Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Please read: Audio gotchas in Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Re: Please read: Audio gotchas in Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by Mwbrouwer View Post
    I was having sound trouble after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.04 32bit to Kubuntu 64 bit.

I heard the login sounds, but no media would play through the speakers. I installed the GUI for ALSA Mixer and unmuted the speaker channel. This Worked! KMix showed all channels up, but ALSA Mixer fixed my sounds problem.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Worked like a charm!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: Please read: Audio gotchas in Ubuntu 9.10

I have installed Kubuntu 9.10, and I get sound only in the left speaker. I have tried splitting "front" mixer slider, and all manner of fiddling with the mixer. I have tried both gstreamer and xine backends. Nothing has worked so far.
    Linux 2.6.31-20-generic; 9.10 WARNING: Do NOT take this user seriously!
    MSI GD65; i5 750; 4 GB DDR3; GeForce 9500 GT
    : Volume control buttons crash Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I guess I should have expected this. There's always something.
    I even tried installing that alsa backport kernel, for which I guess I didn't have the headers. I then installed the kernel headers, and now I can't update with synaptic due to "broken packages" whatever those are.
    Also, no sound for me now. sudo modprobe says "no sound for you."
    Linux 2.6.31-20-generic; 9.10 WARNING: Do NOT take this user seriously!
    MSI GD65; i5 750; 4 GB DDR3; GeForce 9500 GT
    : Volume control buttons crash Gnome

Beans

I know this thread is for audio problems in 9.10, but I've got audio issues after an upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 (hardy to lucid). Basically I have no sound at all. No system sounds (e.g. on startup and login), no sound in banshee, no sound in firefox, nothing. If I type 'alsamixer' all the levels look fine. I've tried tips that other people have posted that worked for them, but with no luck. If anyone can offer detailed suggestions they'd be much appreciated. Otherwise I may have to revert to an older Ubuntu LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jabrilm View Post
    I know this thread is for audio problems in 9.10, but I've got audio issues after an upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 (hardy to lucid). Basically I have no sound at all. No system sounds (e.g. on startup and login), no sound in banshee, no sound in firefox, nothing. If I type 'alsamixer' all the levels look fine. I've tried tips that other people have posted that worked for them, but with no luck. If anyone can offer detailed suggestions they'd be much appreciated. Otherwise I may have to revert to an older Ubuntu LTS.
    Another kind soul pointed me towards GNOME ALSA mixer. Note that this is different from ALSA mixer -- the latter showed that settings were apparently OK, it took the GNOME version to find the wayward settings. It showed that my sound was muted and volume level set to "zero". Once I made the necessary changes there, I had my sound back. It works in 9.10 and 10.04. At least for me.

hth

mcm
    Mark C. Miller
    Indianapolis Indiana

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617