Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

I have just upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and nothing seems to work any-more. Programs start and then crash immediately, sound has gone haywire and my computer has become so slow that using it is unpleasant. Fortunately, I still have another laptop that I have just seamlessly upgraded from XP to Windows 7.

If you are still using Ubuntu 9.04 DON'T UPGRADE to 9.10 !!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

What a load of balonie,As its new there OBVIUOSLY will be issues,i upgraded and it all worked for me apart from the sound which was a bit crackly,people have to give this time,its new out and issues will get fixed,however if your on 9.04 like i am i suggest waiting a few weeks when until things get ironed out a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You are OBVIOUSLY a very canny Scot because you yourself have stayed away from the 9.10 upgrade. You must have more experience of these problems than I ?
    Meanwhile Windows delivers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ubalderdash View Post
    You are OBVIOUSLY a very canny Scot because you yourself have stayed away from the 9.10 upgrade. You must have more experience of these problems than I ?
    I beg your pardon?whatever bud im not going to argue with you,ive stayed away for a reason,im going to do a clean install so i benefit from ext4 and grub 2 and ive ordered my cd from the ubuntu team and honestly cant wait to get it,as ive already stated it works fine for me but sound a bit crackly, happy halloween to the world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubalderdash View Post

I'm not getting into M$ baiting, coz the mods don't like it, but .... SP2 in XP killed a lot of computers, as did Vista. Both taxed my patience to the nth degree as I tried to get computers in business working again. -- The difference ? A call number, on hold, to someone reading from a script that they have been given, to read out ---> Here ? the people who have issues get personal responses to their problems.

Anyone who has not
    A) booted in LiveCD Mode
    B) Not backed up

Should be denied ANY support, but we do not - someone on the forums takes time to help them, no matter what they've done - including re-partioning their hard drive and wanting the data back !!

Just my tuppence.

Phill.

KOALA & HAPPY

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    I'm not getting into M$ baiting, coz the mods don't like it, but .... SP2 in XP killed a lot of computers, as did Vista. Both taxed my patience to the nth degree as I tried to get computers in business working again.
    Actually, it was SP3 that killed a lot of XP computers... didn't hear about any problems with SP2.

Still, I really, really wish my upgrade from 9.04 was flawless. You'd think they'd have it down by now, and have tested it.
    Every time I hear the word "Progress" my fur bristles!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just had a flawless upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 -> no problems seen till now. I cannot imagine how much the developers should have worked to come up with such an automatic upgrade. Thanks guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have only upgraded twice. Once from Edgy to Fiesty, it failed badly and then from Fiesty to Gutsy, again it failed badly. For every other Ubuntu release I have always done a clean install and have never had a single issue.

Karmic if fantastic, it is very quick. For the first time ever Compiz has worked out of the box, flawlessly. I'm very impressed with it.

Beans

I am using 9.10 fine on the old IBM, no problems at all. Mind you are do not use a desktop GUI, no need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Here's to all the W7 lovers
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...rt_firm_warns_
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...des_Microsoft_

I guess you'll now start saying W7 is a disaster and shouldn't have been released, right?

An answer has yet to be found for all users, who began reporting the problem last Friday after watching the upgrade stall two-thirds of the way through the process. Most users said that their PCs had displayed an error that claimed the upgrade had been unsuccessful and that Vista would be restored. Instead, their PCs again booted to the Windows 7 setup process, failed, then restarted the vicious cycle.
    Oh yeh, that reminds me, Windows XP should never had been released before 2004, when sp2 was ready.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; October 31st, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast