Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet very slow in 9.10?

Beans

Internet very slow in 9.10?

This is probably the 1000th time this has been asked, any reason, any fixes?

Running wireless off 25MB cable broadband, was fine in 9.04

Beans

Re: Internet very slow in 9.10?

Can you be more specific??

I know a lot of people (inc. me) were having problems with DNS - web pages take ages to load and the status bar says "resolving host".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ljrmorgan View Post
    I know a lot of people (inc. me) were having problems with DNS - web pages take ages to load and the status bar says "resolving host".
    Yes, that's the trouble I'm having, only the status bar says "Looking up [website]..." What is the fix? When I've had this trouble in the past, it was because my Actiontec DSL gateway puts an incorrect DNS address in the first spot. The solution was to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf and then do "sudo chattr +i resolv.conf" to keep it from being rewritten. Unfortunately, that isn't working for me now.

Beans

I had the same issue and fixed it by putting in my DNS servers manually.

Click on your network settings, then go into the ivp4 settings and change it to Automatic (DHCP) Adresses only. Then put in your two DNS servers in the DNS box (separated by a comma).

Reboot.

Worked for me, worth a shot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
    Click on your network settings, then go into the ivp4 settings and change it to Automatic (DHCP) Adresses only. Then put in your two DNS servers in the DNS box (separated by a comma).

Reboot.
    That did the trick for me as well; thank you!

Beans

I was having the same problem with my Dell Studio XPS 1640 w/ Intel WiFi 5300. I noticed on the 5GHz wireless network the webpages would not load, internet was slow, the dns server fix kind of worked. I switched to the 2.4GHz network and it worked fine... dunno if anyone else has this same issue. 5GHz works fine when I switch over to Windows 7.

- Dan

Beans

I have the same problem as you after upgrade to karmic. I feel really stupid but which dns numbers am I suppose to put in?
    Mythbuntu 10.04 AMD64 2xPVR500
    Ubuntu 10.04 Acer 2310
    Ubuntu 10.10 CQ60
    Ubuntu 12.04 AspireOne d255

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

I feel even more stupid. Why should I use a dns server that is not connected to my isp. Or have I misunderstood your problems. Everything worke perfectly with 9.04 after the upgrade to 9.10 the connection went up 10-15 % but connection to several sites is extremely slow. But if I test the speed to a speed test site I got extremeley good speed.
    Mythbuntu 10.04 AMD64 2xPVR500
    Ubuntu 10.04 Acer 2310
    Ubuntu 10.10 CQ60
    Ubuntu 12.04 AspireOne d255

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i'm not an expert, but i guess the dns-server is independent from the provider even if the isp generally has its own dns-server. but obviously you can choose your own dns-server. the connection speed indicates the time the data you requested from a web-server is transmitted to you, but name resolving via the dns is a separate process that is performed first. this explains why with karmic a page request is delayed for a few seconds until the name resolving is complete and after this downloads are performed at normal speed.

would be great if someone could analyse why this bug is new with karmic and would file a decent bug-report...
    Last edited by atarax42; October 30th, 2009 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast