Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Beans

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Hi Arup,

Quote Originally Posted by Arup View Post
    Thanks so then for latest mplayer compile requiring vdpau, 190xx series drivers should be a prerequisite then.
    Some final confirmation here:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...er/078126.html

Interesting times indeed .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Arup,

Some final confirmation here:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...er/078126.html

Interesting times indeed .

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, will be watching that thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Andrew, I've successfully compiled mplayer with ffmpeg-mt but I have some problems. When I play Bluray files, frames are dropped while my dual core CPU is not fully used and the load is not spread evenly between the 2 cores. By default the governor is set to ondemand but even when I fix the frequency of my 2 cores at their maximum speed, the problem remains.

I've tried several options like noframedrop and cache size, but the issue remains. Here is a screenshot to show the CPU load when playing a m2ts file: http://bofphile.free.fr/Images/Capture-1.jpg

I'm using a Thinkpad T500 with a 2,67GHz dual core CPU and an integrated intel 4500MHD graphic card.

Any idea what could be the problem ?

Beans

Hi bofphile,

Quote Originally Posted by bofphile View Post
    Andrew, I've successfully compiled mplayer with ffmpeg-mt but I have some problems. When I play Bluray files, frames are dropped while my dual core CPU is not fully used and the load is not spread evenly between the 2 cores. By default the governor is set to ondemand but even when I fix the frequency of my 2 cores at their maximum speed, the problem remains.
    I am afraid that my knowledge of MPlayer-mt is confined to the single time I have successfully compiled it, and to tell the truth I immediately returned to the standard MPlayer once I was satisfied of my success. Perhaps there are some dedicated MPlayer-mt users here or on the thread dedicated to the subject that can help out? This thread is here:

HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049449

I note on this thread there is a manual replacement of the static FFmpeg with FFmpeg-mt files, a technique I have not tried myself.

My apologies,

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for your help anyway .
    I'll try to ask on the thread you suggested above.

Beans

This might be outside the scope of this guide, but I want to compile mine with mencoder as well. You listed:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    $ ./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer --disable-mencoder
    $ make
    $ sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
       --pkgname mplayer-nogui --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
       --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn-`grep "#define VERSION" version.h | cut -d"-" -f2`"
    $ make distclean
    I changed the configure line to this:
    Code:
    ./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer
    Do I need to alter the checkinstall line (or have two?). Example appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!

I have mencoder working here with Acidrip, during the compilation omit the --disable mencoder from ./configure line and then for install use

sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
    --pkgname mplayer-nogui --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
    --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn-`grep "#define VERSION" version.h | cut -d"-" -f2`" --provides "mplayer,mencoder"

Beans

Well that got mencoder installed... but I'm having trouble with the encoding itself... mencoder is Skipping Frames like crazy on my video. This use to happen on both mplayer/mencoder with the 9.10 builds...

Funny thing is, mplayer can play the file fine now (which is a step in the right direction), but mencoder is still choking.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zackiv31 View Post
    Well that got mencoder installed... but I'm having trouble with the encoding itself... mencoder is Skipping Frames like crazy on my video. This use to happen on both mplayer/mencoder with the 9.10 builds...

Funny thing is, mplayer can play the file fine now (which is a step in the right direction), but mencoder is still choking.
    Try using all the cores of your CPU, also can you tell me what video card you have on your system.

Beans

Hi zackiv,

Quote Originally Posted by zackiv31 View Post
    Well that got mencoder installed... but I'm having trouble with the encoding itself... mencoder is Skipping Frames like crazy on my video.
    I will admit that I gave up on MEncoder a while back and pretty much exclusively use FFmpeg. I am not sure what level of commitment the MPlayer developers still give to MEncoder...

Andrew

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast