Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Beans

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Hi mc4man,

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Andrew's guides all present solid 'methods' that should be good for quite some time with minor adjustments if needed.
    I still regret a little not working on these guides and I have been thinking of writing a new one in my upcoming 2 months holiday, courtesy of Virtualbox, that would focus on the svn mplayer and the most recent release of Ubuntu in a 'rolling release' fashion. This would be a lot easier on my time while still giving a forum for those interested in the cutting edge MPlayer. This would be somewhat against the Ubuntu policy of support for older versions of the distro but it would certainly work better for usage of my time in front of a computer, which recently has had many constraints.

Things missing at the moment from the guide at the moment include use of libvpx, easily added in by following Fakeoutdoorsman's guide, use of the external libass and perhaps rtmp support by compiling rtmpdump and a few other bits and pieces. If a new guide springs from the ashes I would again be constrained by my lack of a suitable card for vdpau and my considerable lack of interest in vaapi, -mt etc .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I still regret a little not working on these guides and I have been thinking of writing a new one in my upcoming 2 months holiday, courtesy of Virtualbox, that would focus on the svn mplayer and the most recent release of Ubuntu in a 'rolling release' fashion.
    I like this idea and would prefer to this this myself as well. Juggling the many Ubuntu revisions is a task in itself, and one that I have been falling behind on (no libvpx on any of the < Karmic FFmpeg guides for example).

Beans

Hi mc4man,

In another interesting flip-flop with mplayer - maverick atm has gone back to using mplayer with the internal ffmpeg enabled, to bad it's a 15 month old version belatedly released in may (MPlayer 1.0rc3
    Some interesting times ahead, you may have already read this post:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...ly/065560.html

Sounds good?

Andrew

Beans

read this post:
    If I'm reading correctly these packages will be in a ppa, the 'official' will do whatever it tends to do. (being nice
    It is a real positive thing that Mr. Tartler does see the need for current mplayer builds and could be a great ppa for people.

For videos I've pretty much moved back to mplayer here - one setup supports vdpau and mplayer implements it very nicely.

(( I noticed you updated your vlc to the 0.6 (and 0.6 amd patch), too bad that need to patch isn't going away - though 0.6 is a pretty solid 'base' for vlc.

Though looking thru a script for something else I think one could 'sandbox' a shared ffmpeg just for vlc, more of an exercise than practical...

Beans

Hi mc4man,

If I'm reading correctly these packages will be in a ppa, the 'official' will do whatever it tends to do. (being nice
    It is a real positive thing that Mr. Tartler does see the need for current mplayer builds and could be a great ppa for people.
    It will be good to see yet another option available under Ubuntu for those who need a more recent snapshot. Hopefully licensing constraints will not take some of the joy away from these changes.

For videos I've pretty much moved back to mplayer here - one setup supports vdpau and mplayer implements it very nicely.
    I gather MPlayer still requires at least the 190 version of the NVidia drivers? The svn MPlayer mega-thread I am toying with must make at least a reference to the required version but I am keen not to be involved in support for installation of display drivers.

(( I noticed you updated your vlc to the 0.6 (and 0.6 amd patch), too bad that need to patch isn't going away - though 0.6 is a pretty solid 'base' for vlc.
    That guide has not proven to be a big hit on these forums which is a pity when I think of the work I put into it . Still it taught me a lot about building vlc-git and vlc release, my own personal copy of vlc 1.1.1 is now built very specifically to my own needs and with a little more tinkering should be almost perfect .

Though looking thru a script for something else I think one could 'sandbox' a shared ffmpeg just for vlc, more of an exercise than practical...
    On a distro without the considerable constraints of dependency tracking a shared FFmpeg is no great drama. On my Slackware setup I compile vlc 1.1.1 against a shared FFmpeg and it works beautifully, even the ability to transcode to h264/aac etc works better, although I am not entirely clear why this should work better with shared rather than static...

Andrew

Beans

Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I like this idea and would prefer to this this myself as well. Juggling the many Ubuntu revisions is a task in itself, and one that I have been falling behind on (no libvpx on any of the < Karmic FFmpeg guides for example).
    Well in a fit of insomnia brought on by nightshift I have completed the threatened guide and posted it in tutorials and tips. Moderation can be a little variable so could be appearing soon or not so soon . A few changes in approach in this guide that will hopefully make it more inviting to less technically-minded users...

Andrew

Beans

I gather MPlayer still requires at least the 190 version of the NVidia drivers? The svn MPlayer mega-thread I am toying with must make at least a reference to the required version but I am keen not to be involved in support for installation of display drivers
    Anyone with a vdpau capable card will be using nvidia-current or self installed from nvidia so that's not an issue at all starting in lucid onwards. Mplayer will autodetect support, at least here with nvidia-current that's just libvdpau-dev.
    (have yet to use the nvidia site drivers, so don't know if they provide the headers or not, - I'm sure someone could say.

Other than that it would just be implementation - here I set mplayer to do so automatically thru a vc= line in the config
    It would be nice if mplayer could force/autoset a vo based on the vc, vdpau for the supported codecs, a default choice for the rest, xv here.
    - maybe it can and I don't see the way...

(though I tend to use mplayer from the right click menu where one can have as many 'different' named/configured mplayers as needed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It is best to now leave $HOME/mplayer undisturbed as you can return at a later date to run the command svn up to download the latest changes in the MPlayer source code, and then recompile.
    Hi
    Please can you explain how to use svn up when I come to update mplayer-nogui.
    What's the update procedure?

Beans

What's the update procedure?
    just cd to your mplayer source folder, make sure your source is clean,
    (if you didn't do after previous build then run
    make distclean
    to update simply this - will update any changed files

svn up

Then, if desired, do a new build starting at the
    ./configure <whatever you used or now want to use>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks mc4man

I understand.
    Mission accomplished.
    MPlayer SVN-r31878-4.3.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast