Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close lid behavior on laptop with external monitor.

Beans

Re: Close lid behavior on laptop with external monitor.

I'm having the same problem as you, Schuby007. I'm running 10.10 on a Thinkpad X61 Tablet. Just as you described, I have the lid action set to "nothing" when on AC power, and when the lid is closed and the external monitor functioning as the only monitor it refuses to sleep properly. If I leave the lid open (not changing any monitor settings) it sleeps just fine. Quite frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoklife View Post
    I have a 1420 that I hook up to my tv and use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse with, I have mine set to blank screen and it does just that if i close the lid, but if I press a button on my bluetooth keyboard, the tv screen lights up. Seems like it is working just fine for me.

Also just a word to the wise, laptops tend to run hot with the lid closed which will lessen the life of your laptop.
    I have the same effect - where the external monitor is darkened when I close the lid on my inspiron 1420, but as soon as I hit a key, it turns back on again. Thanks for noticing this. I have had my notebook open collecting dust for about 6 months.

Beans

Thanks to all who have posted. I am a Linux newbie. I have an Acer Aspire One D0255 Netbook

I entered the command [sudo gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing"] (w/o brackets] in a terminal window, but nothing seemed to happen.

Am I supposed to reboot in order to see any changes in the power configuration screen?

But I was able to close the lid without the screen shutting off (provided I kept moving the mouse) or causing the screen to update in some other way, e.g., by typing.

But the remark about extending laptop life be leaving the lid open--- that was something to think about. Now I leave the lid ajar.

=Thanks

Beans

gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing"
    worked for me without sudo just fine, when no power management windows were open.

My question is: how to do that in desktop environments different from GNOME? Will it work in any GTK environment? What about non-GTK?

Beans

I'm having similar problems to other users on here, using Lucid.

I have an Alienware M11x R1, and it is hooked up to an ASUS VH236H (I had the problems when hooked up to another monitor as well). When it boots up, it defaults to mirroring the screen, or not showing in the external monitor at all (there is probably a pattern here, but I have not yet detected it). I dutifully open the lid, turn the laptop screen off, set the monitor back to its native resolution, and close the lid again.

Even when set to "do nothing," closing the laptop lid turns the screen back on and resets it to "mirror." I have to once again reset the resolution, etc. As with others, this means that when I unplug the laptop, if I don't fix the monitors first, the laptop screen remains off. It is not able to automatically detect the absence of a monitor.

What I really need (if there is no easy option in Ubuntu) is some sort of script that tells it the default behavior if the monitor is plugged in (laptop screen off, monitor set to native resolution), and then the default behavior if the monitor is not (laptop screen on at its native resolution). Is anyone aware of any such fix? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm wondering if this problem only occurs with laptops running Nvidia graphics and thus the Nvidia X Server Settings control panel?

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.1 64bit on an Alienware m15x with Nvidia driver version: 195.36.24.

My monitor is connected via HDMI to my laptop.

Beans

I'm actually not running on the nVidia card at all while in Ubuntu, and am running off the integrated graphics. I am also running through the VGA port while in Ubuntu, because the HDMI does not work at all (I have no HDMI output, though I do when I boot into Windows).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mangey View Post
    I'm actually not running on the nVidia card at all while in Ubuntu, and am running off the integrated graphics. I am also running through the VGA port while in Ubuntu, because the HDMI does not work at all (I have no HDMI output, though I do when I boot into Windows).
    I have an Nvidia 8800M GTX card and I also have an integrated Intel graphics card. I think on these types of laptops (discrete AND integrated configurations) the HDMI port is tied to the Nvidia card and will not work when using Intel graphics.

I have another question: is it possible that this issue with the external displays not sleeping perhaps related to compiz desktop effects?

I installed Ubuntu 10.04.1 on an older Dell laptop with an Nvidia card and was hooked up to an external and the external would sleep UNTIL I installed Compiz effects. After installing compiz the external monitor no longer went into DPMS and the screensaver wouldn't show anymore.

Beans

The gconftool worked for me too (U10.04/Gnome2.3). Now I can shut the lid on my Thinkpad T61 and still have the computer running and my external monitors run. Q: Now what if I put my computer in suspend, is there a way to have it come out of suspend with something besides reopening the lid and pressing the On button? I'd just like to hit something on my external keyboard or move my external mouse.

Beans

Thank you all, that worked great

It's an honor to use linux and that community users help each other.

All best
    Sergio

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast