Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Ya See! Now Ralph Hinckley is a newbie that I am proud of! He has the Linux/Ubuntu spirit.

What happened to you ubalderdash? People that are like ubalderdash should be ashamed of themselves.

Did I mention full disk encryption and 64Freakin' Bit?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akiratheoni View Post
    Clean install > Upgrade. That's all.
    Correct
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

"Fortunately, I still have another laptop that I have just seamlessly upgraded from XP to Windows 7."
    Phew. I'm glad you mentioned that.
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans

Hey, I'm just a glutton for punishment. I just couldn't resist the upgrade option,(right after fixing 8.10 that crashed after some physical abuse damaged some sectors on 500g HD), I JUST HAD TO SEE IF IT WOULD WORK. IT DID! got 9.04, updated, all seemed to work, so immediately tried 9.10 and it too worked - mostly. Had the clicking audio, lost HAL's voice for the syst sounds (ultimate 2.0), media players crashing, and maybe a couple of other minor issues, (I don't remember), maybe caused by myself.
    Then I got the great idea of doing a dual-boot and putting on ultimate 2.0 again to compare the two. That worked, almost. Ultimate 2.0 (8.10) boots fine, but 9.10 crashes at mountall-job failed to start and then stalls a few lines later at the midi part. Safe mode is not booting right either, as soon as the repair screen appearers, it gets corrupted by lines of start-up code writing over it.
    Looking at the bugs, there seems to be a problem with 9.10 and older kernels like I have cause I upgraded instead of a fresh install.
    So, like I said, I must love being punished. I do it to myself constantly. Think even if I had read this post before, I would have done it all the same anyway.
    All that said, it would be nice if things were a little more worked-out. If it were bth73/idiot-proof, it would be perfect.
    Last edited by bth73; April 5th, 2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For Windows or for Linux, clean install it is, so many issues reported in Win7 forums by users of Vista who upgraded whereas those who did clean install hardly every come with any issues. Same goes for Ubuntu or any other Linux distros except for rolling releases.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

I made the mistake of upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 when it first came out. i had MAJOR bugs. im still at 9.04 and enjoying it their. whenever you upgrade fix all the errors one by one and be patient, it will stable out. ive done it
    Email Me For Free Support: sonny@tekkidd.com
    Find me on twitter: @tekkidd @w95error
    My Blog: http://tekkidd.com/
    Laptop: Mac OSX 10.7 (Macbook 13") | Desktop: Debian Squeeze

Beans
    Hidden!

A couple of months ago I revamped my system and installed LinuxMint 8 Helena 32-bit which is my main, daily-use OS, dual booting with Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit for the two (only two!) pieces of Windows-based software that I can't live without. LinuxMint (for those who don't know) is based on Ubuntu. Previously I had a quad-boot setup that included Ubuntu 9.04 and Win XP SP3. I really liked 9.04, but like many always want the next big thing. I upgraded the existing Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, and was pretty disappointed at the upgrade. I then cleaned it all off my drive and did a fresh install of 9.10, which turned out much better, but ended up switching to LinuxMint which seemed to give me a better web experience out of the box.

Generally speaking - and I think this applies to all OSs, not just Ubuntu - fresh installs beat upgrades hands down. I've been working with computers ever since Commodore started selling VIC-20s and Radio Shack sold TRS-80s, so I do have experience with software upgrades and installs. Software, particularly an operating system, is complicated, and software engineers are human and prone to mistakes. Development tools are a big help, but can only do so much. Add to that the amazing variety of hardware which needs to be supported, and it is a wonder that stuff actually works.

I'm not leaving Linux anytime soon, but I'm always going to look for the best experience for the time I invest. Remember, the flip side to all this free software we enjoy is user feedback to the development team. Search the forums, submit bug reports, etc. Be heard!
    AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Galaxy NVIDIA GT620 2GB, Biostar A880G+ mobo, dual-booting LinuxMint 14 Nadia MATE 64-bit , Windows 7 64-bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tekkidd View Post
    I made the mistake of upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 when it first came out. i had MAJOR bugs. im still at 9.04 and enjoying it their. whenever you upgrade fix all the errors one by one and be patient, it will stable out. ive done it
    Why not just back up your stuff and clean install from the get-go? It will be faster and you will have less/no problems. I've seen people spend days trying to get an upgrade to work correctly, which doesn't make sense to me from a time standpoint. A clean install will not take days to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've been using 9.10 for months now. Initially there were problems with pulse audio, but a little research here and elsewhere cleared that up. Another problem turned out to be a video card that was dying a slow death. Recently, my old motherboard gave out, so I took my old memory and hard drive (one with 9.10 on one partition and XP on another) out of the dead pc and slapped it into another. I still can't boot up XP without the BSOD. Ubuntu just worked. No fuss. No muss.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728