Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VLC doesnt play video since Karmic Upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: VLC doesnt play video since Karmic Upgrade

I have used vlc on windows and linux for as long as I can remember. The thing is that no movie player will play any type of video... It has to be a bigger problem in Karmic itself I guess...

I hope that someone figures it out because I have still found nothing in all of my searches lol.
    Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook: 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (1TB ext), 32 bit 1.67GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, Intel Chipset

Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 Dual Boot With Windows Vista SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps this thread will be useful:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8212552

The gist of it is to try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libavcodec52
    Hope that helps.

Beans

Neither Totem or VLC work as well in Karmic as they do in Jaunty!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey jmszr,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly this did not work for me. It seems like this is helping some people though so maybe someone else with this problem will come across this thread and it could help them out.

Thanks again for the input I appreciate it.
    Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook: 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (1TB ext), 32 bit 1.67GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, Intel Chipset

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm not sure what this could mean but the error message I receive when opening a video has changed after inputing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libavcodec52
    Now it reads:
    Code:
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL '/home/eric/Downloads/D6DE1457d01'. Check the log for details.
    Maybe we are making headway after all lol. Anyone know what could be going on now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The packages "ubuntu-restricted-extras" should install all the packages you might miss to read video/music.

Install it ans see if it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hey frodon,

Thanks for the reply. I have had the restricted extras installed since the start. Still hasn't helped. Usually this gives you everything you need but there must be something broken somewhere else in Karmic. Strange eh? I have been searching all over and all of the fixes that have helped everyone else haven't gotten me anywhere.

Beans

vlc plays here but is stuttering since upgrade to karmic.

http://www.videolan.org/
    VLC 1.0.3 Release

2009-10-31
    so it is time for ubuntu to make some updates to vlc in the repo and to fix the problems. it is very clear that the problems are on the ubuntu side and not on the vlc side, as, according to informations from vlc developer directly, in debian sid it runs fine.

i would select vlc over ubuntu if these problems arent fixed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 11010110 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have had the restricted extras installed since the start. Still hasn't helped. Usually this gives you everything you need but there must be something broken somewhere else in Karmic. Strange eh? I have been searching all over and all of the fixes that have helped everyone else haven't gotten me anywhere.
    Ok then as a temporary workaround you could install mplayer, i've seen users not having this issue with mplayer only so hopefully you can have the functionality while waiting for a VLC solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 11010110 View Post
    hey frodon,

Same problem here. Since upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic, flv files wont play in vlc. Avidemux can read them and display them ok which shows the codecs must be installed ok.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast