Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

When I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 quite a lot was strange at the first boot. Sound wasn't working and the notification system was messed up, but after a few reboots everything was fine. To avoid similar troubles this time I just reinstalled from scratch, which worked without any issues (although it didn't recognize my wifi card at first).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    ::SIGH:: You mean you didn't check your system out with the LiveCD ???

Read my blog....

phill.
    Doesn't say anything about "LiveCD" it just says "Upgrade Now"!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ubalderdash View Post
    You are OBVIOUSLY a very canny Scot because you yourself have stayed away from the 9.10 upgrade. You must have more experience of these problems than I ?
    Meanwhile Windows delivers.
    I beg your pardon?whatever bud im not going to argue with you,ive stayed away for a reason,im going to do a clean install so i benefit from ext4 and grub 2 and ive ordered my cd from the ubuntu team and honestly cant wait to get it,as ive already stated it works fine for me but sound a bit crackly, happy halloween to the world

Beans

Woah there! I can see things didn't go too well with your upgrade and it sounds like it really got to you, but let's try to keep things in perspective here.

It's open source and it's brand new. Of course it's going to have bugs! I've just spent my one fee day this week tying in vain to get Karmic to connect to my wireless network. No joy yet, but I'm trying to keep focused on the sense of satisfaction I'll get once I crack it!

That my friend is the joy of linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfHell View Post
    Exactly, thats for any operating system, not just Ubuntu.
    Somebody had better tell Ubuntu! They are the ones who tell us to "Upgrade now".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks captainpasty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubalderdash View Post
    You are OBVIOUSLY a very canny Scot because you yourself have stayed away from the 9.10 upgrade. You must have more experience of these problems than I ?
    Meanwhile Windows delivers.

I'm not getting into M$ baiting, coz the mods don't like it, but .... SP2 in XP killed a lot of computers, as did Vista. Both taxed my patience to the nth degree as I tried to get computers in business working again. -- The difference ? A call number, on hold, to someone reading from a script that they have been given, to read out ---> Here ? the people who have issues get personal responses to their problems.

Anyone who has not
    A) booted in LiveCD Mode
    B) Not backed up

Should be denied ANY support, but we do not - someone on the forums takes time to help them, no matter what they've done - including re-partioning their hard drive and wanting the data back !!

Just my tuppence.

Phill.

KOALA & HAPPY

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TrekCaptainUSA View Post
    True with all operating systems.
    The problems with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 upgrades recently are a prime example of that.

IMO the best option is to shove /home on a separate partition, then re-installing (if need be) is a lot less painful.

Personally I gave up on upgrades after Hardy -> Intrepid broke everything.

Beans

I am using 9.10 fine on the old IBM, no problems at all. Mind you are do not use a desktop GUI, no need.

Beans

I have been using 9.10 for about 1 week now with no major problems. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10rc then just made sure i got all the updates.

I tried windows 7 for 6 months , it seemed way to focused on appearance, it did not load my lan (xp did ) , it did not find the sound blaster sound card (xp did ).

Windows 7 would have required me to purchase about $ 1800.00 in software and computer upgrades ( not counting Windows 7 itself ) to keep running it.

I am very satisfied with Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. They both function very well.

But they are not perfect nor is Windows 7 or Winxp perfect.

So i would recommend you look at your logs and see if you can figure out where the problem is ?

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast