Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libcups2

Beans

Re: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libc

Quote Originally Posted by this_costs_more_cell_bill View Post
    I guess you resolved it somehow (in 5 months) but for the sake of this thread really being [SOLVED]:
    1) you should assure the whole DEBIAN folder you copied has Read right available for everybody:
    chmod -R 444 /home/deadlytackler/Downloads/common/DEBIAN
    2) you should better do these installation operations using root rights (sudo in Ubuntu):
    sudo dpkg -b common cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb

Anyway, thanks to
    Edgar Ilaga, I was able to right a general tutorial for all CANON printers, here, where I added dome steps Edgar didn't talk about:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=canon

Is this still valid for Ubuntu 11.04 amd64?

If I enter
    sudo cp DEBIAN/ common/
    I get
    cp: omitting directory `DEBIAN/'

Beans

Re: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libc

Hi Edgar
    Trying to instal the PIXMA 4600 with Ubuntu 10.10
    Followed your initial instructions, changing all to ip4600 series and the libcupsys2 references to libcps2.
    Created OK both common and ip4600 .deb files and both installed OK.
    Then picked the (new) ip4600 from the list of drivers.

Doesn't work.
    I have discovered two error messages:

At Printing/server/settings/Problems? [Printing Troubleshooter] it says: Filter"/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij" for printer "ip4600" not ownded by root.

When I submit a Test page the printing stops immediately warning: Stopping job because the scheduler could not execute a filter.

I would v much appreciate your comments
    Franz

Beans

Red face Re: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libc

[QUOTE=Edgar Ilaga;8191956]In the Ubuntu 9.04 release, cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb file depended on libcupsys2. Now, I've just learned that 9.10 scrapped libcupsys2 in favor of libcups2, which is causing broken dependency issues in Ubuntu due to missing symbolic links, as I've been told. Any idea as to how I can resolve this? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Update: Just finished resolving the issues stated here. Here's what I did:
    1. Download Debian drivers over at http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010647.asp
    2. Extract the file (iP1900_debian_printer.tar) to desktop; there should be 3 files produced from there. cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb; cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb; and common_3.00-1.tar.gz
    3. We'll first repackage the common .deb. Open up a terminal window and navigate to your desktop. There, type the following commands:
    4. You should now see two new folders - common and DEBIAN. What we need to do is to change the file control in DEBIAN to reflect libcups2. So go ahead and type:
    5. In the file that opens, look for the line
    and change libcupsys2 to libcups2. Save the file.
    6. Now, copy the entire DEBIAN folder into common. We now need to repackage these into a .deb. So, open up a new terminal, navigate to where common is, and go ahead and type in the terminal:
    and double-click on the resulting .deb file to install the file.
    7. Do steps 1-6 for cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb, with the exception that you should type in cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb and substitute ip1900 for common wherever it appears above.

Hope this helps you all out
    this is amazing but if it fails to print & say "cups insecure filter"
    type it in terminal
    $ sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Ilaga View Post
    In the Ubuntu 9.04 release, cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb file depended on libcupsys2. Now, I've just learned that 9.10 scrapped libcupsys2 in favor of libcups2, which is causing broken dependency issues in Ubuntu due to missing symbolic links, as I've been told. Any idea as to how I can resolve this? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Update: Just finished resolving the issues stated here. Here's what I did:
    1. Download Debian drivers over at http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010647.asp
    2. Extract the file (iP1900_debian_printer.tar) to desktop; there should be 3 files produced from there. cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb; cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb; and common_3.00-1.tar.gz
    3. We'll first repackage the common .deb. Open up a terminal window and navigate to your desktop. There, type the following commands:
    4. You should now see two new folders - common and DEBIAN. What we need to do is to change the file control in DEBIAN to reflect libcups2. So go ahead and type:
    5. In the file that opens, look for the line
    and change libcupsys2 to libcups2. Save the file.
    6. Now, copy the entire DEBIAN folder into common. We now need to repackage these into a .deb. So, open up a new terminal, navigate to where common is, and go ahead and type in the terminal:
    and double-click on the resulting .deb file to install the file.
    7. Do steps 1-6 for cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb, with the exception that you should type in cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb and substitute ip1900 for common wherever it appears above.

Hope this helps you all out!
    I have been trying to solve this problem for the Canon iP4600 as the download file seems to be the same. I have had a modicum of success but every time it fails at the re-packaging stage. I have added a screen shot showing all stages of this in the hope you can help this poor soul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thanks Edgar, great post! I now run my ip3600 smoothly on 64bit Ubuntu 11.04. Just to note that only changing the libcupsys2 to libcups2 dependancy ref did not help. After trying to install the deb file, there were still dependencies issues and I had to completely remove all of them in the control file. Cheers.

Beans

Smile free lunch, finally.

Thanks Edgar for making my printer works in Ubuntu.

For those who is not familiar with the command line or who wants to save all the troubles modifying the deb files, here you can download the modified version directly.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...489&parid=root

It should fix your problem, I tested it on Ubuntu 11.10.

Don't forget to run the following command in terminal after installing both deb packages.

Code:
    sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This way is so easy

No more fooling around with making any files.

This site shows you how to do the ppa route and install what you need no matter x86 or x64.

http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/06/do...er-driver.html

Beans

after 4 hours of finishing this.... and successfully worked... I cried!!!!!!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by edmund085 View Post
    after 4 hours of finishing this.... and successfully worked... I cried!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations.

As I can relate to your experience I will make sure not to buy things that don't work well either out-of-the-box or with little effort.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crazy ivan View Post
    Code:
    sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    You can reduce that to:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R root:root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    sudo chown -R root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678