Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

Beans

Re: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

The only time the touch pad did work was when I used only the acpi=off and then I didn't get wireless

I am currently running the linux off of a sd card. From my research under windows trying to determine how the touch pad is connected, it is using a ps2 internal link. and as you stated, lshw doesn't show any ps2 ports in the laptop when using the pci=noacpi
    Last edited by kingofnerds; December 14th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerds View Post
    The only time the touch pad did work was when I used only the acpi=off and then I didn't get wireless

I am currently running the linux off of a sd card. From my research under windows trying to determine how the touch pad is connected, it is using a ps2 internal link. and as you stated, lshw doesn't show any ps2 ports in the laptop when using the pci=noacpi
    Same here. My mouse works but not my touchpad with the alternate boot parameters. With acpi=off they both work.

Colin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

[QUOTE=kamiisama;8193470]hello, i'm new to the ubuntuforums' community but not to linux/ubuntu. today i bought a brand new laptop:

toshiba satellite l505d-s5983
    basic specs - amd II (m300) 2.0ghz dual core cpu, 3 gigs ddr2 ram , 320 gb hd

nothing special. ah and it came with windows 7! yaay....not so much, SO of course the FIRST thing i wanted to do when i got my brand new shiny laptop home was get rid of that pesky POS windows and put a REAL OS onto it! and what a coincidence ubuntu 9.10 just came out!! i figured it was meant to be~! but not so much.

If you got rid of that pesky POS windows ( which I assume was working perfectly ) have you found a REAL OS yet ? I have the same problem with 9.10 on a Toshiba P500 PSPG8A-01U004. Will 10.04 be any better ?

Beans

I am still waiting for a patch or something that will allow me to not have to turn off my acip because like stated earlier in this thread, when I set acip=off, I only get the use of one core, and my cooling fan doesn't ever slow down. Also, in no mode have i been able to get my battery meter working.

Has anyone else been able to get their battery meter working on this laptop?

Beans

Just a quick update:

A few minor quirks were fixed by changing the acpi osi/osname to "Windows 2001".

Also, boot-up and shutdown were smoothed out considerably by adding:

pci=assign-busses (it seems to circumvent a few pauses in the boot process, probably because of hardware errors and timeouts)

, and last but not least, they made it 3gb of ram by mismatching a 1gb and 2gb stick of ram, since my gf has the same laptop, I traded my 1gb stick for her 2gb stick, and now both laptops have snappier performance(she doesn't begin to use 2gb of ram, much less 3gb).

There were some toshiba laptop specific acpi fixes in the latest kernel, although I haven't tried it out yet.

Finally, I've gotten 32bit and 64bit Ubuntu and 32bit Kubuntu all running well enough, but 32bit Ubuntu wins for best/most reliable performance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Lurker View Post
    Just a quick update:

A few minor quirks were fixed by changing the acpi osi/osname to "Windows 2001".

Also, boot-up and shutdown were smoothed out considerably by adding:

pci=assign-busses (it seems to circumvent a few pauses in the boot process, probably because of hardware errors and timeouts)

, and last but not least, they made it 3gb of ram by mismatching a 1gb and 2gb stick of ram, since my gf has the same laptop, I traded my 1gb stick for her 2gb stick, and now both laptops have snappier performance(she doesn't begin to use 2gb of ram, much less 3gb).

There were some toshiba laptop specific acpi fixes in the latest kernel, although I haven't tried it out yet.

Finally, I've gotten 32bit and 64bit Ubuntu and 32bit Kubuntu all running well enough, but 32bit Ubuntu wins for best/most reliable performance.
    Hi,
    Thank you very much.
    I managed to install Ubuntu 9.10 (amd64) with acpi=off option on my Toshiba L505D-S5983. Initially, it was hot, noisy and only a single core was active.
    Now I have two cores running after following your instructions. The laptop is cooler than before and the processor becomes idle at around 800 MHz, but still a bit noisy.
    I am using ATI catalyst driver for the IGP.
    The thing bother me most is the zombie size log files ( /var/log/kern.log.1 and /var/log/messages.1). Both files occupy about 3 GB hard disk space.
    The reason is that the system is perpetually generating in the kern.log file the following 3 lines:
    ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, while evaluating GPE method [_L07] 20090521 evgpe-568
    ACPI Error (psargs-0359): [RSF] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
    ACPI Error (psparse-0537): Method parse/execution failed [\_GPE._L07] (Node ffff8800ac62d780), AE_NOT_FOUND
    Is there a workaround for this problem?

Beans

Hello n00b

I know that ACPI errors are still happening, our best chance is for Toshiba/Insyde to release a BIOS fix. ACPI errors are somewhat common, the only thing wrong with my laptop is that the touchpad doesn't work(which doesn't bother me, but does bother others).

You could manually dump your dsdt ACPI tables, then disassemble with iasl, and then fix yourself, but that is extremely difficult. I made some attempt at it, I am a developer, but that's not really what I develop, I develop .NET applications for Active Directory *insert boos and hisses*

Also, after trying the Catalyst driver in the repository, I would recommend the latest 9.12 driver from here instead:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

it fixed a number of graphics/compositing quirks, and (as far as I can tell) reduced system temperatures, which in turn decreased fan noise. My laptop is more-or-less whisper quiet...

Beans

Here is a courtesy cross-post from the other big thread on the internet:

Oh, here's my explanation of those:

pci=noacpi means: do not use acpi for assigning pci IRQs

pci=assign-busses: kernel will override any IRQ assignments done by the firmware

Currently, I can't get my touchpad or the software battery meters to work, but other than that, everything is fine.

Performance was somewhat increased by installing cpufreq-utils from the repository, and then converting these 2 rpm packages to deb packages using sudo alien -k [filename]

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyna...42f&ItemID=188

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyna...42f&ItemID=101

It seems to do a better job now of ramping up to 2ghz when you're actually doing something, 2d webpage scrolling and 3d compiz effects are both smoother. I can currently run a full-on compiz desktop without any issues, at acceptable FPS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_75 View Post
    I spent most of today trying to install Fedora 10 or 11 on a Toshiba L505D-S5983 for someone else. When I could not make those work the guy let me try ubuntu 9.10. I did get it to work by adding "acpi=off" to the boot command. Everything then worked fine until you try to shutdown. Then it goes to a graphic pattern indication a graphic mode the cord does not understand and appears hung.

But the install worked and the installed ubuntu works as long as you get the "acpi=off" clause into the boot line. I was not sure the wireless was working either but that was not a priority today.

On the other hand, a clean install of 9.10 puts in grub2 which does not use /boot/grub/menu.lst and I have not yet learned how to edit the equivalent for grub2 to make a permanent fix.
    GRUB2 uses the files in the /etc/grub.d directory to build the grub.cfg file. To append boot parameters for Ubuntu 9.10 edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux and find where the variable GRUB_CMDLINE_EXTRA is set and add the parameter you need (pci=noacpi or pci=assign-busses perhaps?) to it. Then run (as privileged user) grub-mkconfig to re-build your grub.cfg.
    Last edited by adam814; December 24th, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adam814 View Post
    GRUB2 uses the files in the /etc/grub.d directory to build the grub.cfg file. To append boot parameters for Ubuntu 9.10 edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux and find where the variable GRUB_CMDLINE_EXTRA is set and add acpi=off to it. Then run (as privileged user) grub-mkconfig to re-build your grub.cfg.
    I'm guessing that you didn't read the rest of the thread before responding to that post. I would definitely avoid acpi=off and use my instructions instead, acpi=off will cause the processor to be stuck at 2ghz, and only be able to use one core. This will shorten battery life to about 1 hour, and keep your CPU constantly at ~60c. After about 6 to 12 months of that, the CPU would probably crap out. Desktops could handle being stuck at full speed, but laptops just can't dissipate that much heat on a constant basis.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast