Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 for Intel Machines

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu 10.04 for Intel Machines

I saw that the new release of Ubuntu has come out and wished to use it. I plan to install x64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8GHz desktop. But when I checked the Bit Torrent download area, I found that the torrent for x64 bit was designed for amd machines. Why does Ubuntu not support Intel machines.?? Or can I install this version on my Ubuntu machine without any problems?? Please reply

ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent is what is shown in Ubuntu Website:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 for Intel Machines

The AMD64 release is for all 64-bit CPUs. I have absolutely no idea why they've decided to name it like that.

BTW: I hope you're talking about 9.10, Karmic Koala? 10.04, Lucid Lynx, won't be out for another six months.

Beans

Maybe the time machine is out of adjustment.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Its x86-64, or AMD-64 is because AMD made the system (and to differentiate it from IA-64 of the old Intel Itanium)

NCLI- its not for all 64 bit CPUs, IA-64, Alpha AXP, SPARC, and probably others I cant recall right now are not x86 or x86-64 compatible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Boss 999 View Post
    I saw that the new release of Ubuntu has come out and wished to use it. I plan to install x64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8GHz desktop. But when I checked the Bit Torrent download area, I found that the torrent for x64 bit was designed for amd machines. Why does Ubuntu not support Intel machines.?? Or can I install this version on my Ubuntu machine without any problems?? Please reply

ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent is what is shown in Ubuntu Website:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt

Yes, you can run it on your intel machine. I am using it. No problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

+1 on the AMD invented the architecture. Intel had IA, which died (dying) a slow and painful death. Now it's slowly becomming x86_64 but most still refer to it as amd64.