Thread: No Static IP on Karmic 9.10 (confirm button greyed out)

Beans

No Static IP on Karmic 9.10 (confirm button greyed out)

Hi

I installed 9.10 Desktop 32-bit in Virtualbox. When I try to change from DHCP to a static IP, the button to confirm is greyed out and I can't save this settings. Anyone with the same Problem or ideas to solve this ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Static IP on Karmic 9.10 (confirm button greyed out)

You're farther along than am I. Network Manager seems to automatically detect my 2 NIC cards, but I cannot change them from DHCP. I had to create a new connection (named `Wired`) but I cannot ensure it is always used at boot time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

While I haven't upgraded to 9.10 yet, I have stopped using network manager for some time preferring to modify the files manually.

Code:
    sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces
    will let you modify the dynamic settings

Code:
    sudo vim /etc/resolv.conf
    to manage nameserver info.

Then simply restart the network and the problem is solved
    Nil Illegitimus Carborundum!

Beans

I edited

and put my stuff in it like i did it a time ago but after restart my network doesn't work anymore. After I deleted the input it won't start anymore.
    Does nobody has this Problem ? It's now since 8.10 that the network manager doesn't work any good. It's strange because that's what should work to go in the internet with static ip ?!
    I you can't use DHCP...

Beans

It seems to be even worse in Karmic than in 8.10 and 9.04, I can't make any sense of the Karmic networking applet at all now - eh???

This worked for me on Karmic, I now have a static IP: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1309835

You have to remove network-manager and network-manager-gnome before you set up the static IP manually or your changes will just be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by irvin View Post
    Hi

I installed 9.10 Desktop 32-bit in Virtualbox. When I try to change from DHCP to a static IP, the button to confirm is greyed out and I can't save this settings. Anyone with the same Problem or ideas to solve this ?
    I think you mean the "apply" button? It worked 100% for me, if the button was greyed out, you didn't have all the required settings entered.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by irvin View Post
    I edited

and put my stuff in it like i did it a time ago but after restart my network doesn't work anymore. After I deleted the input it won't start anymore.
    Does nobody has this Problem ? It's now since 8.10 that the network manager doesn't work any good. It's strange because that's what should work to go in the internet with static ip ?!
    I you can't use DHCP...
    If it didn't work, then you didn't set it up properly. Post your interfaces file and perhaps someone can tell you how to fix it.

Beans

Now I removed the network Manager

sudo apt-get remove network-manager network-manager-gnome

and added this to the interfaces file

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.2.16
    network 192.168.2.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.2.255
    gateway 192.168.2.1

Now, it works

But, I did a lot of new installations and I could never make a static IP with the Network manager (always greyed out).

But Now I edited the interfaces file to its original settings and installed the network manager via Synaptic again.

And now, surprise it works with the Gnome Network Manager