Beans

Re: AC3 - SPDIF Passthrough - Pulseaudio - Karmic 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by whittaker007 View Post
    I managed to get it working without removing Pulse. Here is what I did:

1. Install the Alsa libraries
    2. Open the Pulse default Sound Preferences
    3. Click the Hardware tab
    4. Choose Analog Stereo Duplex profile
    5. In every application that supports hardware configuration, set sound output to IEC985 or similar

Of course your hardware may differ. The surprising thing for me is that if I select any other non-digital profile other than Analog Stereo Duplex it doesn't work. But I now have automatic 5.1 and stereo out working in VLC and XBMC. I haven't spent enough time with MythTV to get that working yet, and I only get stereo from the other media players, but VLC, XBMC and MythTV are the only ones I care about.

My system volume seems to be stable now and not muting on restart, however I also recently switched to Linux Mint (built on Karmic) so I don't know whether that made a difference in that case. I also fixed my VNC problem, though that's OT.
    Thanks -- this worked perfectly. After three different installs of Ubuntu/XBMC, and over 20+ hours, who would have guessed the solution would be so simple?

Beans

Talking Re: AC3 - SPDIF Passthrough - Pulseaudio - Karmic 9.10

I've been trying to sort this out for weeks now. Tried installing alsa, removing pulse, re-adding it, touching every audio config file under the sun without any luck, and yet this simple solution worked straight away.
    I CAN'T THANK YOU GUYS ENOUGH!!

Beans

HAHA

It worked!!!!

Who could believed that

Beans

Angry Re: AC3 - SPDIF Passthrough - Pulseaudio - Karmic 9.10

I'm glad my solution worked for you guys!

Unfortunately some recent update has broken it again for me, along with a few other things. Now I can get 5.1 out of VLC but I'm stuck with stereo on XBMC. No combination of output hardware selections in system and XBMC seem to work - including manually typing in the audio hardware to output to in XBMC (hw:0,1).

I's been over 4 months since I set the machine up and despite spending nearly half of every weekend fiddling with it I still don't have a stable user-friendly way to play back audio and video. I really want this to work but for the amount of time I've spent it probably would have been worth buying Windows 7 media center... I can't stand Windows, but it does work most of the time now.

Beans

Sod's law - after having this problem for weeks, the moment I feel it necessary to complain about it in a forum post, it fixes itself through another update. Oh well...!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by lekzz View Post
    Passthrough is working for me, however playing normal (non-passthrough) audio seems to "mute" passthrough. Pressing mute and unmute makes passthrough work again.
    This "mute" is also not showing in alsa-mixer, as everything is set like it should. But then again it's passthrough.

example after reboot:
    open movie with passthrough - audio works
    close movie
    open movie with mp3 - audio works
    close movie
    open movie with passthrough - no audio
    while movie open mute/unmute - audio works again

This happened during one of the last updates before 9.10 final, as i was running 9.10 from alpha6 and had no problems until just before the final.
    I am experience this behaviour too! Very annoying, pulseaudio is in 9.10 still very buggy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whittaker007 View Post
    I managed to get it working without removing Pulse. Here is what I did:

1. Install the Alsa libraries
    2. Open the Pulse default Sound Preferences
    3. Click the Hardware tab
    4. Choose Analog Stereo Duplex profile
    5. In every application that supports hardware configuration, set sound output to IEC985 or similar
    This worked! Thank you!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey guys, just thought to share my experience on my recent HTPC install with LinuxMint 9 - Lucid based, 64 bit version.

I did exactly as described here... although I didn't need to install alsa-tools it seemed to already be installed (maybe a dependancy of some of my software?)...

Set PA to audio stereo duplex (left it alone as default) and unmuted and turned volume on on everything in alsamixer.

This got me both stereo and passthrough in VLC (set to use spdif and alsa output). Desktop sounds work.

Next installed XBMC - audio default, passthrough iec958 - works.
    Latest Boxee install - audio default, passthrough custom: iec958
    - everything started working when I turned off menu sounds (which is strange because they work normal in XBMC).

Now the problems... sometimes when switching rapidly between passthrough and stereo encoded videos, stereo seems to get muted.
    The workaround is to drop to another terminal (i.e. ctrl+alt+f7) and than back (ctrl+alt+f8) and for some reason- voila the sound is restored instantly (the coursor gets stuck on screen and it also disappears with a alt+tab twice).

the dropouts seem to be related to rapid switching (i.e. sub 10 sec), but I'm not sure yet.

found a possible workaround on XBMC wiki, but it doesn't really work for me - I get stable stereo, but no passthrough at all... comments anyone?
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._digital_audio

can anyone help me get audio to work stable?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NiksaVel View Post
    can anyone help me get audio to work stable?
    Forget the 1,000 workarounds on the 'net. The only thing that worked for me is to give PulseAudio the boot (can somebody hack their site, server and office to let them disappear from the Galaxy, please?). See this Ubuntuforum thread (should be sticky): http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313253

Summary:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base alsamixergui
    sudo apt-get install esound esound-clients esound-common libesd-alsa0 gnome-alsamixer
    Reboot.

Notes:
    -run gstreamer-properties in terminal to set defaults to alsa (the old system/preferences/sound in jaunty)
    -remove gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio to get sound in totem
    -gnome-alsamixer is for changing the volume, not an applet but better that nothing

Beans

Lightbulb Re: AC3 - SPDIF Passthrough - Pulseaudio - Karmic 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by adix87 View Post
    I had this problem. Here is what i did.
    First, sorry for my bad english.

The problem was that i did not get surround sound from my Toslink optical cable. Only stereo. My soundcard is Xplosion 7.1 something..
    Well first i didn't get sound at all but then i enabled IEC958 output from ALSA mixer that i installed from ubuntu software center.
    Now i hear stereo sound.

Now for 5.1 passthrough.
    Before you remove anything and mess up everything try this. Launch VLC, go to options -> Audio. Enable"Use S/PDIF when available" AND select Output device. "Default" is NOT okay here. You need to choose ALSA audio output. Default is something else i don't know. This will probably work for other players if they let you choose the output. But for example the normal "movie player" doesn't work with DTS or DD for me.
    This is how i got it working.. other stuff i did was:
    I removed the pulseaudio stuff from my system by launching "Ubuntu Software Center" and searched for pulseaudio and removed all packages i saw.
    This step might not be necessary.
    And in GNOME ALSA Mixer i have enabled IEC958 5V, IEC958 Copyright and IEC958 Output.
    And if you go to System -> Pref -> Sound -> Hardware tab . It is okay that it says "Digital output Stereo". VLC will still play in 5.1 DTS or DD because its passtrough, and youtube clips will play in stereo but also through optical cable.

If this didn't work, reeboot and try in VLC again.

I hope i helped atleast someone.
    Thank You so Much. This solved my spdif problem that I have all but given up on. The key was setting the output device. I will be quoting this solution on my forum as well. http://lipeimagination.info/forum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123