Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.10 so far ok on HP G60-123CL

Beans

8.10 so far ok on HP G60-123CL

Nothing is more frustrating than buying a new laptop only to find nothing works on it except for the factory installed Vista. That's where I was with my new HP G60-123CL I bought at Costco Wholesale. Even got into an argument with my wife due to my frustrations.

I tried Xubuntu 8.04 and video, wireless, and who knows what else, didn't work. Tried Linux Mint...wouldn't boot. Tried OpenSUSE, failed at least video and wireless. Even tried Windows XP and it couldn't correctly identify the hard drive! (saw 130G when I have a 320G)

Xubuntu 8.10 was my last attempt before returning the laptop and moving to paper and pencil. Saved...well, so far.

Video needed the v177 proprietary driver, audio worked out of the box, and even wireless worked out of the box. I haven't tried everything like the mic, webcam, modem, etc. But with video/audio/wireless working, I'll at least not be returning the laptop this weekend.

I'll post updates as I find out more. One thing I did notice doesn't work is the touchpad "disable" button. This laptop has a button at the top of the touch pad which, in Vista anyway, disabled the touchpad. This is kinda nice so that you don't highlight and erase text. Xubuntu doesn't seem to handle this. Though you can imagine it's a very small issue.

So to the Xubuntu team for 8.10...nice job and thank you! Now I need to go make peace with my wife.

--GPenguin

Beans

Re: 8.10 so far ok on HP G60-123CL

As promised I'm back to report a bit more. Specifically I tested the suspend and hibernate from the "power" switch on XFCE and also tested just closing the lid.

First, I went to "shutdown" but hit 'suspend'. The system "seemed" to suspend just fine so I shut the lid. Waited a few and then opened the lid. The system seemed to come back just fine. However, whenever I tried to do *anything*, no luck. I tried to quit...nothing. I tried to close the running app...I got an error dialog. I pressed the power button on the machine and got an I/O error on sda1. I went to console #1 (Alt-F1) and attempted to login as root...I/O error on sda1. I had to hold the power to force power-down. When I powered back up, I didn't see any chkdsk forced but then again, I'm using the proprietary nVidia driver and the boot splash screen was a bit "off".

Next, I attempted the same but this time "hibernated". It appeared the system fully shutdown. So I hit the power button to boot up and I got a message to please wait...it was waking up. And it did, no problems. All seemed fine.

Finally, I was up with a terminal open and just closed the lid. Waited...nothing happened. The screen went dark and nothing else. Of course I just saw that's the assigned action for closing the lid. *doh*

Conclusion, stay away from suspend, go with hibernate and save your data. *smile*

I'll continue testing and continue to report.

--gpenguin

Beans

Last update for tonight. I tested the internal and external mics and speakers. All worked. However the internal mic did have some "noise" due to my needing to turn up the volume on the external mic to record nicely (with audacity). The external mic worked much better.

Also, the built in webcam worked. I installed 'cheese' and 'gqcam'. Cheese found the webcam with no problem and was able to take a picture. gqcam failed with a '/dev/video' not found. I didn't not attempt anything further. My guess is I need a symlink from /dev/video to the actual device.

Anyhow, tomorrow I hope to test the CD/DVD burner. Goodnight!

--GPenguin

Beans

hey there. i think you are the only person on Gods green earth to have the same model as me. i had a bear of a time getting xp to work 100%, but i did.

now i have moved on and trying to install OSX dual boot and nothing seems to work at all. i have never used linux but suprised you got it installed. this laptop seems to not like anything at all. i got mine at costco also.

got any advice for me on this? any good with OSX?

Beans

No, I know nothing about OSX, sorry. However, I'd love to hear where/how you found drivers for XP? I can't even get XP to identify the HD correctly. The default install (not SP2) only sees 130G. My guess is I need SATA drivers on install, but never investigated too hard.

As for XUbuntu, I have found the network seems a little sluggish. Youtube videos keep pausing while network continues to send ad/stat crap. However, if I download the video and then play it...no problems. Still need to test CD/DVD Burning and DVD playing.

--GPenguin

Beans

Tell ya what, pm me your email and I will zip all the xp drivers I got I would only assume it works. It did take me some time to find them but I hate vista with a passion. Although I am thinking of installing it to see if I can't get my osx to dual boot. I have yet to even get all the filed to load from cd to get to the install screen.

Beans

yo bud, i tried installing this tonight and didnt work. i couldnt partition the hard drive. what were the options you chose? do you remember exactly? i have a 30gb partition NTFS and didnt work. tried all the options to partition hfs, fat32, etc. all have an error with the same thing. (no specified boot log) or something like that.

i have never played with Linux so any help would be much appreciated.

and like i said, email me and i will send you a zip of all the xp drivers you need. i got 182mb zipped up for ya already.

Beans

Wow, thanks for the offer for the XP drivers, but since 8.10 is working, I have no desire for putting XP on this box. I'll be installing VMWare and putting XP there. Appreciate the offer though and will keep you in mind if my mind changes.

As for my hard drive, I did a "Guided Use Full Disk" option I think. Yeah, 'cause according to my partition table, it is setup in a way I wouldn't normally do it. It has sda1 as primary for 312G, and an 8G Extended used fully for Swap.

Based upon what you're telling me, you have no Linux partitions for Ubuntu to install on. Plus, after partitioning your drive, you'll need to setup one of the partitions to be bootable (toggle the boot flag).

Hmmm....the easiest thing I can think of is to partition something for NTFS (unless you already have it) and then let the install use the free disk space. WARNING: I have never gone this approach so do not know what it does...i.e. if it "moves/changes/etc" any existing XP partition you have setup.

In most cases, I've seen people install Linux first and then their Windows OS. Windows then overwrites the boot loader which in turn needs to be fixed.

A quick google found this page:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_w...lled_first.htm

which may help guide you on how to get Linux installed *after* windows has been installed.

Sorry for the long windedness, but hopefully it gives some ideas.

--GPenguin

Beans

this is the guide that i used. unfortunately, when i did it like this suggested, the partition manager said "the processed encountered errors and will now be terminated."

here are a few pics i snapped with my iPhone during the loading process that i found weird. sorry for some repeats but i wanted to keep taking them until the screen went away so i wouldn't miss any. i have had so many problems trying to install OSX that this is my new process during the installation process that isnt windows.

let me know what you think. did you get any errors like this after you popped in the cd and booted? i got to the "install unbuntu" screen, then it loaded files from cd and these started popping up before i got to the partitioning, options, time, languare, etc,.

Beans

update!!!

I deleted the partion I made for this install and started up the cd again and I worked like a charm. Just started installing unbuntu 8.10. Hope everything will work out of the box as you say. Wireless, display, etc. If not kind sending me the drivers I ya got em?

I will update asap

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast