Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HPLIP Fax driver not installing in 9.10

Beans

HPLIP Fax driver not installing in 9.10

Hi there! I'm a relatively new user to Linux, my previous experience being mainly embedded linux on the NSLU2. I had an old PC and decided to see what all the fuss was about, so today I installed Ubuntu for the first time. So far so good! Got it hooked up to my Sony Bravia via the vga port and got an old Geforce 2MX pumping out 1360x768 using the Nvidia driver, looks awesome! Also got all the extra restricted codecs and whatnot, no troubles at all.

The only trouble is the HPLIP fax driver. I did the sudo aptitude install hplip-gui "work-around", so that I could then do the sudo hp-setup. Everything went well, it detected my networked HP C7280 without problems, and I've since tested the printing and scanning and both are fine. However right at the end, terminal reports the following:

\error: Unable to locate the HPLIP Fax PPD file: HP-Fax-hpcups.ppd.gz Fax setup has been disabled
    Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? Like I say I'm new to Linux really, although I think I'm doing pretty good so far!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HPLIP Fax driver not installing in 9.10

I am in the same boat. So, anybody that figures this out, great!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm working on it... (a workaround that is)

I'll report back soon.
    No matter how great your product is, if you don't throw time and money against it it's a sh#tt# system. ubuntu <-> apple <-> microsoft

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: HPLIP Fax driver not installing in 9.10

Got it!

Downloaded the tarball here;
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...os/ubuntu.html

And folowed Naga Samrat's instructions found here;
    https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/88043
    go to System -> Administrator -> Synaptic Package Manager
    Search for "hplip" and remove if any previous installation of HPLIP is there.

In the hplip-3.9.8 directory execute the following commands

sudo apt-get update

sudo aptitude install --assume-yes libcupsys2 cupsddk cupsddk-drivers libcupsys2-dev cupsys-bsd libcupsimage2-dev libdbus-1-dev build-essential gs-esp openssl libjpeg62-dev libsnmp-dev libtool libusb-dev python-imaging policykit policykit-gnome python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dbus python-gobject python-dev python-notify python python-reportlab libsane libsane-dev sane-utils xsane

for 32-bit distro
    ./configure --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP --prefix=/usr --enable-qt4 --enable-doc-build --enable-cups-ppd-install --disable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-foomatic-ppd-install --disable-hpijs-install --disable-policykit --disable-cups-drv-install --enable-hpcups-install --enable-network-build --enable-dbus-build --enable-scan-build --enable-fax-build

for 64-bit distro
    ./configure --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-qt4 --enable-doc-build --enable-cups-ppd-install --disable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-foomatic-ppd-install --disable-hpijs-install --disable-policykit --disable-cups-drv-install --enable-hpcups-install --enable-network-build --enable-dbus-build --enable-scan-build --enable-fax-build

make
    sudo make install

Thank you for supporting HPLIP,
    Naga Samrat.
    Well, there seem to be more quirks in Karmic, but we'll get there!
    Anyway, compiling it from the hplip source fixed it for me!
    No matter how great your product is, if you don't throw time and money against it it's a sh#tt# system. ubuntu <-> apple <-> microsoft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

An alternative (which the purists may not agree with) is to simply extract the missing files from a tarball and then copy them into the same directory as the other Fax ppds (/usr/share/ppd/hlip/HP from memory as I am at work now and not in front of my home machine). You need to do this as root to make sure that permissions are the same as the other files.

I had the same problem and this worked fine for me - but of course if you are not happy doing this then the more structured approach as suggested would be a better bet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hey, I overlooked a solution that simple

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, that method sounds better. So, which files do I need to copy to the hp driver folder?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm a newbie, so perhaps this is out of order, but I had those problems too, and I missed the obvious answer because it was too simple for my feeble mind. But did anyone just try "Asministration -> Printing" and then selecting "NEW" at the top left of the box that appears. After much convoluted efforts to to it the hard way, that simple effort installed my HP printer, and even enabled the Duplexer, which I was unable to get working in Jaunty. Just a thought, and apologies for intruding.
    // Don
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Toshiba P755-S5390 / Core I7 / 8 gigs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I copied the two files HP-Fax2-hpcups.ppd.gz and HP-Fax-hpcups.ppd.gz - although hpsetup only complained about not finding one of these I saw no harm in copying both of them. I put them in the same directory as the existing HP-Fax*-hpijs.ppd.gz files which is /usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP. I would guess this would be the same directory on any standard install but in any case just look for the hpijs files and put the hpcups files in the same directory.

I got the files from hplip-3.9.8.tar.gz that I downloaded from the hplip project pages. The files were in the fax/ppd subdirectory.

I notice there is a new 3.9.10 version of hplip so perhaps that correctly installs the missing files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Manyette, it's good that you were able to get that working on your system. Unfortunately I tried all available ways (including that one) and in every case although the printer aspect of my 6180 All-in-one installed correctly every time the fax part never did because of the reported missing file.

Maybe there was something wrong with the hplip install so the needed files didn't get installedt. It would be interesting to know whether in your install the files as mentioned above are present in the /usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP directory without there having been any intervention on your part which would imply the install doing something different?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast