Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 - the vpn connection 'xxx' failed because there were no valid vpn secrets

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 - the vpn connection 'xxx' failed because there were no valid vpn sec

I tried that method as well, without any success. :/

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 - the vpn connection 'xxx' failed because there were no valid vpn sec

Well I'm able to establish a VPN connection now following the guide above. Thanks! But not all traffic is getting through or I'm not really connected to the local network. When connected to VPN I can see the outside world but not the local machines on the network. Works fine on windows.

Beans

Never mind. It was just not able to resolve names to IP addresses. Adding our dns server to resolve.conf fixed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Note that the method suggested by sweisler does not work if firestarter is running. The best thing is to stop firestarter and then it works. You may even want to uninstall firestarter.

Beans

Great instructions. The PPTP configuration worked as oulined. I have had no luck getting my Cisco VPN connected. I'm still trying and when I figure it out I will post my findings if they end up being any different then sweisler.

Thanks for the great effort out here sweisler.

Beans

Hey Everyone,

As promised I'm back to post an update to my connection issues using VPNC.

Issue:
    Can't connect to cisco VPN using VPNC no matter what settings I use in the Gui. I always get a connection failure immediately upon trying to connect.

Work around solution:
    Started VPNC up in the console: sudo vpnc-connect

Then manually inputted all the settings to the host (just follow the requests via the command line)

VPNC should connect. Then open up your terminal server client (Applications/Internet/Terminal Server Client) and fill in the necessary info and you should connect.

It's not the cleanest or most convenient but does work for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Rene

Beans

Dear Sweisler,

Thanks a million for mentioning the steps. I have been struggling to connect to vpn on ubuntu 9.10 for last couple of weeks without any success and your information saved my life.

Really appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll second that: Thanks sweisler! I got my university VPN working just fine on 9.10 with the help of your clear PPTP instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu 9.10 - the vpn connection 'xxx' failed because there were no valid vpn sec

Hi all,
    Even after following the exact steps described above, I am still not able to connect to PPTP VPN connections.
    Here is the log viewer o/p. I keep getting the same sequence of errors

Code:
    Jan  4 22:53:57  NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin failed: 1
    Jan  4 22:53:57  NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices removed (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/ppp0, iface: ppp0)
    Jan  4 22:53:57  pptp[8262]: nm-pptp-service-8256 warn[decaps_hdlc:pptp_gre.c:204]: short read (-1): Input/output error
    Jan  4 22:53:57  pptp[8262]: nm-pptp-service-8256 warn[decaps_hdlc:pptp_gre.c:216]: pppd may have shutdown, see pppd log
    Jan  4 22:53:57  pptp[8268]: nm-pptp-service-8256 log[callmgr_main:pptp_callmgr.c:234]: Closing connection (unhandled)
    Jan  4 22:53:57  pptp[8268]: nm-pptp-service-8256 log[ctrlp_rep:pptp_ctrl.c:251]: Sent control packet type is 12 'Call-Clear-Request'
    Jan  4 22:53:57  pptp[8268]: nm-pptp-service-8256 log[call_callback:pptp_callmgr.c:79]: Closing connection (call state)
    Jan  4 22:53:57 NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin failed: 1
    Jan  4 22:53:57  NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin failed: 1

Beans

I tried this but when I attempt to connect it does not ask for a password. I restarted the OS but it still does not work.

Is there any log file where I can see what goes wrong?
    How do I make PPTP VPN work on 9.10?

Lars

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast