Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

I think what Canonical should do is to create an /home partition and make the installer use that partition automatically.

That way, a clean install will not be a huge deal, the user will only have to install the applications he used earlier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi,

Wow!

OK. I've read every post in this thread. I'll try to keep it simple.

1. Thanks fellow Devs for your brilliant efforts in creating this release (9.10) - it has much to commend it.

2. As several posters in this thread have suggested some end-users (newbies especially) are better off doing a full data backup followed by a full re-install (rather than an upgrade).

3. The "mods" here are (correctly in my opinion) tolerant of constructive criticism - I've made some of my more negative comments known regarding 9.10 elsewhere in these forums.

4. I concur with Jared that it runs around 50% faster than 9.04 (including the all-important glx for gaming purposes! - (yes, I have run the benchmarks) ).

5. "Suspend and Resume" is much improved. Most welcome.

All said and done, it's a great job well done! That said I personally have a few issues with 9.10 compared to 9.04 (notably the default "theming") though I'm sure we'll all work it out together! ... no one's forcing you to upgrade / re-install ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Have done a clean install on two of my four machines (/home retained on seperate partition) with no problems at all. I upgraded my EEE as I couldn't find a spare USB key and the result is rather flaky so I would agree that if possible, a clean install is the way to go.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

We worked very hard this cycle to get things running--this time thru it was harder than most due to the dual-wammy of a new grub & a "new" GDM (really--we were very far behind everyone else on GDM--we had kept 2.20 for far too long!!! It was becoming very hard to port it forward)....There will be PLENTY of backports this time--with the constant evolving of Grub2----The SUM (Start-up Manager) developer working to get a SUM2 out that will make editing the new Grub MUCH easier & the "hoped-for" blending of the new config for GDM into the Appearances panel......

Hang in there!!! I'm going to Lucid-testing development & we will be testing (hopefully) all of these within the next couple of months--everyone keep an eye on the UDS for where Lucid-development is going....
    Last edited by autocrosser; November 1st, 2009 at 06:07 AM.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Again if you don't want to hit bugs then stick with LTS release please instead of complaining! Don't tell someone else what not to do though! There are tons that are on 9.10 me included that have no problems with it and everything is working fine! New technologies were shoved into it to test before next LTS release so everything is stable! Don't want to be on front line and hit bugs then just stick with LTS! But don't keep starting these dumb avoid 9.10 threads when me and tons other have no problems with it and the ones that do are reporting the bugs instead of complaining and starting 500 of these threads! End!

I also recommend to all to fresh install 9.10 since the new filesystem aka EXT4 and grub2 etc... just makes it all easier for integration and for it to work and to take advantage of new filesystem!
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubalderdash View Post
    I have just upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and nothing seems to work any-more. Programs start and then crash immediately, sound has gone haywire and my computer has become so slow that using it is unpleasant. Fortunately, I still have another laptop that I have just seamlessly upgraded from XP to Windows 7.

If you are still using Ubuntu 9.04 DON'T UPGRADE to 9.10 !!!
    ubalderdash works for microsoft

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubalderdash View Post
    You are OBVIOUSLY a very canny Scot because you yourself have stayed away from the 9.10 upgrade. You must have more experience of these problems than I ?
    Meanwhile Windows delivers.
    That's all I had to hear.

/thread.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Stay away from 9.10 !!!!!!!

Beware troll-feeding......
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My reply to the Initial Post:

"the Sky is Falling!, the Sky is Falling!..."

In my case I too had trouble; I tried an in place Update (via many ways including apt-get and Update via CD) over the top of 9.04.

I ended up Fubar'ing my OS install, but I was able to recover.

You are at the early adopter bleeding edge right now and if you don't either wait for the pioneers to try it 1st or make your own precautions against calamity then you may have more trouble than it's worth.

Just because 9.10rc came out isn't a compelling reason to 'break' your existing install.

Research it 1st, maybe wait awhile; let it shake out.

Then you can bitch mighty and wholeheartedly, and with gusto!

berk
    PS- Despite the name calling, it all comes down to one salient point: "Because I had trouble, EVERYBODY should stay away..." is a stupid bit of advise.
    Last edited by TBerk; November 1st, 2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typos and addendum

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10 works just fine. I just overhauled my computer. Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. I had problems in the past with the software when I upgraded via the update manager. It seemed to make Ubuntu grow and get cluttered after every OS upgrade. The best thing to do is to uninstall completely your current version of Ubuntu and then reinstall the new version. This makes it a clean system and will run more smoothly and quickly. And for anyone with Flash problems, make sure you run the update manager first and install the firefox updates before trying to install flash. People usually have issues with flash install when they don't do this.

Follow me on Twitter @JeffP13

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast