Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libcups2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

(Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libcups2

In the Ubuntu 9.04 release, cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb file depended on libcupsys2. Now, I've just learned that 9.10 scrapped libcupsys2 in favor of libcups2, which is causing broken dependency issues in Ubuntu due to missing symbolic links, as I've been told. Any idea as to how I can resolve this? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Update: Just finished resolving the issues stated here. Here's what I did:
    1. Download Debian drivers over at http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010647.asp
    2. Extract the file (iP1900_debian_printer.tar) to desktop; there should be 3 files produced from there. cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb; cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb; and common_3.00-1.tar.gz
    3. We'll first repackage the common .deb. Open up a terminal window and navigate to your desktop. There, type the following commands:
    $ dpkg-deb -x cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb common
    $ dpkg-deb --control cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
    4. You should now see two new folders - common and DEBIAN. What we need to do is to change the file control in DEBIAN to reflect libcups2. So go ahead and type:
    $ cd DEBIAN
    $ gedit control
    5. In the file that opens, look for the line
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1), libpopt0 (>= 1.7)
    and change libcupsys2 to libcups2. Save the file.
    6. Now, copy the entire DEBIAN folder into common. We now need to repackage these into a .deb. So, open up a new terminal, navigate to where common is, and go ahead and type in the terminal:
    $ dpkg -b common cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
    and double-click on the resulting .deb file to install the file.
    7. Do steps 1-6 for cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb, with the exception that you should type in cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb and substitute ip1900 for common wherever it appears above.

Hope this helps you all out!
    Last edited by Edgar Ilaga; October 30th, 2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Issue resolved!

Beans

Re: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libc

Fantastic! Thanks any chance you could share the finished .debs with us? (Or would that be illegal, I'm not really sure)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: (Ubuntu 9.10) Issues installing Canon ip1900 due to libcupsys2 superseded by libc

Nice guide, but did you try just installing the dummy package from Jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Will the method stated by Edgar Ilaga work for cnijfilter-common_2.90-1_i386.deb and cnijfilter-ip2600series_2.90-1_i386.deb also??? Is there an easier solution? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by headmower; October 31st, 2009 at 06:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great Help!

However could you clarify stage 6 pls

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you very much for the guide. My PIXMA MP630 works with Ubuntu 9.10
    I'll be happy to share the resulting deps, but unsure where would be a good place to put them.
    Suggestions please

Ole

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Replies, replies.

@dorkdork777
    I hope that I was able to help you out. As for redistributing the finished .debs, I'd be toeing a very thin legal line regarding redistribution of modified .deb files without being able to give the license as well. I hope that Canon can clear this out.

@Xero Xenith
    I haven't tried that, so I can't give you a definitive answer there. The rationale in changing the dependencies of the .deb instead of installing a transitional/dummy package is one of security for me, however - I like to make sure that every package I install can be accounted for.

@headmower
    If the dependency is just libcupsys2, I don't see why the method I suggested won't work.

@mrfotheringham
    Thanks for pointing that out. Executing the commands in 3. will produce 2 folders in the same location. When repackaging the driver, DEBIAN needs to be a subfolder of common. Thus, you would need to move DEBIAN into common prior to executing dpkg to build the .deb file. Hope this clears things out.

@uniomni
    If you used my guide, glad the steps I outlined worked for you. Again, best to consult the license you downloaded the files under before uploading the modified .debs. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by Edgar Ilaga; October 31st, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Replies, replies.

I've just finished installing my Canon MP600R - the Jaunty dummy libcupsys2 passed through any checks fine, and the printer is now working perfectly without having to follow the above. I'd be interested to know if it works for anyone else - could someone test?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Replies, replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Xenith View Post
    I've just finished installing my Canon MP600R - the Jaunty dummy libcupsys2 passed through any checks fine, and the printer is now working perfectly without having to follow the above. I'd be interested to know if it works for anyone else - could someone test?
    Finish to install my ip2600.
    Got the drivers from Canon Europe and the libcupsys2 package from Package.Ubuntu.
    Installation order:
    1. libcupsys2_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.1_all.deb
    2. cnijfilter-common_2.90-1_i386.deb
    3. cnijfilter-ip2600series_2.90-1_i386.deb
    Then i used CUPS to setup the printer. Work well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I guess that would work as well, though I'd have to caution you against doing that. libcupsys2_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.1_all.deb has a published vulnerability as per http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/149025 - and no, that package isn't a transitional or dummy package.

Given the information on hand, I personally would still recommend changing the dependency on libcupsys2 to libcups2 until a proper transitional package gets released on the Ubuntu repos.
    Last edited by Edgar Ilaga; October 31st, 2009 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast