Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Quote Originally Posted by nboddie View Post
    here you go
    I didn't find a problem with your logs that explains the problem...

Can you install the latest update (2.1), open a terminal and run the following:
    Code:
    $ pulseaudio-equalizer.sh debug
    When the process finishes, attach the newly-created ~/Desktop/pulseaudio-equalizer.log file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

installed 2.1, ran the debug script - log attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

installed 2.1, ran the debug script - log attached.
    I don't see any problems with those logs... everything should work fine.

You only have a problem if you choose "Keep Settings" (save the configuration), and then log out and back in?

Also can you confirm if the equalizer works in the current session (i.e. "EQ Enabled", or the "enable" script option)?

Perhaps give it another try, because I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Edit: you should re-download and install the 2.1 deb, as I re-uploaded with a fix. There was a slight error in the script causing the interface not to apply settings correctly (but it didn't affect the accuracy of the debug logs you sent).
    Last edited by psyke83; November 10th, 2009 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK,

Here's what I see now.

Leave 2.1 enabled.
    restart system
    when it comes up - no sound at all
    fiddle with volume, sound preferences, equilizer (applying different presets, etc.) still no sound - leave sound up all the way (still no sound)
    Run pulseaudio-equilizer.sh debug
    volume applet has restarted, and now the sound is all the way down - move it up
    play a song and now there is sound
    The debug log is attached -
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

OK,

Here's what I see now.

Leave 2.1 enabled.
    restart system
    when it comes up - no sound at all
    fiddle with volume, sound preferences, equilizer (applying different presets, etc.) still no sound - leave sound up all the way (still no sound)
    Run pulseaudio-equilizer.sh debug
    volume applet has restarted, and now the sound is all the way down - move it up
    play a song and now there is sound
    The debug log is attached -
    It seems that your ALSA sink input is not initialized properly when PulseAudio is first run on your system, which causes a failure when setting up the equalized (LADSPA) sink. I'm not sure what's causing this issue, but here is a possible workaround:

• Apply the preset/custom bands that you want. Ensure that "Enable EQ" is checked, but "Keep Settings" in unchecked.
    • Add a new GNOME startup entry which executes the following:
      Code:
      sleep 10; pulseaudio-equalizer.sh interface.applysettings

You may also notice that your login sound is not equalized along with some interruption in audio within the first 10 seconds of login - that's to be expected.

I'd appreciate to know if that helps.
    Last edited by psyke83; November 10th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK,

So now you'll think I was crazy

I put together the startup script as you suggested, and in prep for putting it in I did:

pulseaudio-equalizer.sh enable
    pulseaudio-equalizer.sh enable-config
    rebooted

AND EVERYTHING WORKED!!! Without the startup script!!!
    How disturbing....

SO at this point all seems well - maybe it was the 2.1 version? maybe I rolled the dice and came up sevens?

I'm flummoxed.

But at least for now I have equalized sound back....

Thanks for your efforts, if it hoses up again I'll post back here.

Cheers,

Ned

Beans
    Distro

OK,

So now you'll think I was crazy

I put together the startup script as you suggested, and in prep for putting it in I did:

pulseaudio-equalizer.sh enable
    pulseaudio-equalizer.sh enable-config
    rebooted

AND EVERYTHING WORKED!!! Without the startup script!!!
    How disturbing....

SO at this point all seems well - maybe it was the 2.1 version? maybe I rolled the dice and came up sevens?

I'm flummoxed.

But at least for now I have equalized sound back....

Thanks for your efforts, if it hoses up again I'll post back here.

Cheers,

Ned
    I managed to replicate the issue, but I don't know what are the exact conditions that cause the problem.

Every time you click "Apply Settings", the configuration file will be re-written to ~/.pulse/default.pa (to update the control values). However, sometimes the bash script will not identify the master (ALSA) sink properly and write a blank entry instead of the master sink name.

I suspect there's some kind of timing issue/glitch when changing PulseAudio's running state. I'll have a look through the script and try to change it so that it works more reliably.

Beans

[QUOTE=psyke83;8210866]

(pulseaudio-equalizer.sh) from this post.

Hi psyke83

Need your help from this post. I have Karmic with all of the latest current patches and updates. Pulse Audio working fine, followed your guide, except for two issues.

Firstly could not find your script (edited out from the rest of your post above), so could not follow the instructions further, in connection with your script.
    Secondly Pulse Audio does not hold my bass / low frequency emitter, between songs, all other surround channels fine (checking with Pulse Audio Volume Meter and can hear the audible difference) using Rhythmbox, XMMS, Totem or any other multimedia player. I have to invoke the bass channel by clicking on the desktop shortcut, and selecting a preset (most common one I like for my listening is "Soft"). Then the bass kicks in.

Any idea how I cna fix this to permanently activate and keep the low frequency channel active.

Regards
    Andrew Brown aka Screwbottle

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbottle View Post
    Firstly could not find your script (edited out from the rest of your post above), so could not follow the instructions further, in connection with your script.

The bash script is packaged in the .deb file, gets installed to "/usr/bin/pulseaudio-equalizer.sh", and is no longer intended for direct use (as a GUI now exists). Please ignore the "v1.8" instructions, they're redundant.

Secondly Pulse Audio does not hold my bass / low frequency emitter, between songs, all other surround channels fine (checking with Pulse Audio Volume Meter and can hear the audible difference) using Rhythmbox, XMMS, Totem or any other multimedia player. I have to invoke the bass channel by clicking on the desktop shortcut, and selecting a preset (most common one I like for my listening is "Soft"). Then the bass kicks in.
    The "Keep Settings" option will ensure that PulseAudio always uses the equalizer settings (so it will survive a logout/restart/crash).

Keep in mind that this script's function is to provide software equalization alone - it does not take advantage of hardware bass/treble/equalizer functions. Also, I don't have a surround setup here, so I can't test if the LADSPA sink works correctly for all channels (perhaps not).
    Last edited by psyke83; November 10th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    The bash script is packaged in the .deb file, gets installed to "/usr/bin/pulseaudio-equalizer.sh", and is no longer intended for direct use (as a GUI now exists). Please ignore the "v1.8" instructions, they're redundant.

The "Keep Settings" option will ensure that PulseAudio always uses the equalizer settings (so it will survive a logout/restart/crash).

Keep in mind that this script's function is to provide software equalization alone - it does not take advantage of hardware bass/treble/equalizer functions. Also, I don't have a surround setup here, so I can't test if the LADSPA sink works correctly for all channels (perhaps not).
    Hi psyke83

Thanks for the prompt reply. Ummm I think there could be a problem with LADSPA sink for a multichannel setup. I followed your instructions "Keep Settings", rebooted and still the low frequency channel drops out, until I use the PulseAudio EQ. At least now after the reboot, it is holding my chosen EQ, and the low frequency, once selected via the PA EQ, over multiple songs. A small bug to live with until a fix is found. I'll keep tinkering.

As a matter of interest, in case this helps you, the sound chip is an onboard Realtek HD 82801I (LPCI string Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)), with 7.1 surround sound capability, although I use it with a Yamaha 5.1 surround analogue speaker setup. I know the chip set in LSPCI indicates Intel, as I think Realtek supply the silicon setup, and Intel dope it into their chipset, the X38 chipset, the mobo a MSI X-38 Diamond.

But other than that your instruction and technique from yourself and sbersier have definitely helped in "improving" my Linux sound. So to both of you your posts are very much appreciated, even for us long time Linux users.

Regards
    Screwbottle

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast