Thread: Compiz suddenly fails (ATI Radeon Xpress 200M)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Compiz suddenly fails (ATI Radeon Xpress 200M)

I recently did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) on my computer, and Compiz was enabled by default and working correctly. I wasn't using any proprietary drivers. I unsuccessfully tried to update my graphics card drivers, which didn't end up changing anything. I added fglrx-amdcccle and all of its dependencies, but it wouldn't run. It quit with an error telling me that it didn't detect an ATI graphics card and that I should run aticonfig.

Anyway, I noticed that Compiz had been disabled, and attempting to re-enable it lead to a "desktop effects could not be enabled" error. Running compiz from the terminal returns:
    Code:
    $ compiz
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present. 
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present. 
    aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
    I tried removing fglrx-amdcccle, but that didn't change anything. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans

Re: Compiz suddenly fails (ATI Radeon Xpress 200M)

fglrx dropped support for radeon 200m back in march 09.

You should be using the open source radeon driver.

I haven't updated my laptop to karmic yet, but compiz was working with the radeon driver in jaunty. (it also has a 200m)

post your xorg.conf

you might want to try making a backup of xorg.conf, then removing it, and let xorg auto configure your display.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have 200m card and the open source driver is working 4 me in karmic. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver (I didn`t configure X.org and below it........, Am I need to?) and compiz is working.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all the help!

I was fairly certain I forgot to remove some fglrx-related package, so I booted into the Live CD (which was able to use compiz) and checked to see which packages it had installed. It turned out all I needed to do was remove the packages "xorg-driver-fglrx" and "fglrx-kernel-source" and restart X. Everything is working smoothly now. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Altay_H; November 1st, 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had the same problem with my old Toshiba Satellite M 70 (Radeon Xpress 200M) I solved the problem with the following:

1: remove xorg-driver-fglrx if installed (complete removal)
    2: remove fglrx-amdccale if installed (complete removal)
    3: copy xorg.conf
    (ok, go to terminal, then cd /etc/X11 , then sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.MyCopy)
    if things go wrong later, restart with recovery, login, and copy back into xorg.conf)

3 and then simply DELETE xorg.conf (ok, sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

After this, I get my laptop working with the ati driver. To check, I type:

lspci | grep VGA

and I get

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

and everything runs fine. I have the old 1440x800 resolution that I used to have with 9.04

Cheers...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

... I meant, 1280x800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a laptop (Compaq V5000) with a ATI xpress 200m. I did not upgrade but, started fresh 32bit... video does work with kernel 2.6.31-14, even Compiz and video seem to run smoother than in 9.04 however the kernel mode-setting ATI drivers seem to be still a work in progress as if I switch users, suspend or hibernate it resumes to a black (blank) screen with no recourse but to reset. Has anyone had success with this? I hope that there is enough of us complaining to make this a priority to fix soon.

Beans

I recall an issue way back that to fix the suspend issue, gdm had to be restarted...now that 9.10 is using a different login manager, I wonder if that issue came back.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by peakpc View Post
    I hope that there is enough of us complaining to make this a priority to fix soon.
    There is a lot of complaining about suspend resuming to a black screen on this thread. I suspect there are multiple different issues there, but at least some of them involve ATI graphics cards and are likely to be complaining about this particular issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsampaio57 View Post
    I had the same problem with my old Toshiba Satellite M 70 (Radeon Xpress 200M) I solved the problem with the following:

1: remove xorg-driver-fglrx if installed (complete removal)
    2: remove fglrx-amdccale if installed (complete removal)
    3: copy xorg.conf
    (ok, go to terminal, then cd /etc/X11 , then sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.MyCopy)
    if things go wrong later, restart with recovery, login, and copy back into xorg.conf)

3 and then simply DELETE xorg.conf (ok, sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

After this, I get my laptop working with the ati driver. To check, I type:

lspci | grep VGA

and I get

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

and everything runs fine. I have the old 1440x800 resolution that I used to have with 9.04

Cheers...
    I am running jaunty 9.04 and I have been running the free radeon driver (with direct rendering). However, because the 3-d acceleration is almost non-existent at this point, I attempted to build the AMD 9.3 driver for jaunty. It did build and install, but it also gave the incorrect xorg version. Removing the proprietary driver was stupidly problematic. I had done all of the --purging of packages. However, I had copied the fglrx.ko directly into the /video directory in the appropriate kernel tree. Without an xorg.conf file, the system actually loaded this flawed module! I only mention this as a cautionary story. The open source driver is quite adequate for viewing movies, and even for running compiz. However, for real 3-d applications, and I'm not talking about games, it's virtually dead in the water. I thank the group working on the open driver because what works, works very well. I also wish them the best of luck in wringing the best 3-d performance out of the Xpress 200M chip set.