Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Networking in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

Let me add to this mix even more... playing around with Wireshark showed me a lot of MDNS queries. Made me wonder something about the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, so I "man-ed" it. The man page shows a different order from things on the host line in the generic Karmic file.

My original nsswitch.conf has this line:
    Code:
    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
    The nsswitch.conf man page seems to say the "files" entry should happen after dns, like this:
    Code:
    hosts: files dns [!UNAVAIL=return]
    This seems to be a mix of the "original" nsswitch.conf "fix" of deleting the mdns4_minimal and mdns4 information and ordering.

I made this change and am testing response times; things seem to be resolving more quickly and I haven't, yet, had my connection go "dead." Perhaps a few more could try this one out and let me know? I'm also going to post this in the other threads to which I'm subscribed about similar networking issues. All together, we've got to come up with something!
    Last edited by moore.bryan; November 5th, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans
    Distro

My "fix" above did nothing for me, as it turns-out. I am now, though, somewhat convinced it is a WPA issue because after some recent updates my WEP connection is fine, but my WPA-PSK still drops shortly after connection. It eventually becomes responsive again and it just as speedy as ever, but that "dead zone" is unacceptable. How is this something which hasn't received my attention? WEP is a poor choice for security, so (some rhetorical questions) why in the world would anyone ever use it with WPA as a solution and, in theory, if everyone's "supposed" to be using WPA how would this kind of networking problem not be solved in nanoseconds?

Could someone point me to a good step-by-step, in-depth guide for WPA files, programs, and scripts Ubuntu uses; I'd like to start digging into the "meat and potatoes" and get this solved.

This seems to be almost 100% WPA related. Anyone?
    Last edited by moore.bryan; November 14th, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps a new wrinkle: Wifi Protected Setup (WPS) in not supported in any Ubuntu flavor, as per here, but my wpa_supplicant seems to be trying to use it. After a regular drop in network activity I fired-up Wireshark, saw nothing; double-checked iwconfig, saw nothing; randomly checked the /var/log/syslog file and, wait a second...
    Code:
    Nov 14 15:48:13 localhost wpa_supplicant[1080]: WPS-TIMEOUT Requested operation timed out
    Any ideas guys?

Beans
    Distro

This is F-KING ridiculous! My network connection is dropping-out every thirty-seconds tonight. How in the hell is this not more important? I've scoured the 'net and these fora and others have the problem too!

Beans

I just had some problems with my wireless. It had been working with Karmic just fine, then tonight it connected and then disconnected and I couldn't get it to work. I have a Dell xps 1330, running Karmic. Connected with the ethernet cable and began my search through the forums. I know this is not a very geeky solution, but was chatting with my brother and he told me he had the same problem with Vista. Seems there is a switch on the outside of the laptop for wireless. I guess I must of turned off wifi. I switched it back on and now wifi is working. I hope this helps someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cygnis1 View Post
    I just had some problems with my wireless. It had been working with Karmic just fine, then tonight it connected and then disconnected and I couldn't get it to work. I have a Dell xps 1330, running Karmic. Connected with the ethernet cable and began my search through the forums. I know this is not a very geeky solution, but was chatting with my brother and he told me he had the same problem with Vista. Seems there is a switch on the outside of the laptop for wireless. I guess I must of turned off wifi. I switched it back on and now wifi is working. I hope this helps someone.
    I don't think that the case of 'moore.bryan' or 'lokutus25' and (unfortunately) me.

The situation in my case is like this:

- I was using Ubuntu 8.10 x64 some months ago, and everything was just fine with wireless, using madwifi. I was using a ACER 4520 laptop with Atheros adapter. I then give this laptop to my wife and I got another one.

- This other laptop is a ACER 5536 with an atheros adapter too. I did a fresh install of Win7 x64 and everything was just fine (even wireless, works perfect). I then made a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) x64 and I was surprissed because my wireless was detected since the first time I logged on.

- I started to install packages, update ubuntu, download stuff, configuring it but sometimes I noticed that something was wrong with my wireless connection. I then started to give my attention to this issue, and started to search for solutions or workarounds, and surprissingly there was a lot of people like me suffering with this problem (Speed drops, crazy signal strenght, suddenly disconnections, etc, etc.).

*NOTE: I had by this time 2 AP's using WEP.

- As suggested by some other member of this glorious forum, I changed both of my AP's from WEP to WPA (dsl) and WPA2 (cable). I then started to make some tests on both.

- Also, as suggested by some other member, I replace Network Manager with WICD. No difference though, it didn't help in any way. I like WICD's interface. So I keep it.

- Aparently, the WPA(dsl) AP problem dissapear. I can stay connected all day, no speed drops, no crazy signal strenght, no nothing. Not a single issue. BUT (there's always a but), I have to be less than 30 mts away from the AP if I want to keep the peace between my adapter and the AP ... some more meters and I get the same crazy behaviour as before.

- On the other side, the WPA2(cable) AP problem is still there, even if I'm 1 meter away from it.

*CONCLUSION:
    I'll need to change my WPA2(cable) AP to WPA, and see if it stays connected like it has to. When I get some results I'm gonna post them here, maybe I can help some lost souls out there.

*FINAL NOTE: The problem doesn't reside in my wireless adapter because I don't have any kind of problem using windows 7.

Like I always say, I'm not making any comparison between win7 and Ubuntu. I prefer Ubuntu over any version of windows, but the facts are the facts, and the fact my friends is that a lot of people are having problems with their Atheros wireless adapter ... the sad thing is that Ubuntu developers doesn't seem interested in fixing it (sorry if I hurt someones feeling).

Tonight I'll post my results.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xtbt View Post
    I don't think that the case of 'moore.bryan' or 'lokutus25' and (unfortunately) me.
    True... I don't even have access to Windows at all; straight Linux.
    - Aparently, the WPA(dsl) AP problem dissapear. I can stay connected all day, no speed drops, no crazy signal strenght, no nothing. Not a single issue. BUT (there's always a but), I have to be less than 30 mts away from the AP if I want to keep the peace between my adapter and the AP ... some more meters and I get the same crazy behaviour as before.

- On the other side, the WPA2(cable) AP problem is still there, even if I'm 1 meter away from it.
    Hmm... this almost certainly confirms my hypothesis the trouble resides in WPA, particularly wpa_supplicant. It is strange, though, it is affecting WPA2 and not WPA.

Please do report back with any additional info you can gather, xtbt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

Well, I just changed my second AP from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK, I'm using win7 right now as I type, and curiously, just after I changed it to WPA, the speed went notably up (I don't really know why. That's what I like about computers, there's something new to learn everyday).

*UPDATE: I tested my 2Wire (dsl) AP; which has WAP and now works good if I'm near, connecting to it from a distance of almost 30 meters and it worked ok for 1 hour (more than before when it has WEP) and then suddenly got disconnected ... no wireless networks found anymore. Only solution, restart. So, definitely, I have to be near to work with that AP, period.

Right now, like I wrote before, I'm posting this using Win7. I'm gonna restart computer, log into Ubuntu, and test my second AP (which I just changed it from WPA2 to WPA). This is a Cable Modem AP, Netgear CG814GCMR. I'm 10 meters away from it so it has to work just fine.

I'll post my results like in 30 minutes.
    X-TBT a.k.a. The Mentor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

Well, I just changed my second AP from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK, I'm using win7 right now as I type, and curiously, just after I changed it to WPA, the speed went notably up (I don't really know why. That's what I like about computers, there's something new to learn everyday).

*UPDATE: I tested my 2Wire (dsl) AP; which has WAP and now works good if I'm near, connecting to it from a distance of almost 30 meters and it worked ok for 1 hour (more than before when it has WEP) and then suddenly got disconnected ... no wireless networks found anymore. Only solution, restart. So, definitely, I have to be near to work with that AP, period.

Right now, like I wrote before, I'm posting this using Win7. I'm gonna restart computer, log into Ubuntu, and test my second AP (which I just changed it from WPA2 to WPA). This is a Cable Modem AP, Netgear CG814GCMR. I'm 10 meters away from it so it has to work just fine.

I'll post my results like in 30 minutes.
    X-TBT a.k.a. The Mentor.
    The results are not satisfactory. I was using my cable modem AP just fine, nice speed, the signal strength was variable, 10 meters away. The connection was alive for like 40 minutes and then suddenly died.

FINAL CONCLUSION:
    I'm not happy at all with the results. I'll definitely have to take another path. Another thing is that when I run dmesg in terminal, there are a lot of error messages regarding my wireless driver (ath9k in my case). So my bet is that no matter what I do, what I change, what I test, there won't be any 100% solution.

At least in my case. The only thing I can do now is un-installing all ath drivers and installing the madwifi wireless drivers that I used to use back in intrepid days.

I'll not make any further tests regarding wireless AP configuration, but if things get fixed with Madwifi, I'll post my results right here just to let you know.

Until then,
    X-TBT a.k.a. The Mentor.

Beans
    Distro

Could you post the ath9k errors? Although I'm using the ath5k one, perhaps it could lead down an unexpected path...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast