Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I get a command line when I try to boot Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I get a command line when I try to boot Ubuntu 9.10

Try installing Ubuntu "the proper way" by booting from the CD and running the installer on there. The trouble with Wubi installs is that it's possible for Windows to interfere (unintentionally) with the Ubuntu file, causing problems.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Do you mean the full installation or the installation inside windows, both of which are available on the Ubuntu disc?
    John

Beans

I found these directions in the thread referenced above and they worked for me, at least to boot into Ubuntu. Now I just need to figure out a way to make this happen every time without having to type in all that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by djhk View Post
    From the SH> prompt enter

sh:grub>insmod ntfs
    sh:grub>set root=(hd0,1)
    sh:grub>loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    sh:grub>set root=(loop0)
    sh:grub>linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
    sh:grub>initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    sh:grub>boot

You can use the TAB key to enter the remaining string.

This should boot your system.

IIn Ubuntu open the terminal and enter

sudo update-grub2

This should fix your grub files.
    As a side note the sudo update-grub2 did not fix my problem, but I think it may be a special case with me. Good luck.

Beans

I'm having the same problem...
    I've followed all instructions, but when I try to load kernel, looks like that not exists.
    Using grub>ls (loop0), drop the message "Unknown Filesystem".
    I'm using the wubi edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are using WUBI, that is a type of "installation inside windows", which doesn't require you to repartition your hard drive.

If WUBI gives you problems loading your Ubuntu/Linux kernel, I recommend doing an ordinary "dual boot" install from a CD. You'll preserve your Windows OS and your existing files, but you will have to allow Ubuntu to partition your hard drive so that a partition of the drive is reserved for an Ubuntu file system.

If you want the very newest software, use Ubuntu 9.10 . However, the software available for Ubuntu 9.04 is excellent, and if you want a really reliable system then consider using Ubuntu 9.04 instead of 9.10:
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

P.S. - It's likely that most new bugs/problems people have with Ubuntu 9.10 will be resolved by the time 9.10 is three months old.
    Last edited by julianb; November 16th, 2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added P.S. at bottom

Beans

Hi julianb,
    I've tried the dual boot way, but doesn't work too...
    But I'll try the 9.04...

I'll be back with results

Beans

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit. I installed it yesterday via Wubi and it worked like a charm for several hours, after numerous reboots and whatnot. However, the last time I rebooted I got the same GRUB command line others here seem to be getting. It states that there is no kernel loaded.

It seems to be completely random, as I did nothing out of the ordinary before rebooting. I have a feeling it might be the Nvidia graphics driver I installed earlier that caused the problem. Did any of you by chance install drivers for a Nvidia GPU before getting boot errors?

Beans

Hi theDeeje!!
    I've solved the problem, but I forget to reply here.
    To solve it, you need to use a workarond. Install ubuntu 9.06 and then upgrade to 9.10.
    It worked to me.

Beans

Thanks jimmyneph!

I'll give this a try when I get the time. If you run into another problem, would you mind to post about it on this thread? Just in case the workaround is temporary. I'll do the same.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Help.

I got the same message in WUBI, though I don't want to have to re-install, since I'd rather not lose my files that I just put back on today, thanks.

I'll try to do those instructions relating to the sh> command. Get back to you perhaps sometime tomorrow?

Thanks,
    Matt.
    Let me know if I'm being too technical - or not technical enough!
    There is a blank space here.
    Unreal Circumstances

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast