Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to remove users from login window?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: How to remove users from login window?

Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    arepaking, this is the same solution that was described on above link, I don't like this solution. It removes whole list and enables login with userid window to enter manually.

I would like ot have a user list (like it is now), but without some users listed on it.
    The GNOME Display Manager Reference Manual, which you can get through the Ubuntu Help Center (? icon on the Top Edge Panel), says in chapter 5.5., "Simple Greeter Configuration", that some users can be excluded from the Face Browser (that's the name of the users list) using the following command:

Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --type list --list-type=string --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/exclude '[john;mary]'
    BUT, according to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/480658 the documentation is incorrect as this feature hasn't been implemented yet!

-- rpr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by arepaking View Post
    There is a gconf setting for it:

Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list 'true'

I too wanted to remove usernames from the logon window in Karmic. Certainly don't want them displayed in general. I preferred the way it was in Jaunty. Thanks for the gconf setting. Worked great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Interesting thread. Someone just asked me about achieving this, so am wondering does the following command (which hadn't actually been implemented in Gnome yet, but apparently now is) works, at least with 10.04 (which apparently it should now):

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --type list --list-type=string --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/exclude '[insertusername]'

Thanks
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Beans

@OzzyFrank, that works, with a slightly different syntax.

You have to put this in /etc/gdm/custom.conf (or the old /etc/gdm/gdm.conf if it exists):

Code:
    [greeter]
    # Default value taken from /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas
    Exclude=USER_TO_EXCLUDE,bin,root,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,nobody4,noaccess,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap
    Note that this doesn't prevent users from logging in if they still have shell access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I,ve tried Tobu's method and it works well when excluding one user.

I was wondering, how do I do this for multiple users?
    Not only just one.

The futile attempts I have made do not seem to cut it

Br,

Beans

tristano:

sudo usermod -u 999 [username]

Thank-you for this tip
    It still works in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    I was able to remove my Administrator account from the login screen, all others are Desktop Users ONLY.
    By clicking Other (@ the bottom) then entering info, I am still able to log in as Administrator
    Thank-you again
    Last edited by Thunderbolt1164; September 2nd, 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Address to tristano

Beans

In Ubuntu 10.10 you remove users from the list by adding them to the default element in the greeter/Exclude schema in the file /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas:

Code:
         75     <schema>
         76       <key>greeter/Exclude</key>
         77       <signature>s</signature>
         78       <default>asterisk,bin,root,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,nobody4,noaccess,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap</default>
         79     </schema>
    Works for me to remove the asterisk user from Face List, hope it works for you too.

Gabriel Medina (Rha7).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For 10.10, is there a config file I could put in my home or something so that it won't get overwritten (or I won't even have to be prompted) if I upgrade gdm?

Beans

Thunder, you should be able to use the method described by rha7 to exclude users in 10.04 rather than that UID hack. The tip was for 10.10, but I can confirm that /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas and the corresponding greeter/Exclude key exist in 10.04 as well.

sceo, since GDM is a system wide service, you cannot configure it within your home directory. There isn't any sort of conf.d directory for GDM, either, so I don't think you can do what you want to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually I found it while perusing a Fedora forum. The file is /etc/gdm/custom.conf and it's got an ini-file like syntax.

[greeter]
    Exclude=youruser,nobody

Notice - when I only put "youruser" then "nobody" showed up on the login screen, so I just added nobody second.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast