Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Computer won't boot to 9.10; No Grub Menu

Beans

Re: Computer won't boot to 9.10; No Grub Menu

When I reboot it keeps saying 'Invalid Arguement' right after the mounting line. Then a few more lines of 'can't find'. Then the Busybox with the initramfs prompt. Sorry I don't remember the exact wording.

Actually, the ONLY thing I can think of is my mobo has a built in Promise Technologies Ultra ATA100 controller host on board. And that is what my Ubuntu drive is plugged into.(And is set to be the boot devise in the Bios) The other drive on the main primary IDE channel are physically unplugged.

Primary master = XP (unplugged)
    primary slave = empty drive for storage (also unplugged)
    secondary master = cd burner
    secondary slave = dvd burner
    Promise controller = Ubuntu drive

This motherboard is an old Asus A7V classic with the built in extra IDE controller host.
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1303

One operating system on one hard drive really shouldn't be THIS difficult to boot.
    Sarcastically speaking...I'm not sure which is worse, XP and ALL of it's inherent problems, or Ubuntu that only boots when a perfect syzygy is happening during a lunar equinox and Mercury transit.

Beans

Well, Gparted on the LiveCD seemed to have fixed it. (for now anyways).
    Not sure what exactly it did, but it was some sort of auto fix I found.
    It did do 3 distinct operations, one of which was resizing the partition.
    I think it was 'Check'.

Now I'm paranoid about which upgrades, if any, i want to do.

Beans

Well, it spontaneously rebooted again, not sure what is causing that, and it went straight to the initramfs prompt. As before, I booted up the liveCD opened up Gparted and used the 'CHECK' option on the file system partition.../dev/sda1. It did it's thing, I closed Gparted, rebooted just fine. So perhaps that is an easy way for others to get back up as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, it spontaneously rebooted again, not sure what is causing that
    Power supply?
    I booted up the liveCD opened up Gparted and used the 'CHECK' option on the file system partition.../dev/sda1. It did it's thing, I closed Gparted, rebooted just fine. So perhaps that is an easy way for others to get back up as well.
    I agree, a file system check is always a good idea, especially after a hard shut-down.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Computer won't boot to 9.10; No Grub Menu

hey I have a question:

I'm attempting to dualboot W7 and Ubuntu 9.10, I did not use the LiveCD, and don't have one. I have successfully created the new partition (hda2), (hda 1 is W7), and LVPM transferred Wubi Virtual to hda2 (created in W7, labeled karmic). restarted successfully into Ubuntu, I still had Wubi, and maybe shouldve stayed here to fix the Boot settings?....but
    I went back in W7, uninstalled Wubi. Tryed to relog into Ubuntu, and my Boot manager lists unknownOS only, so i select that and it takes me directly to W7....so my WBoot Manager, and GNU GRUB menu is not loading... I had some success with earlier steps, but this is the part that has me confused the most, do I "require" the LiveCD?? to fix my GRUB2??

Anyways now I'm stuck in W7..., every indication to me is that I've made lots of progress, but now I take 2 steps back....anyone have advice?

Thanks
    Last edited by fwank10; April 29th, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, but if you're asking me I can't help you, I have never tried wubi and I don't know anything about it.
    I have read that it's a way for Windows users to try out Ubuntu without partitioning their hard disk to see if they like it enough to try installing it to hard disk in its own partition.
    If you have made up your mind that you do like Ubuntu, you would need the live CD for that. There are other ways to install Ubuntu like unetbootin in case your computer doesn't have a working CD or DVD drive. You will probably find it easier to get help when you have a real Ubuntu install since it's more likely people who have the knowledge to be able to help will have experience with real Ubuntu installations.
    Last edited by Herman; April 29th, 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: embarassing typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i'm asking if I require the ISO Live CD, because then I need to make it.
    that means I have to burn an ISO image, which I've never done, nor has anyone that I know of....
    I wasn't asking anyone in particular....but using phrases like "our ubuntu", is very condescending. It makes me angry that's for sure....
    I've been using Ubuntu 9.10 with "wubi" for 3 months, it took 2 months to get online, I do like it, especially since Vista/7 are absolutely ridiculous....but I see, some choose to treat me like a stooge...

if you'd like me to make a new thread, please I need instruction, this site is confusing!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wasn't asking anyone in particular....but using phrases like "our ubuntu", is very condescending. It makes me angry that's for sure....
    Please accept my most humble and profound apologies, I meant 'try out' ubuntu, not 'try our' Ubuntu, I was not aware of my typo until you pointed it out. The 'r' is right beside the 't' on my keyboard and I'm not much of a typist, so once, again, sorry about that. I didn't mean to be condescending at all, the alteration in meaning is entirely accidental.

I have edited my earlier post to correct it.
    Last edited by Herman; April 30th, 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if you'd like me to make a new thread, please I need instruction, this site is confusing!!
    I think your best chance of attracting the attention of someone who might know something about wubi would be far more likely to be able to find you if you do start a new thread of your own.
    It's not that I wouldn't help you if I knew how, but I really do not know anything about wubi installations.

To start a new thread of your own, you just go to the front page of any of the sub-forums here, like 'Installation & Upgrades', and you look for a button called 'Forum Tools', and click on that for a drop-down menu.
    From there you should be able to follow the prompts easily enough.
    Giving your thread a suitable title is important, one that describes your problem in a few words is usually a good idea, like 'moved wubi install to new partition - how do I boot it?', or something like that maybe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i'm asking if I require the ISO Live CD, because then I need to make it.
    that means I have to burn an ISO image, which I've never done, nor has anyone that I know of....
    Well, possibly I can help you there.

You should be able to use whatever CD burning program you have to burn your .iso file to disk as an image, so it will be bootable.
    Don't let your burner program write the file as data, you will have a nice backup of your downloaded .iso file if you do, but it won't boot, (at least not the way it's supposed to), so it will be practically useless.

If the CD writing program gives you a choice of speeds to burn at, it's generally best to choose a slow speed for maximum clarity in the data. The software in the CD is highly compressed an it only takes an error as minor as a missing punctuation mark to foul up software, and the consequences of that would be unpredictable.

If you don't have any CD writing program, a nice free one I tested a long time ago that can be installed in Windows is InfraRecorder from http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/, and it was only a very small download.
    These instructions are old, and may be out of date, but here's what I did,
    1. The package needs to be unzipped before you can do anything with it.
    2 . After that, it's possible to right-click on the InfaRecorder CD icon, and click 'Open'.
    3. A window opens with four panes, I just ignored those and clicked 'Actions'-->'Burn Image', and a new window, titled 'Open' appeared, showing the contents of 'My Documents'.
    4. I navigated to my downloaded .iso file.
    5. Then I clicked 'Open'.
    6. In the next window I selected to burn the disc at a nice slow speed, 1x, and everything else (the defaults), looked okay to me, so I clicked 'OK'.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast