Thread: Netbook Remix: Lock Screen on Suspend?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Netbook Remix: Lock Screen on Suspend?

I got my Starling a week ago, but I was gone when it arrived so I'm just now playing with it. The Starling works great, but Netbook Remix is different than Ubuntu in some ways I didn't anticipate - that will take some getting used to.

I've been using an EEEPC with eeebuntu installed. To save power, I would put it on 'suspend' instead of shutting it on and off all day. When I turned it on it would come out of 'suspend' and prompt me for my password.

I can't figure out how to do that on the Starling. When I put it on 'suspend,' it comes out without asking for a password. I can't find a setting to require a password to come out of 'suspend.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Netbook Remix: Lock Screen on Suspend?

Go to a terminal and run...

gconf-editor

In the resulting window, go to apps > gnome power manager > lock and select the suspend checkbox.

Did that work?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Go to a terminal and run...

gconf-editor

In the resulting window, go to apps > gnome power manager > lock and select the suspend checkbox.

Did that work?
    It was already checked. So it doesn't appear to be working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried it again. It by-passed the login box, went to a black screen, then a minute later, the login box came back up. So it did work this last time. But is it normal for it to take so long on a black screen while coming out of suspend?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, it should take a good several seconds. I'd say 10 or 15?? But I don't have one at home to test with this weekend.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It seems to be working as it should now - maybe it took it a couple of times to save whatever information it needed at first?

Beans

If I choose suspend, the screen locks, but if I use the keyboard shortcut (Fn+F4) then when it comes out of sleep the screen is not locked.

Probably what's happened to you as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: Netbook Remix: Lock Screen on Suspend?

I get this issue as well. Very strange. What is most annoying, is that lock is disabled in gnome-power-manager (via gconf-editor): apps -> gnome-power-manager -> lock: hibernate, suspend and use_screensave_settings are all disabled (no checkmark). I still get the lock screen when using the menu and no lock screen when using the keyboard shortcut.

Anyone find a solution? I searched gconf-editor and nothing else seems to enable and disable the lock screen mechanism...

Using Ubuntu 9.10, GNOME Version: 2.28.1. Upgraded from Jaunty, where this problem did not occur.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!