Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight for Linux ? Make your voices heard !

Beans

Lightbulb Torchlight for Linux ? Make your voices heard !

Hello people !

A few months ago I've added the cRPG game Torchlight under the "maybe" list of native Linux games because it was developed with Ogre3D and will have a MacOSX version.

Now that the game is finally out for Windows, it's time to make your voices heard in favor of the Linux port !

In a thread I've found on their website , more then a few people already voted their support for the Linux client : http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=901 .
    The developers however didn't answer their potential costumers.

I've sent an P.M to one of the developers :

"Hello

I've send an email to runic games a few months ago but got no replay.
    I've registred to the forums and posted about it but also none got an official replay.

I was wondering if you are planing on porting Torchlight to Linux.
    Ogre3D is cross platform and porting the game should be no problem, there are even people who wish to help you do so if you don't have the time.

Is there a chance for a Linux client for Torchlight ?

Thanks in Advance
    Maxim."

And even got a replay :

"Maxim,

Unfortunately we do not have any linux plans decided at this time. I think some people are trying to get it working under WINE but I have not heard much about it (there are a few threads going on that if you want to look). We do have a FAQ page on the website which does have our official statement on other operating systems too, its a bit far down though.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/faq/#faq18

Thanks,"

So it's not a definite "NO" , a Linux native client still have a chance.
    So vote your support on their website and there might be a Linux client !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Torchlight for Linux ? Make your voices heard !

Sure, done.

Beans

Bump
    vote++

Beans

I've also posted in there and have been in talks with one of the developers who is all for a linux client but needs help convincing Travis, Max and Erich. That thread gained a lot of momentum last night and in case he hadn't seen it I forwarded a link to the developer as well as to Max and Travis.

I have already purchased the game and was one of the ones trying to get it running in wine. The game itself works perfectly under wine with the exception that you have to change your resolution in the config file, doing it in the game ui will crash the game. I have tried it on 9.10 64-bit with wine 1.1.32 and 9.04 64-bit with wine 1.0.1 on mine and my wifes laptops. We played for about 10 hours last night with 0 problems.

Well there is a problem. In order to do that, I had to download a cracked version of the game I had already purchased 2 copies of and the setup required a number of steps. The game itself runs great, the problem lies in the drm'd launcher.

The game has already been ported to Mac and will be released very shortly. Using Orge3D and OpenGL 99% of the work is already done for them, so a Linux client is just an executive decision at this point. Go cast your vote to show the execs how much of a demand there really is for such a high visibility release such as this.

To those that are not familiar, this is the crew behind diablo, diablo 2, starcraft, warcraft 3 and the initial design and planning of world of warcraft. The left after blizzard sold out to vivendi and spent 4 years creating the crap game hellgate:london and a wonderful FREE hack and slash rpg called mythos that never made it out of beta. Hellgate:London brought them to their knees is debt and they sold all their ip eventually starting runic games and the torchlight project. It was released on Tuesday and is a blast of a game, the MMO expansion for it is due out in 1.5 - 2 years. At a $20 retail cost, this game is awesome, I can finally lay down my sorceress hat and retire d2.

Beans

Thanks for the update.
    I did read in the forums (maybe posted by you ?) that the cracked version runs on Wine while the legal version isn't, due to DRM issues.

But I think that most of you agree with me that there is a big difference between the game to run 100% on Wine and a native Linux version.

So I do believe that eventually they will come to their senses and make a Linux port - and never look back and regret it.

Beans

That wasn't me, but I have been fighting them for a Linux native client since the moment it was released and wouldn't run in wine. I can't find a way around the DRM just yet. Running the downloadable client in wine would be fine with me if the game didn't have so many dependencies you need to install through wine (mono, dcom98, vc2005, vc2008). Then have have to change 3 config files to run it under opengl. A native client definitely is the way to go and should be very trivial. As you mentioned and other have on their forums, if they aren't willing to do the porting, the Linux community will. Even if it just an unsupported downloadable installer like Quake would be great, the ability to install from retail cds (released in Jan) would be even better, and best would be a separate linux game so they can see just how much Linux can increase their bottom line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lgtspecb; October 29th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Done.
    Hope this goes somewhere .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

pity. I was hoping this would go somewhere but it sounds like they are not interested in our money.

Guess I'll look elsewhere for a product similar to this (0AD??) and runs natively in linux.

and yes, I'd pay for it if they ported it. I have a nice list of commercial software that runs native in linux (no Wine needed)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its a damn shame the Steam version doesn't run under Wine. (Or Cedega or Codeweavers) I had figured since it was such a simple game gfx wise it would be a non-issue it never occurred to me DRM issues would arise :/

Ahh well, in the mean time at least I have a shiny new copy of Borderlands to keep me entertained

~Jeff

Beans

I have played this game on *******. It's quite good, it will be better if there is a Linux version. But I am not holding my breath.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast