as you would typically see for flash on youtube ect., buffered fully to /tmp

Beans

Was this on Lucid? For me, the particular movie that didn't work was a little thing on Apple's site, dealing with the iWork Pages program

http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/

If I clicked on any of the links that begin with "Show me" which open Quicktime movies, I would get a message that I needed to download Quicktime.

Following Jeffmings' suggestions, however, enabled me to do so.

Note that I hadn't tried any other Quicktime movies prior to that.

Also, if you're not referring to Lucid, then perhaps the difference in what we're experiencing is simply due to Lucid being in Alpha at this point.

Beans

This is my first post here. I've just switched back to Linux after many years and must say I'm quite impressed with Ubuntu 9.10. Everything just worked right out of the box. Well almost everything. And thats why I'm here. After reading this thread, I got Quicktime streams to work from the Apple site. However, there is one site I just cant seem to be able to play with any plugin. Any Quicktime streams from beeline.tv don't work. The mplayer plugin says buffering and then says stopped. I've played around with cache and other settings in the plugin, but that didn't seem to work. Can anybody try and see if they get the same problem. Here is a direct link:

Code:
    http://www.mysteryfree.tv/unicast_embed/AFTVMysteryH264500.html

Beans

Hi!

-Closed Firefox
    -Deleted the plugins registry file. That should be in your ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile (like xxxxxxxx.default)> folder, where ~/.mozilla is generally /home/<yourname>/.mozilla. Delete the file pluginreg.dat, which firefox will recreate when it starts.
    -Using Synaptic Package Manager, ensure that the multiverse repository is enable.
    -I installed gecko-mediaplayer, which automatically installed all of the mplayer goodness as well.

I think that's it - the main issue seemed to be replacing totem with the better gecko-mediaplayer/mplayer combo.

Aloha,
    -Jeff Mings
    After following these instructions I can play embedded WMVs but not embedded Quicktime. On a Quicktime page nothing ever happens if I press play. Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit here, with all the latest updates applied.

Beans

Hi!

-Closed Firefox

Aloha,
    -Jeff Mings
    I've done that, now instead of showing me to get quicktime, it appears to start to play, but it keeps saying connecting. Any idea?
    I'm on 9.10 netbook remix with firefox 3.6

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by f1champ View Post
    I've done that, now instead of showing me to get quicktime, it appears to start to play, but it keeps saying connecting. Any idea?
    I'm on 9.10 netbook remix with firefox 3.6
    bump it back down to 3.5.8 and it's working now.

if anyone has solution for 3.6, please post. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi!

-Closed Firefox

Aloha,
    -Jeff Mings
    Many thanks for this. Appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast