Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 shouldn't have been released yet.

Beans

Re: 9.10 shouldn't have been released yet.

I think most misunderstand.

9.10 has got lots that good about it and does work perfectly but thats not enough.

If windows 7 say came out with such major sound and video issues you would be roasting it on a spit...lol.

Another two weeks to iron it out and this could have been a major wow

Of course with creative cards its hard to get creative drivers to work half the time.

But common stuff like a nvidia 8600gt should have been a walk in the park.

And before anyone elses asks it was a clean install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magnus33 View Post
    I think most misunderstand.

9.10 has got lots that good about it and does work perfectly but thats not enough.
    How can you say it works perfectly, if some things don't work for you?

Beans

#
    Last edited by regomodo; January 23rd, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    Or, it can also mean "Meh, it works for me, so I don't care"
    It can. But at least in these forums, most of the times it does not.

Most of the times is a response to the OP giving an over-general statement.

I have never seen a proper issue report (e.g. acknowledging that not everyone has the same issue) being met with "it works for me, so I don't care".

Beans
    Hidden!

my karmic install went 100% perfect.

I understand the pain though. I suffered with the intel issue in jaunty. I don't mind too much if something doesn't work initially, as long as it can be fixed relatively easy. Take the ubuntu-one issue as an example. all I had to do was sudo apt-get get upgrade and it was fixed. that's okay/acceptable. However, I see an issue/regression that doesn't go away relatively quickly as a problem and something to rant about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It's going to have bugs for some and for some it will work fine. It uses a bunch of new technologies that had to come out on 6 month cycle and were pushed out to test before the next LTS. If you do not like having to work around bugs then sticking with the LTS is for you. If you want to help find bugs and workarounds for bugs then stick with 6 month cycle and help Ubuntu build up.
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Beans

You're welcome to your opinion of course but it's only an opinion.

I had a few small glitches that were easily fixed. I think we'll find tat for the vast majority of users the release is great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    It can. But at least in these forums, most of the times it does not.

Most of the times is a response to the OP giving an over-general statement.

I have never seen a proper issue report (e.g. acknowledging that not everyone has the same issue) being met with "it works for me, so I don't care".
    I agree with your overall feelings, however...

Here's the thing tho. If you are going to 'advertise' a distro that is for the masses, an easy entry to linux solution, you have to expect that you will get people frustrated by things not working and not knowing what is needed from them to fix them.

These people come from windows, and while you may think it is a generally crappy os, basic things rarely don't work in my experience. Especially things that 'used to work'.

If you search the forums, there are about 20 completely different suggestions on how to fix your sound. (At least that's what it sounds like, anyway) As a nube it's difficult to determine how to proceed. So you probably try all of them, and none work, so you feel like your just taking a club to the side of your machine, hoping to get that high pitched whine to stop, without any real hope that it will. And if it does, you won't like the result.

The thing i'm most amazed about is that there was a pretty extended 'beta' period, and yet there's is in my mind massive problems from people, who admittedly, aren't very good at explaining what the problem is.

I suppose the beta pilots are much more intelligent regarding how to work in linux, and so perhaps they just 'fixed' things, rather than report them as bugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have installed 9.10 twice and both have had problems.
    The first was an upgrade from 9.4, the sound hardware disappeared, and in-spite of trying many suggestions I was not able to get it back.** Something just seems to have gone missing in the upgrade. Anyway, I then proceeded to a fresh install and that gave me three problems - a long delay, about 50 seconds before the Grub menu appeared whilst the hard disks were searched. This was a shock and to the casual user a real backward step. Yes I have windows on the first partition, but so do a lot of people. Fedora was missing from the Grub menu, which I have not yet looked into, and then finally after it had loaded there was a blank desktop (the top and bottom panels were there but nothing in between). I changed the colour and the image but still it remains stubbornly blank.
    My verdict, probably most people have had a flawless time, but from the forums it would seem quite a few have had exactly the same issues as me. I have put a lot of hours in to trying to find the answers, but no success. To me it would seem that 9.10 was not quite as ready as previous releases were.
    Sadly most people are going to compare this to Windows 7, I know that is not fair, probably wiser to have released another release candidate and missed the date this time than have so many unhappy people talking in this way.

** By the way the lack of sound after upgrade was because I was still using the 9.01 kernel! I have sound again after upgrade now.
    Last edited by Manksman; October 31st, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Update to correct information

Beans

The only issue I have is that the inbuilt microphone in my Dell XPS M1530 doesn't work in Skype, but yet it works fine in Audacity, it's not too much of an issue since I generally use a headset anyway.
    Other than that it's been rock solid.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast