Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blank screen on boot after upgrade to Karmic on Aspire 5738z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Blank screen on boot after upgrade to Karmic on Aspire 5738z

I tried installing Karmic onto a fresh partition of my hard drive the day it came out, and have had nothing but a huge head-ache ever since. I've tried everything I and Google can think of, and none of it has worked, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

Here's the problem. First, the Live CD would not start. After selecting "Try Ubuntu without changes to your computer" it proceeded to a black screen instead of the boot screen, and eventually made the startup noise but the screen never worked. After some Googling, I tried starting it with 'i915.modeset=0' and it worked! I installed Ubuntu to the fresh partition with ext4, and restarted with hope that my new system might work.

It didn't, but then I remembered the i915 workaround, and added 'i915.modeset=0' to the list of boot options. Here's the weird part: it seemed to start up, got to the login screen and... was unresponsive. It was like the keyboard and mouse were completely disconnected from the computer. This really confused me because the Live CD didn't have that glitch at all, and this was a fresh installation so it should behave much like it.

Anyway, I tried booting to recovery mode, which the keyboard did work in, and using 'X -probeonly' got some rather cryptic errors, which I would greatly appreciate some help in interpreting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Re: Blank screen on boot after upgrade to Karmic on Aspire 5738z

I don't mean to be impatient, but I know it's really easy for things to get lost once they fall of the front page, so... bump?

Beans
    Distro

You booted into live saw that it didnt work and installed anyway? RISKY BIDNESS
    "Does this wash-cloth smell like chloroform to you?"

Beans
    Distro

Well, it seemed to work perfectly once I added 'i915.modeset=0' to the boot options. And as I said, this was thankfully just a blank partition of my HD, so I've still got Jaunty running on my main partition.

Beans

Smile Re: Blank screen on boot after upgrade to Karmic on Aspire 5738z

"Well, it seemed to work perfectly once I added 'i915.modeset=0' to the boot options."

Could someone please give an explanation / instruction for the above comment to a noob.

I also have the 5738z and 9.04 works great but i also get the blank screen on 9.10.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, well, I meant the Live CD worked perfectly, so don't rush into updating and brake your system before this gets fixed...

You can add boot options in two ways. The first is to do it permanently by editing you /boot/grub/menu.lst file, (which I highly recommend backing up before editing), and the second is to do it through grub at boot-time. When you're at the grub boot menu, you can press 'e' to edit the boot-options of whatever you have selected, and you would scroll down to the 'kernel ' line and add 'i915.modeset=0' to the end of it. On the Live CD, I think this is accomplished by pressing F6 ad appending it to the end of those options.

Beans
    Distro

Bump?

Beans
    Distro

Bump again?

Beans

Hi,
    iam having the same issue. Can you help me on this? Can you plz explain the steps one by one ? I am not aware, how to set i915modeset=0 as iam a new bie. Plz help. It's urgent

Quote Originally Posted by CalderCoalson View Post
    Ah, well, I meant the Live CD worked perfectly, so don't rush into updating and brake your system before this gets fixed...

You can add boot options in two ways. The first is to do it permanently by editing you /boot/grub/menu.lst file, (which I highly recommend backing up before editing), and the second is to do it through grub at boot-time. When you're at the grub boot menu, you can press 'e' to edit the boot-options of whatever you have selected, and you would scroll down to the 'kernel ' line and add 'i915.modeset=0' to the end of it. On the Live CD, I think this is accomplished by pressing F6 ad appending it to the end of those options.

Beans
    Distro

I repeat: THIS ONLY ALLOWS YOU TO BOOT THE LIVE CD, THE INSTALLED OS IS STILL JUNK.

That said, here's how you get the Live CD working:
    1. Boot from the Live CD
    2. Select a language
    3. Press F6
    4. Press ESC
    5. type 'i915.modeset=0'
    6. Press Return

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast