Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: anybody happy with karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: anybody happy with karmic?

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    So far I have a few issues with Karmic but overall it's been a pleasant experience. Issues:

-Don't like that Services is gone. That was where I'd shave my memory footprint by disabling services I don't use.

-They changed Sound Preferences and I can't figure out how to get to all the settings I used to be able to control (like bass and treble) on my Soundblaster Live!.

-They disabled mousewheel control for rotating the desktop cube in Compiz. It took me a while but I figured out how to turn it back on.

-there seems to be a bug in grub2 where if you install onto a drive that grub2 sees as not the first drive (ie, sdb vs. sda), grub will install on the wrong drive and you get a grub error 15. I had to manually fix this and now have some weird error each bootup telling me there's a problem with my swap partition. It doesn't seem to affect the system but I see it each time I boot up. I haven't found a fix for it yet.

-I did not like that there was a constant mail/envelope icon in the Indicator Applet. First I had to disable Evolution and that still did not get rid of it so I finally had to uninstall Empathy as there seemed to be no setting in Empathy that turned the envelope icon off. I don't use Empathy so it was no loss, but annoying that I had to uninstall the app to get rid of the envelope icon.

I'm guessing these will all be fixed so I'm sticking with it. I do like what they've done with the theme, especially the new icon theme and all the new desktop backgrounds.

I don't really care one way or the other about the new Software Center. I always use Synaptic as it has so much more information. I hope they don't get rid of it altogether. It seems like they are dumbing down the interface by taking away configuration options. I'm fine with making it newbie friendly, but leave the other stuff for those who want to roll their sleeves up a little more.

same here also you cant change your login screen
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit Gnome 3.10 ~ AMD FX-6200 3.8GHZ ~ 32GB DDR3 1866 ~ AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB ~ 1 120gb SSD (Linux) & 1 4tb HD (Media)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Karmic is not working in my compaq machine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by note32 View Post
    it seems like everyone only has problems when they upgrade, but everyone else who did a fresh install likes it
    'Fraid not. I always do fresh installs.

Every 9 months (since Dapper Drake) I put the new Ubuntu on all my machines.
    OK, there are always a *few* problems to be fixed, but generally everything works out-of-the-box.

But last night I made the decision to re-install Jaunty on all but two of my machines (I'll keep them for experimentation to see if I can get things working). The number of things that just *don't* work (for me, anyway!) is unlike anything I've seen on any previous Ubuntu. And that's across a range of 4 PCs, 1 Laptop,and 2 netbooks. Long bootup times, wireless problems, graphics problems - all on machines, old and new, that have NEVER had problems with ubuntu...

I'm not writing this to 'knock' Karmic. I can see that it's great for a lot of people. But no, I'm FAR from happy with it.

Also, it's a minor and personal point, but I think the login screen for Karmic looks muddy and amateurish compared to the crisp, professional-looking Jaunty login screen. It makes me cringe every time I see it. And Karmic doesn't even give the option to change it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I didn't read the thread, sorry, just wanted to post my experiences first (kind of frustrated)..

So, I first installed a vanilla Karmic beta the afternoon it was released (a few weeks back?), I was a bit nervous, beta etc.

Anyway, worked perfect, best version of Ubuntu for me (everything works!), I went away for the weekend, get back and decide Karmic's been out for a few days, why not run the update.. Bad choice

So, the installation dies during the unpackaging process, which is pretty bad I guess judging from the responses, the first time I believe the nvidia drivers died during upgrade, the whole screen just started flashing sporadically before X died. Then the whole system died, when I tried to log back in the keyboard response was terrible, I could barely type in the user name, let alone guess if I had typed in the password (and the screen continued to flash? Not nvidia related ).

I re-installed Karmic beta thinking I may have done something different since last installation, after installation ran the upgrade, but again it died during the update process, and just silently died (it just killed X while during the upgrade process), returning to the previous behaviour (though the screen wasn't flashing). The first time I did this, I just ran an upgrade ignoring the available partial upgrade, I re-installed and ran the upgrade again using a partial upgrade, but same results

So, after 2 re-installs, I just re-installed the beta, and set up everything exactly as I had before, I have 544 updates waiting. Don't think I will try that again for a while

I am really surprised at how nice the beta is, it hasn't crashed or anything in the few weeks I've been using it, and after today I am a whole lot more comfortable deleting and re-installing Ubuntu (I was worried about partitions, but gparted makes them easy), I'll wait a few weeks and try the upgrade again, if I have to re-install that's fine, right now I'm a bit busy with school though, so I didn't appreciate losing the day. Oh well. I just wanted to rant.

Beans

None of the versions above 8.4 works on my ASUS a6000. The display is illegible 9 times out of 10 when you boot (graphics card SIS M661). On the same machine, 8.4 installs and works perfectly. On another forum I see that I'm not alone, and that other makes of PC are similarly affected. Can't understand what they screwed up between 8.4 and 8.10............Kaspin

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well... I re-installed Jaunty and reconfigured my preferences. Everything is (again) working great. I guess I'll wait for 10.04 and give it another try. In the meantime I'll stick with what "just works"...

Beans

I got a new laptop and used WUBI to dual boot with Windows 7. I have previously set up a desktop with Ibex and 2 laptops with Jaunty. I had to do the Vista compatibility mode thing to get WUBI to work, and had no trouble with that. After about 4 days of struggling with Jaunty and not getting wireless on the new laptop, I upgraded to Karmic. My Atheros card was supported immediately with no modifications. The only thing I had to tweak was getting the non-free Flash player through Synaptic. One complaint that seems pretty common is getting a shutdown bug. It goes to a text screen, says it has shut down swap files, and ends up with a buffer error and something about an I/O loop. I have been doing a hard shutdown after walking away and finding the same screen 10 minutes later. So far, nothing is getting corrupted, but I do wish this would get fixed.

Beans

Thanks to an entry in the French Ubuntu forum, I was able to solve the display problem on the Asus a6000 (sis M661 graphics) mentioned above. So, until further notice, I'm happy with 9.10.....Kaspin
    Kaspin knows no fear, he knows no danger, he knows nothing....
    Ubuntu 11.04 on Samsung N150, Ubuntu 10.10 on Asus a6000. Windoze needed to update TomTom.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, following upgrade, problems with network manager failing to detect my router (which Jaunty & Intrepid had no problem with).

Even now it tells me I'm disconnected when I'm connected and seems to sometimes think I'm on a wireless connection (I use the wired ethernet connection on the router).Loss of new mail notification in Evolution due to a missing package and some code not being updated to reflect the mail notification script has to look for Evolution 2.28.

And I'm only a superficial user with no developer/tester/person who wants to fiddle with the system aspirations.

I kept thinking of the Ubuntu strap line - it "just works", unfortunately, in this case, it just didn't work.

I was surprised at how long it takes to boot up too - a lot longer than Jaunty and Intrepid, but I understood that one of the claims of Karmic was a much faster boot time, whats that all about?

Beans

#
    Last edited by regomodo; January 23rd, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spell
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast