Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB Startup Disk Creator doesn't respond in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: USB Startup Disk Creator doesn't respond in Karmic

I have this problem too. Tried installing Gparted but when I run it I get error, unable to copy the user's Xauthorisation file. Other applications work fine with gksu, so stuck on this. Anyone know if there are any other tools that can replace this Start Up Disk Creator application? I am only doing this because Update manager seems not to notice the upgrade available on my Dell netbook, which is another issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dkeats View Post
    Anyone know if there are any other tools that can replace this Start Up Disk Creator application?
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Works for me, though I think I remember seeing some people having trouble. Worth a try.

Beans

tried that. get a generic "boot error" message when trying to run it. bleh. sucks. just want to be able to install without burning a CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

You have to watch that you format the partition not the drive (for example if the USB is sdb, format and install on sdb1). If you mess up, use gparted to remove the partition and if necessary recreate msdos partition table (which does not make any partitions, just the table to keep track of them) and then create FAT16 partition for 2 GB or less or FAT32 for larger USB. I made the mistake of formatting the device instead of partition a number of times.

When you set the slider for persistent data, so not move it to the max. Make sure it is at least one click down from maximum. Maybe it estimates file sizes and does not account for files that do not end on full blocks. Whatever the reason, it seems to hang if you select maximum persistent file size.

Beans

confirming Hank's method works for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm running 10.04 beta. My startup disk creator would say there wan't space on the drive once i hit format. I unmounted the drive, then hit safely remove...seems to be running now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by GTP-Hank View Post
    I've had the same experience, in upgrade to 9.10 from 9.4. Reinstalling usb-creator and dependent packages is no help for me. Hopefully this'll get fixed soon.

I was successful using this work-around method:

Open gparted
    • erase usb disk.
    • create a single fat32 partition
    • note name of partition created

Open USB startup disk creator

• selecting the usb partition just created
    • ignore flag on hard disk
    • do NOT hit the "format" button
    • hit the "create" button

Gparted may be installed using the following command:
    Gparted then shows up under System-->Administration in the menus.
    This fixes my problem. Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shof2k View Post
    Confirmed that GTP-Hanks workaround works. Looks like the program is showing the root device (in my case /dev/sdb), when it wants for a FAT32 partition (/dev/sdb1).

I'll put this on the bug and update my original post.

Thanks Folks

Ok, so, I came across this problem today. The thing is that it is possible to format usb disks without creating a partition map. Ie., it is possible to do mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb -I, where the -I forces it to make the filesystem on the disk.

I only had /dev/sdb appearing because this was how the VFAT existed on my usb stick. I initially tried to press the eject button, and I realised that this does more than a simple umount.

For those of you who want to get this to work, open a terminal and type in

sudo umount /dev/sdb

You should replace sdb with whatever the name is of your media device, which you can lookup if you type

df

Anyway, then opening up usb-creator-gtk, you should be able to format and proceed.

- Lashi

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

None of this has solved the problem for me.

I had a working USB start-up disk for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic), but now that we are at 11.10, it seemed a bit much to be doing that many dist-upgrades to get things current on any new systems I wanted to install.

I downloaded a new 11.10 iso, but I am unable to get "Start-Up Disk Creator" ( usb-creator-gtk ) to accept it. I can can click on the "Other..." button, and navagate, find and even choose the iso, but after the choce, the file / location isn't saved in the program, and the "Make Startup Disk" button remains greyed out even after I've selected a valid partition.

I tried reformatting the usb drive to see if the program was just not echoing the selection, and it was the drive issue everyone else seemed to be having, but to no avail. I reinstalled the usb-creator-gtk package as well as the bootable cd package, but that also didn't help.

Update:
    I ran again from the terminal and got the error:
    isoinfo: Short read on old image

I looked it up and it means the iso was bad. Re-downloading the iso solved the problem.
    Last edited by virtualXTC; January 17th, 2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Fix / update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12