Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vodafone 3g dongle not working on Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Vodafone 3g dongle not working on Karmic

The problem wasn't configuring, was detecting the dongle as a modem and not only as a cd/sd card reader. Anyway, I managed to "fix" it for now, and just posted on the bug - basically it seems that there is a udev race issue at work, at least with my E1692 dongle and the latest backports kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Assuming you have installed your Vodaphone (Australia) wireless broadband modem via the Network Manager and are able to get it to "connect" but are still unable to actually connect to any Web sites, etc. then chances are you still have one small step to go. Right-click the Network Manager icon, choose Edit Connections, click the Mobile Broadband tab, click your Vodaphone service (e.g. Vodafone Postpaid), click the Edit button on the right, leave Number set to *99#, set the Username to vodafone, set the password to vodafone, leave APN set to vfinternet, and click the Apply button. You will be asked if it's OK to store some keys on a keyring, choose "At any time" (or somesuch), then you're set.

I find the connection speed I can achieve in Ubuntu 9.10 is several times faster than I could achieve in Ubuntu 9.04 which is just great.

The only hassle I have is that Ubuntu boots so fast that the modem does not have time to find the Vodafone connection and then it won't appear in the Network Manager list. You then have to cold boot again and hope for better luck next time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Vodafone 3g dongle not working on Karmic

HOPE THIS HELPS
    The main point is to make sure you get the “modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001
    ” correct for your device.

Greetings. I have been getting the same problem. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 (clean/new build) and using Vodafone K3530 (Huawei) on a Samsung NC10 Laptop.

After lots of clean/new rebuild I have managed to get it working by using the following:

1st - Upgrade BIOS to 11CA (needed to install Windows first) what a pain
    2nd - Clean build (mainly so I know what bit fixed the problem)
    3rd - Ran update manager for all of the patches
    4th - ran the following script.

#!/bin/bash
    sudo umount /media/Vodafone\ MC\ Installer
    sleep 5
    sudo rmmod usb-storage
    sudo modprobe -r option
    sudo modprobe -r usbserial
    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001

I have narrowed it down to the "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001" line. YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE CORRECT "product=0x1001". I was using "0x1003" so it did not work for me until I changed it to "0x1001". I must have found my original work around from a site that was using a different 3G card.

I also added these. Not sure if the are needed
    #tony@icts-u910:~$ history
    sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch
    sudo apt-get install usbmount
    Last edited by tonywoody; November 17th, 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi All,

Since updating to Karmic the gnome network manger failed to recognize my Vodafone Mobile Connect USB Stick K 3765.

The issue was resolved by downloading and installing the vodafone linux driver & software - even allowing the gnome network manager to work & recognize the usb stick.

Download the following files from Betavine.

Ubuntu > ozerocdoff_0.4-2_i386.deb

Ubuntu > usb-modeswitch_0.9.7_i386.deb

Ubuntu > vodafone-mobile-connect_2.10.01-1_all.deb

Ubuntu > INSTALL_UBUNTU.TXT

Install the packages in the following order to resolve the dependencies:

Install the usb_modeswitch package. (This package is required to flip some USB devices from storage device mode to modem mode.)

sudo dpkg -i usb-modeswitch_0.9.7_i386.deb

Install ozerocdoff package. (This package is used for modems which use the HSO kernel driver. It also flips this type of modem from storage device mode to modem mode.)

sudo dpkg -i ozerocdoff_0.4-2_i386.deb

Install Vodafone Mobile Connect and it's dependencies

sudo aptitude install wvdial hal usb-modeswitch ozerocdoff python-twisted python-serial python-sqlite python-tz python-gobject python-dbus python-cairo python-crypto python-gtk2 python-gnome2 python-gnome2-extras lsb-release python-glade2

sudo dpkg -i vodafone-mobile-connect_2.10.01-1_all.deb

Run the application from the command line in terminal:

vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux

You will also find a launcher for Vodafone Mobile Connect in the Applications > Internet menu.

Regards,

JS
    Jesus Christ is the Way the Truth and the Life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Vodafone 3g dongle not working on Karmic

I recently came up with a solution for wireless problems in 9.10
    Follow this quick easy guide by me
    Download ndiswrapper packages for Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala, from this .gz archive i have put together download here
    Boot Ubuntu 9.10 live cd without your wireless adapter attached and install Ubuntu.
    Once installed and your up and running, unpack the .gz file you downloaded earlier and install all the packages, then run Windows Wireless Drivers, pop in the disc that came with your wireless adapter, copy over the driver files, then restart then in Windows Wireless Drivers, click install new driver and select the windows .inf, then open and install.

Now select your access point and enter your key if needed? and you should be connected
    Enjoy!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329515
    Last edited by dvl300; November 18th, 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

Hi dvl300; we applaud your hard work in putting together a package; it will be helpful to someone with wireless (pci card?) issues;

in any other linux forum, someone would comment that you have added your comment to a long stream that is ... actually ... about .... a different topic:

......... namely mobile broadband accessed over a 3G GSM network, using portable USB modems;

so folks would notice your comments if you ...

made a new posting; with a new heading about the topic that you have worked hard on, and would like folks to know about presumably

... and avoided pig-backing on a posting that doesn't seem related to what you would like folks to know about

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks Johan-Steyn, that worked like a charm. Only took a minute.

Have my vodafone dongle now working on my samsung nc10 with 9.10 netbook remix installed, great stuff.
    I'll stop asking questions soon... I just need to sort this.... oh... hang on.

Beans

The new kernel update 2.6.31-15-generic from this week. Solved the problem for me.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Virgin 3g dongle not working on Karmic

I have a Virgin 3G usb dongle, the Huw??? 220 which worked beautifully on 9.04 but on 9.10 it recognises it but fails to get it running. Once the settings are made it just spins constantly at the top like a mad fool & never connects.

Beans

this has been a common problem with 9.10; many would suggest trying a live CD before changing a stable system (ie changing from 9.04 to 9.10)

are you sure you are not using a Huawei E169

type

lsusb in a terminal

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast