Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh Install of Ubuntu 9.10 over Ubuntu 9.04 maintaining dual boot with Windows XP

Beans

Re: Fresh Install of Ubuntu 9.10 over Ubuntu 9.04 maintaining dual boot with Windows

I too need help with this, i've always found the partion bit confusing and could do with a visual guide of the menu's as i've read the forum thread on it and not sure if i will do it right.

Im getting the ubuntu remix for my netbook which already has 9.04 and xp on it, it doesn't have a seperate home partition and im not sure i want one as it must leave loads of config files behind from each install, i have a seperate ntfs partition from windows i can store personal files on.

Is there a video or a good guide with images?

Beans

Talking Re: Fresh Install of Ubuntu 9.10 over Ubuntu 9.04 maintaining dual boot with Windows

Guys, I went ahead booted with the installation CD. When I got to the partitioner, I selected manual partition (advanced) and then I could see Windows on /dev/sda1 and Ubuntu 9.04 on /dev/sda5 and swap on /dev/sda6. I then selected the /dev/sda5 partition, the one with Ubuntu 9.04 in the Ext3 format and changed the type to Ext4, it automatically selected the format partition option and in the Root space I entered '/'. Went ahead with the install as I would have done a clean install and am now in Ubuntu 9.10 and it's working fine! Oh yeah and Windows is there in my Grub options as well. My only concern was I saw the version of Grub installed is a beta. Is that really safe on part of Canonical to release Ubuntu 9.10 with a beta version of something as critical as Grub?

I don't know, just seemed a bit sketchy to me.

I hope this thread helps you guys out. Any questions, feel free to ping me.

Cheers

CC

Beans

Re: Fresh Install of Ubuntu 9.10 over Ubuntu 9.04 maintaining dual boot with Windows

Ah thats good, it does actually sound simple enough after looking at the advice given from Partyboi2 in the other thread, i take it you don't have to worry about anything else except changing that bit then?

I think i will stick to ext3 though as i've seen concerns about ext4 being unstable and possibly causing corruption to large files, is there much of a performance boost over ext3 and is it worth using considering the potential problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i just finished upgrading my laptop that runs vista 64 and dual boot to ubuntu 9.10 beta

now running 9.10 final

download the ubuntu 9.10 iso and burn to cd/dvd

startup pc and tell it you want to run 9.10 with no changes to pc

when it starts up click on system , administration, gparted

on my pc there was 2 linux partitions in particular i had to delete

sda5 and sda6

the sda5 was the main partiton for 9.10 and sda6 was about 900 meg and was the swap

once these 2 are deleted you will see a grey section of hdd where these 2 partitions were

now run the install icon on the desktop

when it shows you the hard drive partitons tell ubuntu to install to the largest free space on the hdd and let it go

it will install and boot up and you can pick ubuntu or windows

piece of cake

hope this helps
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs down Re: Fresh Install of Ubuntu 9.10 over Ubuntu 9.04 maintaining dual boot with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ceruleanchalice View Post
    Addendum:

I read this from the following link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...FromOldVersion

However I am not 100% certain whether this will retain the dual boot into Windows option or not. Anyone know about this?
    Clean Install Upgrade (not recommended)

If your /home directory is contained on a separate hard-disk partition you should be able to upgrade by performing a clean install of the current release of Ubuntu and 'adopting' the old /home directory.
    Back-up any important data before following this procedure as data loss is possible, and very well may be likely.

1. Obtain an installation CD for the release of Ubuntu you wish to install, and boot from it.
    2. Start the installation process. When you reach the Prepare disk space stage of installation, choose the Manual option and press Forward.
    3. Identify your current '/' (root) partition. Select '/' as the mount point and ensure that Format is ticked. You will lose all data on this partition and the new version of Ubuntu will be installed there instead.
    4. Identify your swap partition and set its mount point as 'swap'.
    5. Identify your /home partition. Set its mount point as '/home' and make sure that Format is not ticked.
    6. Continue installation as normal until you reach the Who are you? stage, enter a username and password which exactly match your current username and password.
    7. Complete the installation as normal.

Once the installation has completed, you should be able to log in to Ubuntu and your /home partition with all of your documents and settings should be intact.

I would suggest you take this opportunity to create separate partitions for your '/' (or Linux OS partition) and your 'HOME' partition.

As you can see from the picture I have a preexisting WinXP partition (/DEV/SDA1) and it is formatted to NTFS.

I also have a 2Gig LINUX-SWAP, shown in red, and two others; /dev/SDA2 which is mountpoint '/' and /dev/SDA4 which mounts to '/HOME' .

During my own update from 9.04 to 9.10rc I tried the 'upgrade in place' options I found by applying APT-GET and both liveCD/AlternateCD versions but all I accomplished was a "partial upgrade" that crashed my install.

Thankfully I had /HOME on a seperate partition so I finally bit the bullet, wiped /dev/SDA2 and (re)installed 9.10 from scratch.

During this install it defaults to using the whole drive (which would have wiped XP out all together) so I selected Manual Partition.

I selected where the Mount Points would be and applied changes and let the install fly and here I am, some days later, all patched and running smoothly, Data and saved files all snug and warm and non-deleted.

btw, during the endgame the install will run GRUB in discovery mode and it'll catch the Windows install and make all new entries for it as well as the Ubuntu OS on the startup menu

hth,
    berk

Beans

Evidently the problem has been solved with great advice from seasoned veterans. I'm marking this thread as solved and hope others who are faced with the same problem can find it easily and follow through with the advice given. For the record, I checked my Windows XP installation, booted perfectly (albeit so much slower than Ubuntu 9.10 and my prime reason for switching) and am right now in Ubuntu 9.10 and loving it. I even got my dual monitors to work on a crappy ATI card. However in doing so, lost all the nifty effects that come with Ubuntu. I read somewhere that I should install the ATI Xorg Drivers and found them in the Software Centre, but have also read how they could really screw things up. My primary worry is I got the dual monitor thing working now, if I install those drivers, I might lose it and I am not sure if I can reverse that installation perfectly to get things back into working order lol!

Cheers guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post

I would suggest you take this opportunity to create separate partitions for your '/' (or Linux OS partition) and your 'HOME' partition.

As you can see from the picture I have a preexisting WinXP partition (/DEV/SDA1) and it is formatted to NTFS.

I also have a 2Gig LINUX-SWAP, shown in red, and two others; /dev/SDA2 which is mountpoint '/' and /dev/SDA4 which mounts to '/HOME' .

During my own update from 9.04 to 9.10rc I tried the 'upgrade in place' options I found by applying APT-GET and both liveCD/AlternateCD versions but all I accomplished was a "partial upgrade" that crashed my install.

Thankfully I had /HOME on a seperate partition so I finally bit the bullet, wiped /dev/SDA2 and (re)installed 9.10 from scratch.

During this install it defaults to using the whole drive (which would have wiped XP out all together) so I selected Manual Partition.

I selected where the Mount Points would be and applied changes and let the install fly and here I am, some days later, all patched and running smoothly, Data and saved files all snug and warm and non-deleted.

btw, during the endgame the install will run GRUB in discovery mode and it'll catch the Windows install and make all new entries for it as well as the Ubuntu OS on the startup menu

hth,
    berk
    I know this thread is solved, but your advice seems brilliant to me to keep / and /home separate. My question is, I noticed you have a good deal of unused space on your / partition. Is it necessary to give / 12 gigs or looking back would you have used less? If my thinking is correct the only space it needs is what is required to put down the OS, but I feel like I may be missing something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12